PDA

View Full Version : Source of very small steel shot

baogongmeo
05-07-2015, 09:48 PM
I had a dispenser for Post-it notes that I was not using that was weighted.
The weight media would sift around when I would shake it and it seemed to be too heavy to be sand so I pried it open.
There was approximately 11/2 lbs of a very fine shot...like maybe #12 size.
I was hoping that it was lead but it stuck to a magnet.
What does the hive think about using it for handgun shot loads? I don't think that there would be any problem as long as it was loaded in the shot capsules but what about the gas check method?
I doubt that it was created for use in firearms but more probably for media blasting so it's probably hard.

Anyhow if anyone wants to look for one of these to source shot,it was about 4" square by an inch or so thick,black in color and on the bottom was C-4214 Designer
Pop Up Note Dispenser.

randyrat
05-07-2015, 10:57 PM
If I was not afraid of scratching the bore of my gun with steal shot, I would just place a heavy paper wad over the powder..Then I would heat up some cheap candle wax and put your shot in there. When it is good and hot, above 180 deg F I would scoop it (hot wax and hot shot) into the charged brass and let it cool.

The only thing to watch is shrinkage, you don't want the waxed shot fall out just before the gun goes off, you could have a slam fire or whatever you call it.. Space between the powder and the projectile is bad.
Heat your wax good and hot, just before it starts smoking and maybe crimp the bullet a little.
It would make a short range snake load.
The only other way is to make a shot cup out of a plastic milk carton, a real pain

Dale53
05-07-2015, 11:49 PM
I would not shoot steel shot in ANY gun I cared for. If it contacts the bore, the revolver is ruined.

Not for me, thank you.

I have a small bag of steel shot around here somewhere and I discounted the possibility of using in a handgun fifty years ago.

I just ordered a small bag of #12 lead shot from Ballistic Products - it will pretty much be a lifetime supply and no problem using it in shot cartridges whatsoever.

FWIW
Dale53