PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 Fdh#2

Johnw...ski
03-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Well, I changed the scope to a 6-24X Bushnell,although it didn't immediately reduce the group size it sure is nice to be able to see the boolit holes. More load work has gotten the groups down to 2" at 100 yds, and I am hoping to get closer to 1". The load that is working is 42.5 gr IMR 3031 with a .459 dia. 425 gr. gas checked flat nose boolit, the same as a lyman 405 gr. but a little heavy for some reason. They are boolits I am buying online and have been real consistant in weight and diameter so far. Velocity should be about 1500FPS.

Next trip to the range I will try loads useing H4895 and Benchmark at similar velocities.

I know that in other posts I mentioned I was trying to keep to a few powders for all my needs, doesn't seem to be working that way though.

Here is a picture of the latest configuration of this rifle.

John

4060MAY
03-16-2008, 11:03 AM
try 22-23gr SR4759, under 1" in my Rolling Block at 100yds, with 500gr RCBS bullet sized .459

Acc. 5744 is good as well.

Not fast, about 1180, but I wanted accuracy and BP Velocities.

The Q last year was won by a guy with a 45-70, 22gr SR4759 (IIRC)
might have been 23gr, most likely 500gr+bullet, but that is out to at least 600yds, accurately

Harry O
03-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Has anybody tried Trail Boss in the 45-70 yet? If so, what results?

Ammohouse
03-16-2008, 09:53 PM
My normal 45-70 load is 45grn/3031 w/405s.
I just loaded up some 405s with 12grn of Trail Boss last night.
These will be shot out of my 15" Encore and shouldn't be too bad...I just need a range day!

The Double D
03-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Is that a DeHaas Vault Lock? Did you make it?

500 FAN
03-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Tried Trail Boss, Was Very Dirty And Low Velocity,around 900 Fps Accuracy Good. Talked With Trail Boss People About The Future Of A Powder With More Powder , He Said It Was Not In The Cards!!

charger 1
03-24-2008, 02:31 PM
43 grains of RL7 if that 405 is GC'd. 37 if not.. 37 load has my orig 86 consistantly sub moa with the ladder irons. If it were scopable it'd be worm hole

KCSO
03-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Trail Boss in 45-70...
Not a primo powder for this caliber, there isn't enouogh velocity for a proper hunitng load and not enough accuracy for target shooting.

Johnw...ski
03-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Is that a DeHaas Vault Lock? Did you make it?

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I guess I missed your post.
Frank DeHaas called it an FDH System No. 2 or FDH#2 but I believe it is the same as a Vault Lock. And yes I did make it.

John

Johnw...ski
03-24-2008, 04:54 PM
43 grains of RL7 if that 405 is GC'd. 37 if not.. 37 load has my orig 86 consistantly sub moa with the ladder irons. If it were scopable it'd be worm hole

I do have some Reloader 7 and will get around to trying it.
Everyones opinion seems to be the 1 in 14" twist is way too fast so just for the hell of it I plan to try some 535 gr cast boolits next.

If it's happier with heavy boolits thats what I will use.

John

badgeredd
03-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Sorry it took me so long to reply, I guess I missed your post.
Frank DeHaas called it an FDH System No. 2 or FDH#2 but I believe it is the same as a Vault Lock. And yes I did make it.

John

John,
I'm in the process of building 2 DeHass #2 actions. Because I have access to EDM machines, I am making them with a square falling block. Got any pointers for me? Fine looking rifle there guy!

Johnw...ski
03-30-2008, 08:31 AM
John,
I'm in the process of building 2 DeHass #2 actions. Because I have access to EDM machines, I am making them with a square falling block. Got any pointers for me? Fine looking rifle there guy!

Thanks for the compliment. I had thought of getting a broach to produce a hole for a square breach block but never did.

If you have access to a wire EDM you will have a heck of an advantage cutting the hole for the breach block, the slot for the trigger guard, and the slot in the trigger guard for the trigger group. A conventional or plunge EDM will take a lot of care to keep taper out of the hole. For everything to work right all mating parts need to be straight and parallel. Fit is everything.

Good Luck,

John

badgeredd
03-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the compliment. I had thought of getting a broach to produce a hole for a square breach block but never did.

If you have access to a wire EDM you will have a heck of an advantage cutting the hole for the breach block, the slot for the trigger guard, and the slot in the trigger guard for the trigger group. A conventional or plunge EDM will take a lot of care to keep taper out of the hole. For everything to work right all mating parts need to be straight and parallel. Fit is everything.

Good Luck,

John

I burned the breach block hole (which was roughed out with a .750 drill) with a sinker EDM, actually burned 8 receiver blocks at the time. I made up a fixture and used a bottom flush hole in the fixture and actually burned into the fixture a half inch. They came out really straight and there are 6 of us working on our own action(s). Looks like you've done a fine job on yours. I hope to finish mine by summer.

Johnw...ski
03-30-2008, 07:20 PM
I burned the breach block hole (which was roughed out with a .750 drill) with a sinker EDM, actually burned 8 receiver blocks at the time. I made up a fixture and used a bottom flush hole in the fixture and actually burned into the fixture a half inch. They came out really straight and there are 6 of us working on our own action(s). Looks like you've done a fine job on yours. I hope to finish mine by summer.

Looks like you are off to a great start. Let me know how it works out, I have been looking for someone else shooting these.

John