PDA

View Full Version : 70 Years Ago

condorjohn
05-07-2015, 11:38 AM
Today, May 8, 1945. V-E Day. Official Day of the surrender of Germany ending the War In Europe.

fatnhappy
05-07-2015, 12:40 PM
You mean tomorrow?

Col4570
05-07-2015, 03:35 PM
I remember my Dad coming home I was 8 years of age.

condorjohn
05-07-2015, 07:05 PM
Ever since I retired I sometimes lose or gain days. Yes, Tomorrow!

Driver man
05-07-2015, 08:09 PM
Ever since I retired I sometimes lose or gain days. Yes, Tomorrow!

Today will be yesterday tomorrow. Where I am it has been the 8th for 12 hours

woodbutcher
05-07-2015, 09:10 PM
:drinks:My cousin Frank was a member of the "Greatest Generation".God Bless Them All.Never forget them.Raise a glass in honor of them.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

popper
05-08-2015, 10:37 AM
Least we forget the cost.

leftiye
05-09-2015, 07:28 AM
Thas how I tell how old I am, wait for my birthday (May 8), then look at the news article for how many years ago Victory in Europe occurred, and deduct one year. Then I cry:kidding:. Born on V.E. day, drafted on Pearl Harbor anniversary.

DoubleAdobe
05-09-2015, 02:00 PM
I am just about finished reading Field Marshal Montgomery's autobiography, written I believe in 1958. It of course has a lengthy chapter about the surrender itself, and I found a youtube video showing it.
The book itself is very interesting as it fits in with other accounts of the war I have read and stories I heard as I grew up. He was very controversial, was probably the best of the British tacticians but didn't hide his light under a bushel, that is for sure, haha. I do however recommend the book highly.

BLTsandwedge
05-10-2015, 10:24 PM
V-E day is really, reeeeaaally, important to me. There's a memorial day which many observe called Yom HaShoah- timed to reflect on the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. The two memorial days are absolutely and obviously bonded together, yet the current date of Yom HaShoah reflects a bit of re-work to fit the Jewish holidays. Yom HaShoah is not an 'official' Jewish holiday but many of us celebrate it as if it were.

This is a great example that there are cultures in America that have utterly bonded with American values but retain a distinctive personality. This is cool.

Shalom!

I should note that Yom HaShoah is the Holocaust Remembrance Day for all Jews.

BLTsandwedge
05-10-2015, 10:48 PM

And for you Bill Mauldin fans...

V-E Day: "Th' hell with it. I ain't standin' up till he does!"

PB

I've never had a prominent table in our house without one of Bill Mauldin's collections. He and Charles Schultz were buds. Mr. Schultz lived in Santa Rosa when he passed. Living in Santa Rosa, CA gave me the opportunity to do some research (that's where Snoopy's museum is). When I was still in CA, I (unknowingly) hired one of 'Sparky's' golf club clerks (Oakmont GC in Santa Rosa, CA). She worked for/with me for 10 years and had wonderful stories to tell (yep, she met Bill too). I joined Oakmont GC about 3 years too late to meet Mr. Schultz. He passed when we were living in Santa Rosa; we were unaware of his proximity to us at the time.

JeffinNZ
05-11-2015, 04:57 AM
And ironically now the Germans can walk in and out of England but Kiwi's have to wait in line, cap in hand........

DoubleAdobe
05-11-2015, 10:59 AM
And ironically now the Germans can walk in and out of England but Kiwi's have to wait in line, cap in hand........
Doesn't seem right does it?

Col4570
05-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Yes Jeff it was that Blair Mob that brought this state of affairs about.I visited NZ many years ago (Merchant Navy) Auckland, Wellington and New Plymouth.Lovely polite welcoming people.
Regards