PDA

View Full Version : A nice .32 cal BP load but dirty.

Ball Caster
05-07-2015, 11:05 AM
A bit of a follow up on a previous post. Though I am looking for a low pressure smokeless load, there is no reason not to enjoy a good BP load in my 1901 Forehand break top.
The recommended .32 cal. Long BP charge is 13 grains. However 13 grains of BP fills my .32 long case to the very top. It would mean crushing down ¼ inch to seat the bullet. But, 11 grains of BP works okay with about 1/16” of crush, so I loaded 11 grains of Pyrodex by volume. It shot nice but seems just as dirty as BP. The old break tops do not disassemble as easy as the cap and ball revolvers.
Below 20 grains I prefer to weigh measure my BP then cut a dipper from an old .32 case. I seem to provide less variation than my rifle measure.
As mentioned, the load shot nice but the Pyrodex seems just a dirty was as BP. So now the question is, what is the cleanest burning BP sub in the smaller calibers?

Nobade
05-08-2015, 07:46 AM
Real Swiss or Old Eynsford FFFg is going to be the best powder for that revolver. Be very careful with Pyrodex in revolvers. That fouling is quite corrosive, and you need to get it out of every nook and cranny. Clean it well and go back repeatedly and make sure it's not rusting anywhere. (been there, done that) With real BP, even if I don't get it perfectly clean I don't have any rusting problems as long as I keep any fouling wet with oil.

As for cleaner subs, you might try APP or Shockey's Gold. (same stuff) it lets you use bullets lubed with smokeless lube, has very soft fouling, and cleans up easy. It's pretty weak power wise, but will let you shoot with a minimum of hassles. Oh, I find the fouling from Pyrodex harder to deal with than real BP. It is harder, builds up more, and doesn't clean as easy. You are using bullets with proper BP compatable lube, right?

-Nobade

Dale53
05-08-2015, 08:25 AM
A few years ago, I was competing in BPCR Silhouette. Some of the ranges had side pistol matches (fixed sights, black powder or BP Substitute). I ended up competing with a Ruger Bisley Vaquero in .45 Colt. I won several of the matches and some of them were merchandise matches. I was awarded several pounds of Pyrodex Pistol.

I used real black powder (my favorite, by a bunch, was Swiss). 2f shot well and gave less recoil (and velocity) than 3f.

I decided to give Pyrodex Pistol a try since I had some. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. I could shoot 70 shots before fouling caused drag on the cylinder (about the same as Swiss) with my particular revolver. Pyrodex cleaned up easily with "Friendship Speed Juice" (One pint each of Hydrogen Peroxide, Murphy's Oil Soap, and Rubbing Alcohol). Keep the mixture in the dark Peroxide bottle and the balance in a dark cabinet as light can hurt the mixture.

I just cleaned the revolver immediately at the range after shooting with generously wet patches. It EATS Black Powder and Pyrodex fouling. Afterwards, a couple of dry patches, and a generous application of Ed's Red for preservation (Speed Juice chemically cleans the metal and you MUST apply a preservative afterwards to prevent rust). Two or three days later, just as a precaution, I would ALWAYS apply another coat of Ed's Red inside and out (just like the military taught me with corrosive ammo).

My Ruger Bisley Vaquero still looks like NEW. No problem whatsoever. As a favor to me, Bill Knight, the Consultant to the Black Powder industry, ran some tests on Friendship Speed Juice (he is a chemist by profession) and gave it flying colors.

Incidentally, I chrongraphed Pyrodex Pistol in my .45 Colt Ruger. A case full (compressed 1/16" by the bullet) gave over 900 fps with a Lyman 452664 (250 gr RF home cast bullet at 30/1 lead/tin). My lubricant was Emmert's home mix (SPG will work as well).

FWIW
Dale53

Ball Caster
05-08-2015, 10:47 AM
I would like to say I am using a good BP bullet lube but I am not. The bullets I have are the Hornaday .32 cal. dry lubed for smokeless. I have kept my shooting to 25 rounds or less per trip.
As expected, after cleaning the BP with soap and water, I have to re-clean the bore again with Hoppe’s #9 and a bore brush to remove the lead.
My greatest issue is taking the gun apart for cleaning. My Remington or Colt cap and ball replicas are simple compared to the break top.

Currently I am looking for a good .32 bullet with grease grooves in the 90 grain range. If necessary I will buy a mold. I will get a chance for some Swiss or Old Eynsford when I am down at the Muzzle Loading Nationals in June.

Nobade
05-08-2015, 08:54 PM
Lyman makes the perfect bullet for that, the #311252. I use a lot of those in the little 32s with black and they carry plenty of lube to work well.

Like Dale53 says, Pyro will work - but sure be careful with the cleaning so your little top break doesn't end up looking like mine.

-Nobade