PDA

View Full Version : Tru-line Jr

Finster101
05-07-2015, 08:42 AM
I recently got this along with a few other things in a bulk purchase. Looks to be set up for .38spl. I think it is missing the shell holder but would appreciate if anyone one could tell me if anything else is missing. Also, what might be it's value?

Thanks, James

Green Frog
05-07-2015, 01:51 PM
Welcome to the wild world of tiny presses! I can't tell from your pictures, but it appears that a shell holder is in place, if it is the correct (#1) one. While everything looks a little dirty (or even rusty) and neglected, it should clean up nicely. At the risk of sounding like a smart @$$, just about everything about it is virtually identical in structure and function to every other conventional turret press you'll ever find, just smaller. The one odd operational feature is the shell holder which is held in with a set screw in deference to its straight shank. The priming punch must be matched to primer size, there being a large primer punch and a small primer punch.

If you wish to expand your horizons, you can get dies for most other calibers... even by getting 310 tool dies in many cases and using them instead of looking for dedicated TL Jr dies. If you can't find the proper shell holder in the now-obsolete "J" type, you can get an adaptor to use modern RCBS shell holders, but you need a "Special-T" primer punch set to reprime cases. You do lose a little case length capacity when you do this, but it won't be much.

Price? That's why I like them... they are usually pretty low priced because a lot of folks either don't know about these presses or neglect them because they are "obsolete" or "too flimsy." I've sold a complete press with dies (like yours) for as little as $50 and would now expect about $75-100 for it on a good day. Best idea is keep it and use it! The one proviso or warning would be that you need to put enough (but not too much) case lube on the outside of the cases when FL sizing so as not to put too much of a strain on the press or yourself. :wink:

Regards,
Froggie

PS I forgot about the Lyman 55 powder measure... add $40-50 for that to my previous pricing quote! 8-)

Wayne Smith
05-07-2015, 02:25 PM
Froggie, I think he is right, no shell holder. If you have the correct dies for the 38/357 all you need is the shell holder to be in business. #1 J type shell holders are rather common on eBay.

Of course, if you don't have a 38/357 this is an excellent reason to get one!

Patrick56
05-07-2015, 02:42 PM
It seems that the priming device is also missing?

Yodogsandman
05-07-2015, 03:45 PM
This is an interesting thread where I just returned home with a used Truline JR 30 minutes ago. Mine is set up for 38/357 and has a "1" on the shellholder and the one primer arm. The powder measure on mine is missing the reservoir and cap. The turret head also has one hole that's been resized out to 7/8"x14.

Hey, how do you guys index the head?

James, sorry if I piggybacked on your thread.

Finster101
05-07-2015, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. There is definitely no shell holder, I'm not even sure what the priming setup would look like so apparently it is missing as well. I don't have a manual for it and the only you-tube video I could find I just couldn't sit thru. If I can readily get the missing parts and see how to use it I may keep it. If not, it will likely end up in the "Swappin and Sellin" forum. So any more advice you have would be quite welcome.

James

kopperl
05-07-2015, 08:02 PM
If ypu want to keep it 357 I can help. Email me some closeups and I will go thru my parts. Got three of those things I havent used since Lee came along.
If IRC that one large hole was a factory mod on later production.

Patrick56
05-08-2015, 09:08 AM
James, hope that this will help you.
http://www.castpics.net/subsite/Manuals/Lyman_Tru_Line_Jr_instructions_1952.pdf

Char-Gar
05-08-2015, 10:10 AM
It is missing the shell holder and the priming post. Assuming one die decaps and resizes, another expands the case and the last one seats the bullet you are good to go with some clean up and set up.

The Lyman 55 measure is all there and should work fine after clean up and lubrication with powdered graphite. The seating stem on the seating die may or may not match the nose contour of your bullets, but that is an easy fix if it does not.

On the whole, it is a clean set up and should serve you well. The presses are very good for handgun rounds.

If you want to sell the outfit, as pictured, I will offer $120.00 shipped to my front door. I am a 38 Special fan.

SSGOldfart
05-08-2015, 10:41 AM
looks like you already have to "new" linkage and handle for about 80-90 bucks on flea bay you can get a new turrent for 7/8 inch dies,I have 3 of these presses fun little jewels to work with

Char-Gar
05-08-2015, 11:29 AM
This is an interesting thread where I just returned home with a used Truline JR 30 minutes ago. Mine is set up for 38/357 and has a "1" on the shellholder and the one primer arm. The powder measure on mine is missing the reservoir and cap. The turret head also has one hole that's been resized out to 7/8"x14.

You index the head by turning it with your hand.

Patrick56
05-08-2015, 01:21 PM
Here is a picture of the priming ram138939

and here is the shell holder138941

and by the way, I did not find any markings on the shell holder but it is made for the .38 special.

44Vaquero
05-08-2015, 04:10 PM
They are a fine little press and great fun to play with. You will need to lube the brass for sizing as the just steel and the press does not have a great deal leverage. Any parts you need like shell holders and priming pins can be found on e-bay etc. Here is mine set up to load .32 H&R Mag:

Yodogsandman
05-08-2015, 08:02 PM
Thanks Char-Gar! It didn't turn, I'll have to go check it out. Nothing is missing so, it's probably just a case of someone tightening something too hard.

Update: Yes, someone just tightened it up to much on the top center nut. The head works and indexes freely now.

Green Frog
05-08-2015, 08:29 PM

I guess I might think about having one "oversized" die station so I could use the TC dies unavailable in the TL Jr/310 sized dies. You would still have to be aware of the limits of this little press and not overstress it with heavy duty sizing. Otherwise, the smaller dies would be perfectly satisfactory for the duties they perform. As for "indexing" the head... you just turn it to the next station... I "batch load" by performing one step on all of the rounds I'm working on, then turn the head for the next step, and so on. Some folks turn the head for each step on one complete round, but that seems cumbersome to me.

Froggie

44Vaquero
05-09-2015, 04:00 AM
I am with you Froggie, I batch load when using this style of turret too! About the only time I turn the turret for a single complete round is when I am showing people how it works. Otherwise is batches of 50!

Finster101
05-10-2015, 08:48 AM
Gentlemen, thank you once again for the information. I just don't see myself using this press enough to justify keeping it and so I have taken Char-Gar up on his offer to purchase it. There were a couple of other items I'm pretty clueless on as well but I will start a new thread on those as time allows.

James

Green Frog
05-11-2015, 03:18 PM
Gentlemen, thank you once again for the information. I just don't see myself using this press enough to justify keeping it and so I have taken Char-Gar up on his offer to purchase it. There were a couple of other items I'm pretty clueless on as well but I will start a new thread on those as time allows.

James

Good on ya! Char-Gar will give it a great home and does indeed know how to use it. ;) Welcome to post other pix of oddball stuff here. We like oddball stuff! :mrgreen:

Froggie

Char-Gar
05-14-2015, 02:16 PM
The press, dies and powder measure arrived today well packed. The clean up is over and now to find a place to mount it. I caught in in the vise for a picture. It won't live there.

44Vaquero
05-14-2015, 04:31 PM
Yet another Tru-line Jr., finds a good home! Mine is still my favorite method of relaxation.