PDA

View Full Version : Custom expander plug

HiWall1953
05-06-2015, 12:10 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a custom .459 expander plug made? Thanks

country gent
05-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Buffalo Arms Company has them in stock for several diffrent makers dies. Both straight and tapered.

Yodogsandman
05-06-2015, 02:44 PM
Contact Buckshot here on the site, he made me one and it was perfect in every way.

HiWall1953
05-06-2015, 04:17 PM
Do you have his contact info?

HiWall1953
05-06-2015, 04:18 PM
I've seen these and they start at .455 then the next step is .459. I want one that starts out .459. Thanks

John Boy
05-06-2015, 04:44 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a custom .459 expander plug made?
Track of the Wolf, they are stock plugs... http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1221/1/DIE-459-EXP

Litl Red 3991
05-07-2015, 10:07 AM
Anybody know of a source for powder-thru-expanders for Lee and Dillon powder measures?

An awful lot of pistol reloaders do it on turret presses.

Litl Red 3991
05-07-2015, 10:27 AM
BTW, if you're going to a use a larger expander, it's a good idea to consider how much your sizing die reduces the cases you're now going to be stretching some extra.

The first cartridge I made a slightly larger expander for wound up splitting cases every so often when that expander was used. But when I measured ODs of the brass each step of the reloading process, it was easy to see what was happening. First off, the brass was getting more work hardening than before. Then too, the sizing die was almost undersized for jacketed bullets, so expanding was really stressing that brass. Turned out I had a couple of different brands of dies for that caliber. The sizer from the other set matched better.

Recently the same deal popped up when I started shooting an indoor league with a cartridge that I hadn't used in decades. It had been used with jacketed only before. When it got lead target loads, the cases were actually re-sizing down the cast boolits. So I modified a powder thru expander for the wad cutters so the re-sizing would stop. And started getting split cases. Head-slap without having to even check. The die mfgs don't usually advertise their specs. But nowadays RCBS is marketing a line of dies they call Cowboy dies. For cowboy matches. That require cast bullets. So there was a ready made sizing die available and it came with a matching expander die. Of course, that expander won't fit in an automatic powder measure, but nowadays beggars can't be choosers......

texassako
05-07-2015, 12:13 PM
Anybody know of a source for powder-thru-expanders for Lee and Dillon powder measures?

An awful lot of pistol reloaders do it on turret presses.

NOE also makes powder through expanders for the Lee powder through expander dies: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=91&osCsid=klt4otn31tlhfdjdkmoqhlrlm1 I use the Lyman powder through multi expand die set with any measure using 7/8-14 threads.