PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Everyone Want Me To Watch Them On You Tube???

Yodogsandman
05-06-2015, 11:46 AM
I hate watching You Tube videos! The description always seems interesting. They're mostly boring and have very little worth while content. It takes 5 minutes to watch them and I always feel like I wasted that 5 minutes. So why does everyone want me to watch their videos all of a sudden? Are the OP's too busy to type whatever idea they want to get across? What's the deal here?

How about a sub-forum just for You Tube videos? That way I could just ignore them.

Thanks for reading, my ranting's over. Would you like to see a You Tube video of it?

DR Owl Creek
05-06-2015, 11:59 AM
I would never make you watch something on You Tube. Life is too short to even waste five minutes of it that you can never get back.

Dave

rockrat
05-06-2015, 12:27 PM
I look at very few you tube videos. Mainly music or watching some automated Dillon 1050 working or some other gun or RC model video. Peoples videos of themselves??? Not hardly.

dilly
05-06-2015, 12:35 PM
Youtube has its place. Describing mechanical actions or phenomena can be much harder than simply viewing a short video of the machine/process/problem.

The good news is that no one can make you do it.

Artful
05-06-2015, 01:03 PM
They want you to watch on you tube because if your there in person they have to share the beer - duh

bangerjim
05-06-2015, 01:16 PM
Most of those people who are all over utube just like to hear themselves talk. "Oh.....look! I'm on TV! Watch me make a total fool of my video production skills" Big Deal.

Any moron with an iPhone can make a video. And you wonder why they do NOT have a buddy hold the phone rather than trying to do everything one-handed?!?!?!? Guess they have no buddies!!!!!

There are some VERY valuable videos there on how things work and how to fix things, but most are just bragging and BS. I rarely ever watch anything there anymore.

If posted by a reputable company, I will watch. Some bozo in his garage talking about how to cast or reviewing a gun "he just took out of the box"(?)...........not.

"Hello, YouTubers".........a phrase that makes my skin crawl.

My 2¢ worth.

Love Life
05-06-2015, 01:17 PM
Members are physically holding you hostage...at gunpoint, and forcing you to watch youtube videos? Is that what you are saying?

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-06-2015, 01:20 PM
I like a 'well done' youtube vid.
but sadly, that is a rare thing.

gwpercle
05-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Most of the U-Tubers are idiots. I watched a guy reload a 38 S&W with a near case full of Bullseye, then blow up a S&W top break, while bleeding he blamed the gun! Said it was a cheap piece of c**p. Yeah...right dude. No I don't watch them either.
I did see a reloading video by Lee precision on using their little hand loader, the whack a mole one, It was amazing at how quickly the guy could turn out a loaded round....I mean he had some great hand coordination and had practiced doing it till he was quick at it. But most are just insane stuff...

dilly
05-06-2015, 01:25 PM
I thought this was about people who make a post here on the board and have a video illustrating something, not YouTube as a whole. Am I mistaken?

Pb2au
05-06-2015, 01:54 PM
Are you upset that the videos don't give you the answers you are looking for?
Or are you upset that the videos that people make and post here, in an effort to help, are of poor quality?

Yodogsandman
05-06-2015, 02:01 PM
Yes, specifically this site. I've only watched two that were worth it but, I normally just skip all of them now.

waksupi
05-06-2015, 02:03 PM
Some people are visual learners. I know I am. I can read it, I can be told a process, and I will probably struggle with the project. If I see something done, I can do it correctly almost immediately.

MrWolf
05-06-2015, 02:07 PM
Like anything else in life. Take it with a grain of salt and if you can take something from it great, if not you will know in the first few minutes. I always verify any reloading info but I may look at different techniques, etc..

dtknowles
05-06-2015, 02:17 PM
I almost always skip over youtube videos when people link them here. Fortunately it is easy to tell which to skip because of youtube in the url. The worst kind of videos are the talking head videos, someone reading from a script. I much prefer to read my news. video's are good for some how to's or action reporting.

Tim

Kent Fowler
05-06-2015, 02:55 PM
Some people are visual learners. I know I am. I can read it, I can be told a process, and I will probably struggle with the project. If I see something done, I can do it correctly almost immediately.

Same here with me. Gotta to visually see it done, written instructions don't mean anything. My wife, the school teacher, called it kinetic learning. On the subject of youtube, there is a lot of pretty good stuff out there, but the ones that get me are the " unboxing " videos. Some yo-yo will get a package of whatever he ordered, set his camera up and video the opening of his package and thinks the world is excited over what he got in the mail. Some people just don't have a lot to do.

Cap'n Morgan
05-06-2015, 02:57 PM
The worst kind of videos are the talking head videos, someone reading from a script. I much prefer to read my news. video's are good for some how to's or action reporting.

Ain't that the truth!

I can read a text twice as fast as the time it takes some airhead to mumble his way through it.

kencha
05-06-2015, 03:06 PM
I don't understand all of the youtube hate. My biggest gripe with youtube is that it is owned by google.

Other than that, there are a large number of educational and informative videos, large numbers of funny and entertaining videos, and astronomical numbers of absolute swill.

Take the good, leave the bad. It is not hard to do.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, at 60fps, a one minute video can be worth what? 3,600,000 words?

sparky45
05-06-2015, 03:12 PM
So, I wonder how much time the OP wasted reading these responses? Kinda evens out, don't ya think.

perotter
05-06-2015, 05:04 PM
I don't watch many of them, but IMO it is easy and quick to decide if it is worth my time to watch one. If the topic isn't appear to be useful or starts out 'beating around the bush', I don't watch it.

DR Owl Creek
05-07-2015, 12:54 PM
My favorite You Tube videos are the ones of the Obamaphone Lady...

Dave

garym1a2
05-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Here is a great video of my cat and dog fighting!

https://youtu.be/FKsXVctYy40

Russel Nash
05-07-2015, 09:03 PM
Hey, YouTubers, wanna watch me shoot?

It is only 39 seconds long:

https://youtu.be/-WpLA0J8mO0

Here is another video. It is 2 minutes and 10 seconds long:

https://youtu.be/7cR87JwYVxE

garym1a2
05-08-2015, 08:25 AM
Only 12 new views yesterday, :.(

Here is a great video of my cat and dog fighting!

https://youtu.be/FKsXVctYy40

dragon813gt
05-08-2015, 09:06 AM
Members are physically holding you hostage...at gunpoint, and forcing you to watch youtube videos? Is that what you are saying?

That's what I'm thinking.

YouTube is like any other part of the internet. You have to separate the good from the bad. There are a lot of bad "instructional" reloading/casting videos. But there are also great ones. Ones by "SanFrancisco Liberal w/ a Gun" are great if you have a Lee turret press. It's hard for newbies to separate the good from the bad. And that's the scary part.

garym1a2
05-08-2015, 01:16 PM
Cowboy T "SanFrancisco Liberal w/ a Gun" is a Lee Pro1000 guy.
Their are lots of good videos and Gun reviews on youtube. To the point that its no longer needed to buy gun mags as some of the better sites get new T&E guns every week.
They are also great for how to videos. I learned how to change the plugs on a 2002 trailblazer due to a5 minute video. CMMG has a great video on how to put together an AR15 lower.

That's what I'm thinking.

YouTube is like any other part of the internet. You have to separate the good from the bad. There are a lot of bad "instructional" reloading/casting videos. But there are also great ones. Ones by "SanFrancisco Liberal w/ a Gun" are great if you have a Lee turret press. It's hard for newbies to separate the good from the bad. And that's the scary part.

Smoke4320
05-08-2015, 01:25 PM
And to think I was going to make a Utube video of me reading this Post :)

ohland
05-08-2015, 02:33 PM
So why does everyone want me to watch their videos all of a sudden?

Exhibitionist? Wear green lipstick, sit in a tub filled with milk and fruit Loops?

white eagle
05-08-2015, 05:49 PM
some of the stuff on you tube is pretty worthless
I have however looked up thing that I needed
for instance my lawn mower was having issues so I had to fix it
went to you tube and low and behold someone had the same problem as me and did a vid on the fix
that helped me out

andremajic
05-08-2015, 09:44 PM
I usually pause the video after watching for about a minute and start reading the comments below. They usually fill in for the information that was left out of the video, or will warn you that the video was useless, all without having to spend 15 minutes to find that out.

Keep clicking the related videos and reading the comments and then eventually you'll find someone who has good presentation skills and gets to the point. Then I save that video under my favorites bar. I don't subscribe to channels, but my favorites is organized pretty well.

Andy

MT Gianni
05-08-2015, 10:17 PM
How else would I watch Robert Mitchum sing Thunder Road?

CGT80
05-09-2015, 01:05 AM
Youtube videos are great, but I do skip a lot of the videos linked on forums.

Youtube taught me to tie my tie, 10 minutes before I had to head out the door for a funeral.

Watching someone open a package is fun, when the box was tig welded together and the receiver has to decide how to cut or machine the box open without damaging the expensive tool inside, that his friend shipped him. I also watched the video that his friend made and released of him putting the package together. They are both machinists and like to do little jokes and pranks. The cooler that was supposed to have fresh pastries shipped from his buddy ended up being a rigged can of silly string.

Have you ever seen the show Roadkill? It is only on youtube and has no commercials and the production crew is 3 or 4 guys at most. I think the magazine is Hot Rod, and the chief editor and another coworker do road trips while working on cars or trucks. It is what I would call a real, reality show. It wouldn't work without the great personalities of the two hosts, but youtube allows them to reach a big audience and make money from the show while providing it for free to viewers and without commercials.

All of the funny clips are on youtube. My dad watches shows like Ridiculousness and America's funniest videos, but I have seen most of them before on the internet/youtube and don't have to watch a dumb show or host present them.

There is plenty of junk on youtube as well, and I dislike a number of things about google including the new satellite maps version. I also like google maps and Android (to and extent) and youtube. They all have their good and bad points.

quickdraw66
05-09-2015, 09:51 AM
There's a lot of junk on youtube, but there's also a lot of amazing channels. Don't knock the whole thing because of the bad ones.

bob208
05-09-2015, 05:57 PM
I have found that if it is boring or stupid there is a back button.

Yodogsandman
04-03-2016, 07:02 PM
got suckered into watching some more...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEr5Wto8yuXQeOtLz7Y9hih0Wmxwo3dM2

farmerjim
04-03-2016, 07:16 PM
got suckered into watching some more...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEr5Wto8yuXQeOtLz7Y9hih0Wmxwo3dM2

Didn't get me. Without a description, I won't watch.

dtknowles
04-03-2016, 09:18 PM
Didn't get me. Without a description, I won't watch.

I skip over almost all the video's posted.

Tim

David2011
04-04-2016, 01:13 AM
I told SWMBO to quit sending me links to YouTube vids. She's welcome to send text but IMO a link to a video is a demand from someone for me to spend X amount of my free time indulging the to watch something in which I may have no interest. I by far prefer to read over watching videos. I, too can read far faster than I can watch the frequently mindless videos.

There are some good ones but there's plenty of garbage as well.

David

Col4570
04-04-2016, 03:50 AM
Some good stuff on You tube some boring.If the Vid is like watching Paint Dry and you are losing the will to live then switch it off.life is too short to watch someone knitting a Sweater.I have picked up some good tips from U tube and some wonderful music clips.If the article is longwinded you can bet your boots there is a less boring version.