PDA

View Full Version : Sodium tetraborate (Borax)

shamgar
05-05-2015, 10:15 PM
I was told using borax in your casting pot would prevent oxidation and reduce the need to re-flux. Any truth to this?

sqlbullet
05-05-2015, 11:36 PM
Marvelux is a similar borate based flux and both work well at removing contaminants from the pot without smoke. However, they have no reductive properties and will therefore also remove any tin oxides rather than reduce them back into the melt.

Three44s
05-06-2015, 09:33 AM
It's a good thing Marvelux does not produce smoke because when I used to use it ......... there was enough smoke coming out of my ears to way more than compensate for it not smoking.

Reason: Cruds up your bottom pour ........ seriously!

Give me boolit lube, give me sawdust ....... you can have my Marvelux thank you!

There may be a percentage in using a borate product to form a layer on top of the lead melt to reduce air exposure but even there, the borate sticks to the sides of the lead pot something fierce and is hard to clean. But I got tired of having to sandblast my lead equipment to get the confounded stuff off.

Three 44s

Old Scribe
05-06-2015, 10:44 AM
I use a little Marvelux when casting very dirty ww with out a problem.

shamgar
05-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Thanks

mold maker
05-06-2015, 01:07 PM
Bought 3 lbs about 1969. Used the Marvelux 2 times and am still angry at the mess it made. Both times it made a glass lined pot and tools covered with the same crud.
I'm sure it was better than something it was to replace, but as long as there is anything else available, I'll still have 2.9 lbs left.
BTW it drew moisture and is now a solid lump.
As far as I'm concerned, it would ruin a burn barrel.

bangerjim
05-06-2015, 01:20 PM
What's wrong with sawdust? It's free! I personally use only beeswax in my casting pots to reduce the Sn back in. No chunks of burnt wood to get down in the pour spigot.

Borax is for the laundry. And to keep all those 20 mule teams busy hauling it!