PDA

View Full Version : 357 Magnum sizing problem

roysha
05-05-2015, 08:03 PM
I tried loading some 357 MAGs with Sierra 158 gr. JHP today and I can't get the cases sized enough to hold the bullets. Normally I load cast but these were for my Grandaughter and they were full house MAG loads so decided to use the jacketed bullet since I don't have a GC 357 mold.

Anyway, I have 4 sets of 38/357 dies, 3 carbide and 1 steel. None of them size the case enough. I thought it might be the nickel cases so I tried brass. Same thing. I went back in my records and realized in the last 40+ years these are the 1st jacketed 357 MAG I have tried to load. Everything else has been cast which I size to .359 and have never had a problem.

So, I would like some suggestions as to what I need to do to get this situation resolved. I suspect I will be loading more for her as time goes by so need a fix.

Guesser
05-05-2015, 08:11 PM
It may be your expander that is reopenng the case. Try just flaring a case, maybe use a pair of needle nose pliers to flare it just enough for a test.

aspangler
05-05-2015, 08:58 PM
The Lee factory crimp die might help you. I use mine a LOT and have never had a problem with the bullet not staying where I put it in the case. It also seems to help with the accuracy in my old Dan Wesson model 14. 357.

roysha
05-05-2015, 10:37 PM
It may be your expander that is reopenng the case. Try just flaring a case, maybe use a pair of needle nose pliers to flare it just enough for a test.

I thought of that and removed the expander all together. Bullets still loose. By loose I mean I can push the bullet further into the case with finger pressure. Because they were so far into the case I could not use the collet puller and the impact puller is a pain so I just hand turned a sheetrock screw in the HP and pulled them that way.

They are so loose that I am not comfortable even using the LEE factory crimp die. For myself, I'd live with it but for the Grandaughter I want it as close to 100% as I can get.

timspawn
05-05-2015, 10:59 PM
It's a long shot but have you miked the bullets? Is it possible they are undersized?

Tim357
05-05-2015, 11:24 PM
It's a long shot but have you miked the bullets? Is it possible they are undersized?
This.

bangerjim
05-06-2015, 12:10 AM
Bet you have UNDERSIZED! As said above.

I have seen that on occasions with FMJ's. My LEE FCD solved the problem without using any belling in the case by the thru-powder die. That's where BT's come in handy!

banger

ejcrist
05-06-2015, 12:43 AM
If more than one die set resulted in the same condition I'm sure your jacketed bullets are undersize. I'd try another j-bullet that you know is larger. I haven't shot jacketed in so long I don't remember if anyone makes a .359" which would be ideal.

Tatume
05-06-2015, 07:16 AM
No amount of crimp will compensate for insufficient sizing.

I am astonished that Lee dies are now $32, but you may want to bite the bullet (pun intended) and buy a set.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/418312/lee-carbide-3-die-set-38-special-357-magnum?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I've always had perfect results with Lee dies.

opos
05-06-2015, 07:27 AM
I recently had a similar situation with 38 special...did a bit of research and found that all of the brass I was having difficulty with was R/P brass....I miked the thickness of the R/P Brass and it was .002 to .003 thinner than other brass I'd been loading with no problems....sent some of the brass, a few of the projectiles and the dies to Lee for evaluation...The situation was that the brass being on the "thin side" of the acceptable spec...and the dies being at the larger size of the spec were stacking tolerances and putting the projectile in a place where it was loose in the brass. They replaced the dies with dies that they "double checked" to fall in the middle of the spec and all is just fine now. I've heard from them and from others that R/P brass is on the thin side so sometimes the tolerances will stack up and the finished ammo is just not spot on. My experience only.

roysha
05-06-2015, 12:53 PM
The cases I used for testing purposes are brass R-P and both brass and nickel W-W. All once fired. I was trying to load the W-W nickel for my Grandaughter. I checked the bullet diameter with my best mic, a B&S carbide faced 0-1", and the Sierra 158 JHP mic spot on .357. I checked and it seems all the companies make only .357 for handgun.(jacketed)

I suspect that as someone suggested, I will have to send some cases and projectiles to one of the companies and see if they can make it work.

What really intrigues me is that 3 die sets, Lyman, CH, Hornady and a size die from the 50s, called Lifetyme, all "carbide" and an older RCBS steel die set do the same thing.

Oh well.

fishhawk
05-06-2015, 01:04 PM
Had a similar problem with a Dillon SDB and Fed brass in 9MM Dillon went and took a pin gauge to there 9MM size dies and sent the smallest they had and problem resolved.

Beerd
05-06-2015, 02:08 PM
maybe a compressed powder charge and a good roll crimp will do the trick?

DougGuy
05-06-2015, 02:11 PM
Nope. Crimp alone is not enough. I would simply buy a set of Lee dies.

You get enough powder in a .357 to compress it, WHOA Nellie LOL you gonna blow something up!

roysha
05-06-2015, 02:34 PM
Thank all of you for your suggestions.

The problem is solved. I was talking to an acquaintance about this and he suggested trying his dies just to see if it was dies. Since he is an avid 38/357 shooter and he had never had this situation with any cases, either brass or nickel or brand I figured, what the heck, why not. Right away on the 1st case I could tell a big difference in the amount of pressure required to size the cases. Ran 5 of each and only flared the mouth. Bullets seated with plenty of tension in all the cases. Very comfortable with loading for the Grandaughter now. Since she is the only reason for jacketed bullets I'll probably just use his die whenever I need to load for her, since for me with cast bullets, there is no issue.