PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a local caster

Harry
03-15-2008, 08:16 PM
I'm just getting started in reloading and would also like to do some casting in the future. Looking for a mentor in the Greenville, SC area.

Sprue
03-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Hi Harry,

Too bad you're not in my area. There are 3 of us fanatics here.

Try this if not already. See if you can find a local rifle club(s) or range in the area, or visit your local gun stores/pawn shops and ask questions.

The thing is just to locate someone who reloads & casts. You will find a new friend. if not local...... right here.

Good Luck!

Buckshot
03-16-2008, 12:16 AM
...........There are a few of them S, Caliney boys around here :-) Don't know how close to you though, but Greenvull strikes a chord.

...............Buckshot

VTDW
03-16-2008, 08:37 AM
You are a very wise man Harry.:drinks: Keep bumping this to the top every couple of days and you will get a mentor.

Dave

Blammer
03-16-2008, 11:38 AM
I'm in Asheville NC.

JIMinPHX
03-20-2008, 02:06 PM
I have a customer down in Greenville that’s starting to have some problems with one of their machines. If I end up having to go down there to do something about it, I’ll give you a shout.

Harry
06-23-2008, 07:29 PM
still looking for a Greenville, SC area caster.

targetshootr
06-23-2008, 07:35 PM
When I started I also looked around for someone local but no luck so I took a deep breath and went for it. Turns out there's not much to it if you keep checking Goatlips tutorial below. And of course the info on this site made it easier too.

http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/smelting.html

:castmine:

Harry
06-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks Targetshooter. Yes, I have goatlips site in my "favorites". I have been there several times. I have gathered everything to start except the ladle/ladles. I was going to go for the Rowells, but may just go get me a soup ladle and try it.

Newtire
06-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks Targetshooter. Yes, I have goatlips site in my "favorites". I have been there several times. I have gathered everything to start except the ladle/ladles. I was going to go for the Rowells, but may just go get me a soup ladle and try it.

Hi Harry,

Nothing much special really required to get started if you have moulds and lead already. Find a gasoline powered Coleman at a yard sale and an old iron skillet (I have used heavy aluminum but that's a no-no really). A soup spoon from the thrift store or the Dollar store and you are good to go.

happy7
06-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Harry,

I would try again, but put Greenville in the title. I think that would be more likely to catch someone's attention if they are from greenville. A lot of us don't have time to read every post.

jhalcott
06-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Funny how things work. A guy in my gun club just asked if "we" could hold a class on casting the way we do for reloading. Seems the shooting $$ is getting shorter than gas money.

IcerUSA
06-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Also put the state in there also , I'm in Greenville but in Michigan .

Keith

45-70marlin
06-24-2008, 08:46 PM
hey harry,
I live about 50 miles from you down 85 near the ga. border. would be happy to help you. I have been casting since 1976. send me a pm. Roy.