PDA

View Full Version : 1891/96 Mauser Buehler Low Scope Safeties

leadman
05-05-2015, 01:15 PM
I have a couple of 1891 Arg. Mausers that I want to mount scopes on the receivers but could not find the Buehler style safety for them.
As I could not sleep last night I got out my 1891 sporter with the Buehler safety and an as issued Swede 96. The safety from the 1891 fits in the bolt shroud of the 96 with no problems and functions fine.
I went on line and found some Buehler Swede 96 safeties. I determined these are the same as what I have in my 1891 so e-mailed the seller.
Turns out he has all of the gun parts from when Kimber went out of business. This includes most of the parts except receivers and barrels for the Swede which he has already sold.
He has about 1,500 of the Buehler safeties!!! I ordered 3 and will confirm they fit so I would hold off buying any until that time.
The vendor's screen name is gunparts2112 on Gunbroker.

leadman
05-10-2015, 01:42 AM
I received the safeties today and did an initial fitting. They will take a little bit more fitting than what I had to do to some Buehlers I purchased years ago but should work just fine. I did notice there is no hole in the side of the shaft for a spring to keep a little tension on it. It would not be too difficult to drill one though.

These fit without modification on my 96 Swedish Mauser. To fit on my 1891 Mausers the wing or the bolt shroud will have to be modified so it sits on the bolt shroud properly. The wing has a projection that goes over the hump that retains the original safety but the aftermarket wing is too narrow. A little work with a Dremel should take care of it.

These are not marked Buehler so were probably made especially for Kimber when they converted the 96 Mausers.

Right now these are probably the best safety available for the 91/96 Mausers and worth the $30 a piece. The seller is "gunparts2112" on Gunbroker. His phone number is 304-257-1700, Tom.

Moderator, any chance of making this a sticky so the info on these safeties is not lost?