PDA

View Full Version : Just did a Steve's Gunz action job on my Rossi.

Fergie
05-04-2015, 07:20 PM
If you own a Rossi, this is a must.

I replaced the mag follower, trimmed mag spring, replaced the ejector spring, and whittled down some other parts per his DVD.

The rifle is smoooooothhhh now. I didn't grind the trigger spring down as much as the DVD calls for, but am happy with the results.

So again, if you have a Rossi, definitely look in to this DVD as a great reference piece and guide.

Snow ninja
05-04-2015, 07:23 PM
Rossi is next on my buying list... Glad you like yours.

bluelund79
05-04-2015, 08:18 PM
I've been going back and forth about doing that to my Rossi M92 44mag carbine. Its fun to shoot with lead and trailboss, not so much with factory fodder. Have you left the sights stock? I upgraded to ghost ring peep sights, made the sight picture a little better for me while hunting.

Fergie
05-04-2015, 08:44 PM
I've been going back and forth about doing that to my Rossi M92 44mag carbine. Its fun to shoot with lead and trailboss, not so much with factory fodder. Have you left the sights stock? I upgraded to ghost ring peep sights, made the sight picture a little better for me while hunting.

I've not done a thing with the sights, but do want to put something different on there...maybe a Lyman #2 like I have on the 45 Colt version of this.

When you say "not fun" about the .44, what all do you mean? I ask because I was out with my Winchester Trapper in .44 mag, and after a box of reloads, BOTH my shoulders were sore! That thing needs something on the stock.

Fergie
05-08-2015, 07:42 PM
Well, after having the Rossi apart, I decided to take apart my Trapper in .44 magnum.

The Winchester design is much easier to take apart, and the entire process took far less time.

I trimmed the magazine tube spring, and the took some metal off of the loading gate spring. It feeds much smoother now and gave me a good idea of the inner workings of the rifle.

bluelund79
05-08-2015, 09:33 PM
When I said not fun, it was not in jest. That rifle is uncomfortable to shoot more than 20 rounds of factory loads. I'm considering having a 'smith fit a recoil pad after having the stock cut flat. However, I don't use the rifle enough to justify the cost on such an inexpensive rifle. But I also like it too much to trade it or sell it. However, I did find it more comfortable to shoot sitting straight up when at the bench instead of leaning over it. I think I'll follow your lead with the action job sometime this year. Thanks for the follow up with the Winchester

KCcactus
05-09-2015, 07:57 PM
I did the Stevesgunz tune-up on both my Rossi 92s (357 and 44 mag). It was well worth the time and cost. The triggers were like I wanted out of the box, so I didn't touch the trigger or hammer springs. My eyes don't do well with buckhorns, so I added Steve's bolt mounted peep sight to both. It works much better for me.

If you would be hiring someone to modify the stock on your 44, it might be worth looking into a new stock instead. Boyds has a Rossi 92 hunter stock for $65. I mostly use mid-range loads in the 44, so the curved stock hasn't been a problem. If I was going to use mostly factory ammo, I would change out the stock.

MT Gianni
05-11-2015, 10:14 AM
There is a lace up pad that is a necessity for a Rossi in 44 or 454.

northmn
05-11-2015, 12:25 PM
As one who has done a bit of that work, I would recommend getting a slip on recoil pad and do not modify the stock. My Rossi is in 357 so I do not have a recoil issue but do have length issue as it is a bit short, which also adds to recoil. You can also fill in the slight crescent in the butt plate with additional padding cut from Dr. Schols shoe pads before slipping on the recoil pad. Otherwise installing a recoil pad can be done but the tang would have to be filled in and probably a thick one installed to eliminate the crescent.

DP