PDA

View Full Version : Lee Turret/Auto indexing/Rifles

DrJay1st
03-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Can one set up the Lee Turret press to process rifle ammo as in their video in which they are making pistol rounds? They are using the 4 hole w/powder measure and primer setup onboard...just handling the cases and boolits.

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html

Is it a poor idea? It would be very nice to just pop a turret in place and rock and roll.
I'm not sure that one can put together a die/powder measure combination that allows this. It may be better to use the turret and do the powder charging and perhaps the priming off the press and forget the auto-indexing as well. The powder measures may not have enough capacity or accuracy operating on board for rifle applications.
What are you guys thoughts?
Are any of you using the Lee Turret auto-indexing setup with the powder measure and primer attachment on-board for rifles? If so, would you please tell me the die/powder measure setups you use (meaning equipment)?
To start this casting thing, I had in mind .243, 7X57, and Winchester 32 special (not much choice on the 32...midway only list one set of dies)...later my hornet and perhaps a 30 caliber. Sure would be nice to turn out plinkers in volume.

Thanks guys...I haven't cast the first bullet yet...all this reading you guys assigned me has made me rethink everything....a thousand times...so if I've become a bother, it's all your fault :)

Jerry

compass will
03-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks for posting that link! I have that press (lee turret press) and didn't know I could adjust it that way.

Anyway, Pistols it works great. 45-70 don't work. With 405 gn lead boolets, the last stage you seat the boolet and crimp it, as you lift the handle the turret starts to turn before the cartradge is out of the die, and the bullet hits on the side of the die. I think 32 Winchester Special is the same way.

No problem, I just lift the 4 hole top out, remove that square rod, then put the top back on. this disables the auto index. I will decap/size and prime, turn the press one notch by hand, expand the neck, then put the case back into the holder block. After I have sized all my cases I wipe off the sizing wax. Next step I charge the cases, turn the press by hand, then seat the bullet.

If you buy a 4 hole top for each set of dies, you always have your dies already set when you want to use them. Keep in mind that there is an extender you need to buy so either powder measure will work on the turret press. Lee should include them but they don't.

the Auto Disk Powder Measure does not throw enough powder for most rifle cases. You can buy a double disk kit but for around the same price I just bought the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. some people complain about the perfect powder measure since it can leak a little bit of powder if your using fine stuff. It don't bother me since I make a bigger mess when I forget which way is up on the lever and accidentally throw a load of powder onto the desk :(.

IcerUSA
03-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Here are some pics of the way I use my turret :

Full length sizing and universal deprimer.

Small and Large priming

This is my neck expander die

Push thru sizers

Pistol set up with micro disk

Rifle set up with Perfect Powder hopper

When useing the auto indexer I've had little to no problems with most of my loads as I check the first 10 powder throws to get it to what I want on the scale and then 1 every 5 loads gets checked. Haven't tried the 45-70 or the 444 Marlin yet with the indexer yet but have not had a problem with the 7mm Mag as far a length goes.
All of my rifle set ups also have neck sizers in them as I FL size new and range brass in the FL sizer dies seperatly.
Have to watch for powder bridging in the Perfect Powder Measure tho , I usually just give the handle a giggle when the case is all the way in the powder thru die and one reason I check every 5th load on the scale .
Just a little info but you do have to move the handle 4 times for 1 loaded round so long loading sesions do wear on your arm . :) Maybe why in part I have tennis elbow . LOL

Keith

DrJay1st
03-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Very interesting. A picture is worth a thousand words. I would never have thought of using a turret for just case sizing or just priming or just boolit sizing.
I'm beginning to think that I can't load Win 32 specials on a Lee turret using the auto index. I don't think they make all the necessary dies for that caliber. To use the "universal" one-size-fits-all expander, charging dies and then have a factory crimp die takes 5 stations.
1 sizer/deprime (would prefer to neck size if the winchester 94 will allow it)
2 flare (universal type die) (sure would be nice to flare and charge at one time)
3 charge (universal type die)
4 seat (seating stem for the 170 rcbs cast boolit?)
5 crimp (a factory crimp die would have to be custom built)
Lee only offers a 2 die set in 32 Win special so one could:
1 use the standard full length sizer/depriming die (don't get to neck size)
2 use the universal type flaring die
3 use the universal type charging die
4 use the standard seating/crimp die (don't get to use a factory crimp die)
Ideally one could have a custom set of dies made with a neck sizing die, a combination powder thru expander die, seating die w/custom seating stem, and finally a factory crimp die (I don't have a lot of crimping experience and the factory crimp die doesn't seem to require much finesse).
Assuming that neck sizing (collet) and factory crimp is better than standard. That may not be true and anyone is welcome to wade in and disagree (educate me). I have no cast experience so some of my assumptions may be wrong (but I am gathering a huge amount of gear toward the effort).
The things you guys have exposed me to have caused me to rethink everything about my loading and equipment. From simply casting to thinking about the best, most efficient way to produce rounds today. There are some benefits to this turret press thing...setup takes times...better organization/storage/less clutter...more efficient. Interesting how I can rationalized/ justify this ain't it!

Your thoughts?
Jerry

sundog
03-16-2008, 01:35 PM
I wonder what it would take to refit a Lee 30-30 collet neck sizer with a mandrel and collet for 32 Win Spl???? Hmmmm, switch out from an 8mm maybe?

Scrounger
03-16-2008, 01:49 PM
I wonder what it would take to refit a Lee 30-30 collet neck sizer with a mandrel and collet for 32 Win Spl???? Hmmmm, switch out from an 8mm maybe?

Or just order it from Lee.

jameslovesjammie
03-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Is the primer seating depth adjustable? I shoot a lot of Federal primers in revolver and they need to be seated at a different depth than CCI or Winchester.

sundog
03-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Lee does not list this item, but I suppose they might custom make it for a price, eh?

I just swapped some 30-30 and 8x57 Lee collet die guts and put a spacer on top of the 8mm top piece and used the 30-30 bottom piece. It works, but the 8mm mandrel is large for the 32 Spl. I checked the finished brass with an 8mm jacketed bullet and it would be a good fit - would need a press to seat it, it was slip fit in the fired case. So, a .320ish, mandrel and a 30-30 collet neck sizer, but the hole in the top piece would need to be reamed out for new mandrel size. Then no spacer is needed. Ought to be easy enough. Turn down a 8mm mandrel two or three thou and open a hole in a 30-30 collet top piece to fit. Voila, 32 Win Spl collet neck sizer. AND, you can custom fit this to your chamber!

I guess another alternative would be to get an extra 8mm mandrel and sinmply size it down and used existing pieces. The would cost a lot less.

compass will
03-16-2008, 04:02 PM
I bought the RCBS cowboy dies for the 32 Special. I have not had a problem with the crimp that came with it. I have read the RCBS cowboy die expands the neck just a little bigger for loading lead boolets.

sundog
03-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Ah, just thought of something else. Instead of the spacer with the 8mm top piece, use the 8mm top piece with the turned down mandrel and make a new, but longer cap with the same internal profile to allow the mandrel to continue to float while decapping and maybe hitting the inside bottom of the case. Not sure what the threads are, but if they are standard, a cap screw and lock nut might work just fine.

DrJay1st
03-16-2008, 04:38 PM
From the Lee web site:

Collet Die Set
A Custom Collet Die Set consists of the Collet sizer and the Dead Length Bullet Seater, a shell holder and dipper. Maximum outer diameter at the base is .555 and the maximum bullet diameter is .375. There are a few exceptions for the larger Ultra Mags and if interested in those, you may want to give us a call or send a case to determine whether or not we can make them.

We need:

Payment of $54.00 ($50.00 + $4.00 processing fee)
2 fired cases from the rifle that the ammunition is to be reloaded for
2 sample bullets
Lead time on Collet dies is approximately 90 days depending upon our work load.

and:

Factory Crimp Dies
RIFLE:

A Custom Factory Crimp Die for rifle cartridges can be made for any cartridge with a bullet diameter up to .458 inch and a maximum outer diameter at the base of .580.

We need:

Payment of $29.00 ($25.00 + $4.00 processing fee)
Dummy cartridge (a bullet seated in an empty case)

What is a Dead Length Bullet Seater, what is the diffrence between that and a normal seating die?

I haven't even ordered the rcbs 32-170-FN mold yet...nor have I ordered any cases...don't know what die set I'm gonna settle down with...so how am I gonna send them fired cases and bullets? I guess I could just order the 2 die set and a universal flaring die...seems like a shame to have to do that before one can get the "real" dies. I was trying to order as much together as possible...sort of hated to order a half dozen times...rather get what is needed the first time...I'm cheap (comes from being poor for so long).
Sundog, didn't you say in an earlier post that this mold cast bullets at .323 (can I use that size sizer to seat gas checks and lube)? Shouldn't that be just about perfect for a Win 94 in 32 special? Also is that not what an 8mm is supposed to be? What would be wrong with telling Lee that I want a collet die, and powder thru expander die for a 32 special? Want they have all the dimensions already? I guess I get the Dead Length Bullet Seater die as part of the deal. Or I could order the standard two die set and a custom built powder thru expander die for a 32 special...then I could load some...shoot them...send cases and bullets to lee and have them make a collet die and factory crimp die custom built for this gun. I've got to have a full length sizing die anyway. Will the results be worth it? Is this the right way to go for a cast bullet setup?
Then I could set the turret press up with a collet die, expander/charger die, seating die, and finally a factory crimp die. If I could get reliable powder charging, I should be able to churn them suckers out.
What do you think? Am I crazy?
Jerry

DrJay1st
03-16-2008, 05:25 PM
The rcbs cowboy dies may be the way to go. I'll go to their website and look around. Is the factory crimp die a good idea with cast boolits? Will it exert too much pressure and perhaps squeeze the poor little ole boolit too much?
Also, will the cases chamber ok without full length sizing? Assuming they were fired with reasonable pressures.
Jerry

DrJay1st
03-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Will a flared case fit in the factory crimp die? Is the taper crimp die a better choice for cast boolits?
Jerry

compass will
03-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Jerry, your best bet might be to try some .323 samples first. I have a 1921 Marlin model 93 in 32 Winchester Special, and the .323's don't even fit into the gun.

See this post
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=23247&highlight=compass

I got some samples from Oregon Trail (call them and they will send a couple for free) that were sized at .322, they were OK. sundog send me some .321 and some .323, only the .321 fit. I had purchased 500 .323's that didn't fit, so I bought the Lyman sizer in .321 and I have been sizing them as I go. Once I am out I will start with that same mold you are looking at.

Others with 32 special report that .323 works great. Might be worth checking before spending the money on a sizer.

I have only loaded around 200 so far, but the RCBS cowboy dies have been working great on my lee Turret press.

Bullshop Junior
03-16-2008, 09:48 PM
I load rifle on mine. I dissabled the auto index though.
BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

Craig67
03-17-2008, 08:38 PM
What is a Dead Length Bullet Seater, what is the diffrence between that and a normal seating die?

The dead length bullet seater seats the bullet but does not roll crimp it like the standard Lee seating die.

HTH,

Craig

badgeredd
03-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Guys, I noticed the talk about the 32 Special. My Winchester slugged @ .322 instead of the .321 nominal. My Dad was the original owner and complained about the groups he was getting until I loaded some with round nose 8MM (.323) bullets. I also reduced the load 5% and worked back up just in case the pressures worked out to be too great. The rifle shoots considerqbly better with 8s than it does with 32s. It may be also because of the added length of the bearing surface but for whatever reason it works very well.

RustyFN
03-22-2008, 05:13 PM
I load 223 on my classic turret. I size and decap around 1,000 cases. Then I check, trim, chamfer/debur them. Then I prime all thousand on the press with the safety prime. Then I charge, seat the bullet and factory crimp using the auto indexing. That seems to work the best for me.
Rusty

RFWobbly
03-23-2008, 07:06 PM
I load rifle on mine. I disabled the auto index though.

I was about to say that going slower is one of the keys.
Additionally, the more actions you can move off the press (priming), possibly the better.