PDA

View Full Version : took my press to the range

unclebill
05-04-2015, 08:00 AM
i mounted my trusty LEE single stage to a cutting board.
and brought a couple clamps.
at home i seat everything long
and then test seating depths at the bench
easy peasy
and free!

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/11054293_1127769360582122_7997040683128094351_n_zp shrbo2bcb.jpg (http://s98.photobucket.com/user/billhedges/media/11054293_1127769360582122_7997040683128094351_n_zp shrbo2bcb.jpg.html)

country gent
05-04-2015, 08:39 AM
We did that for several years slightly diffrent than yours doing. We had a powder measure mounted also and took primed cases powder and a scales along with the press and dies. Wife would load the ldder work up 1 roundd at a time and I shot it, made the ladder test go much faster and easier. When we found the clusters we then loaded 4 round groups at mid point and tested but everything could be done at the same time and same day with now extra trips and no left over ammo to burn up.

unclebill
05-04-2015, 09:31 AM
after much tinkering i found the load and an easy metering powder.
it meters well enough that i dont have to trickle
so i use my dillon 550b and seat long
crank out a bunch of rounds
then use the single at the bench

jmorris
05-04-2015, 10:20 AM
Before I had a range in my backyard I would take a press to the range to work up loads. Made 2" receiver mounts for the ones I used.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/gn/3533895716_0a7f11a958.jpg

unclebill
05-04-2015, 11:08 AM
that is a class act!

Iowa Fox
05-04-2015, 11:29 AM
I've seen a lot of presses at the range but thats the first Dillon.

Maximumbob54
05-04-2015, 11:31 AM
This reminds me of a guy I knew that made little caps for his brass. He measured out all the powder at the house and labeled the cases with a marker as to what they were. Then he took a Lee hand press to the range and recorded in a logbook what seating depth worked best with what powder volume. He had a lengthy drive to the range so I guess it made sense to him. Wish I knew how he made the caps. It looked like he dipped the case mouth in that rubber coating stuff. Maybe sacrifice a case by shoving a flat base bullet in and then dip them to make them? Not sure and I've never had the need for such a thing but thought I would share.

Artful
05-04-2015, 07:05 PM
I've seen a lot of presses at the range but thats the first Dillon.

When I first got married, I introduced my wife to the word reloading - and to her that was on a Dillon - one day she saw a bumper sticker on a car in front of us in the slow speed parking lot they call a freeway in Phoenix that said...

"Keep on Honking, I'm busy Reloading"

She turned to me and wanted to know where they put the Dillon in the car.

Now I know....I'll have to show her this picture! ;-)

.22-10-45
05-09-2015, 12:57 AM
When I was working up loads for my Hornet, I used to take neck-sized & primed cases (if I wasn't testing different primers) a Harrels "Schuetzen" measure for which I made up charts of H4227 and # of clicks for weight., and a Wilson chamber type bullet seater with micrometer top. I can seat bullets with pressure of palm of hand...got some funny looks from the non-reloading members.

ukrifleman
05-09-2015, 03:17 PM
A note of caution when reloading at the range, make sure that the rounds are `agitated` to settle the powder before firing.

Fresh loaded rounds that haven't allowed the powder to settle have more air space between granules, resulting in a much faster burning charge, which could lead to very high pressures, even with published loads.

ukrifleman.

Green Frog
05-09-2015, 09:29 PM
A note of caution when reloading at the range, make sure that the rounds are `agitated` to settle the powder before firing.

Fresh loaded rounds that haven't allowed the powder to settle have more air space between granules, resulting in a much faster burning charge, which could lead to very high pressures, even with published loads.

ukrifleman.

That will come as a surprise to all of the hundreds (thousands?) of schuetzen participants who load each round as they shoot them... I guess I'll have to get an agitator to add to all the rest of the stuff I drag to the bench on schuetzen match or practice days.

Froggie

rondog
05-09-2015, 10:13 PM
Somewhere I have a photo of a reloading bench setup in some guys' motorhome. Always thought that was.....

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/funnies/brilliant.jpg

country gent
05-09-2015, 10:16 PM
I have read several versions of this, dont allow ammo in vehicles for long periods vibration changes granuals and coatings changing burn rate. Do tumble clean loaded ammo same reasoning. Settle powder charges before shooting for best accuracy. I have seen one reloader who used a electric razor for vibration to settle powder charges in cases before seating bullets. There are so many variations of these out there. As far as I know no true pressure tested data exists for the diffrences in the same powder load in diffrent states of position or settling. Then throw in the BPCR guys shooting real Black and compressing the powder charge .100-.400 with a special die before seating the wad and bullet. So many diffrent opinions.

country gent
05-09-2015, 10:25 PM
RonDog, I have seen several inclosed trailers at the nationals with rifle racks cleaning bench loading bench and a work bench in them at the Nationals ( Camp Perry) and some other big matches. These were set up with lighting and alot of anemnities. Drop down door made a ramp for family to roll shooting carts up easily. brass and ammo cabnient made getting the carts ready for the next day quick and easy. One was set up with 2 "jacks" for back corners and front jack leveled and got it off the springs for a very solid area. Trailer could be dropped in a parking space and the vehicle was then free to use for meals and other trips. Alot of benchresters shutzen shooters and other load at the matches for a given day or relay.

rondog
05-10-2015, 01:04 AM
RonDog, I have seen several inclosed trailers at the nationals with rifle racks cleaning bench loading bench and a work bench in them at the Nationals ( Camp Perry) and some other big matches. These were set up with lighting and alot of anemnities. Drop down door made a ramp for family to roll shooting carts up easily. brass and ammo cabnient made getting the carts ready for the next day quick and easy. One was set up with 2 "jacks" for back corners and front jack leveled and got it off the springs for a very solid area. Trailer could be dropped in a parking space and the vehicle was then free to use for meals and other trips. Alot of benchresters shutzen shooters and other load at the matches for a given day or relay.

I've often dreamed of building up just such a trailer for my own use on range trips, I think it would be awesome! Have all my range stuff and ammo already loaded and stowed, just add guns, fill the cooler and go! If I could afford such a thing, and had a place to keep it.....

r1kk1
05-10-2015, 12:50 PM
here is my portable solution:

this is what I use on the road and the mounting plate is pretty universal. I place the bench anywhere I want to load. Working on a riser plate from Dan to make it even more useful and practical. this is in my 5th wheel and I place two five gallon buckets on the floor and the bench with the press on top of it and it is very easy to use sitting in my chair. I have taken it to the range also.

take care

r1kk1

jmorris
05-11-2015, 08:50 AM
I have read several versions of this, dont allow ammo in vehicles for long periods vibration changes granuals and coatings changing burn rate.

My Grandfather post load tumbled ammunition behind the seat of his truck for decades. I also have ammunition that has gone around the world and back, some of it is older than me, no telling how much vibration it has been subjected to.

Green Frog
05-11-2015, 03:14 PM
Some of the old Ideal™ loading books used to discuss this and showed a picture of what appeared to be an old Chrysler Airflow with a loading setup in the trunk based on a TruLine Jr on its own little loading bench. I put a TL Jr on a short piece of 2X4 and used C-clamps to put it on a bench to load for my 32-40 a time or two, but the fact of the matter is, Ideal/Lyman made the perfect equipment to use for at-the-range loading, it's called the 310 Tool! :mrgreen:

Froggie