PDA

View Full Version : Aprox value of Finnish m27?

Tackleberry41
05-04-2015, 07:55 AM
Went to visit a friend, he works at a gunstore in a small town. He was showing me the stuff they had bought from the local PD. Take all or leave it all, the usual assortment of junk guns, some pretty odd, some decent ones. Not sure why the police consider a rifle without a bolt a gun, but they had one in the pile. He asked if I needed another mosin. Well its a prewar hex receiver M27, 1933, Tikka. The slider on the rear sight is gone, and the stock has definitely seen better days, big cut out where the receiver is, glued back in. But other than that seemed decent. I would prefer to get myself a really good deal, but whats one worth anymore?

lefty o
05-04-2015, 09:14 AM
in the condition you describe, i wouldnt give more than $100 for it. as to why a rifle without a bolt is considered a firearm, the serial #'d reciever is the firearm, just like a stripped AR15 lower. useless without the other parts, but is considered a firearm even though it is incapable of firing without the rest of the parts.

Tackleberry41
05-10-2015, 09:03 AM
Had my friend check the barrel for me, a rear sight is $20, and its a fin made rifle. Its trashed. First 6 in of barrel is so rough hard to even push a patch thru it. So somebody put alot of corrosive ammo thru it and didn't clean it. Only value has now is parts like the trigger.

yeahbub
05-12-2015, 03:02 AM
Hold on! There's an excellent opportunity here. Bolts can be had, as can barrels and stocks. With a .308 groove barrel of the M27 contour, it could be chambered for what the Finns called the 7.62x53R, with which they achieved excellent accuracy in their M85 designated marksman and competition rifles. They also had an earlier version with a .310 groove dimension which was intended to accommodate the vast quantities of conventional 7.62x54R ammo their potential enemies use. The M27 was one of these and they are accurate rifles.

The Finns never made any receivers. They captured vast quantities of Mosins during the Winter War and the Continuation War. Some were deemed to be of usable accuracy, but the rest were modified with new barrels and furniture to produce superior rifles for their troops. By the way, I've seen some neglected Mosins so badly corroded the rifling was barely visible, but which cleaned up and still gave serviceable accuracy. It may not be in as bad a condition as you might suspect. If nothing else, the receiver and hardware will be needed for someone's project rifle.

Adam Helmer
05-12-2015, 01:57 PM
I would not pay more than $50 as a "Parts Gun." The world is awash in very nice Mosins, both Russian and Finnish. Evidence Room guns probably are most useful as Boat Anchors.

Adam

Ken in Iowa
05-12-2015, 02:20 PM
M27s can be quite valuable even in junk condition. 1933 is not a rare year, but some of the parts make it worthwhile to the right person. Barrel bands, hand guard, cleaning rod, sling swivels, trigger, bolt connector and the cocking piece are of interest.

The M27 originally had the short and snug 'F' throating and rifling with a nominal .3095" groove diameter. Most were later re-throated for the long D166 .310" bulleted Finn ammo. These rifles were supposed to be stamped with a 'D' on the barrel shank.

Some Combloc ammo will not chamber and/or give pressure signs in an unmodified rifle. I reloaded for mine using .310 125 gr bullets designed for 7.62x39. The Hornady .3105" 174 gr FMJ would be ideal. For cast, 311331 would also be ideal.

Gunboards.com forums would be your best source of information on Finn Mosins along with www.mosinnagant.net and 7.62x54r.net among others.

Good luck!

Ken in Iowa
05-12-2015, 02:22 PM
I would not pay more than $50 as a "Parts Gun." The world is awash in very nice Mosins, both Russian and Finnish. Evidence Room guns probably are most useful as Boat Anchors.

Adam

Sir, you would not believe what I have seen in the vault. Far from boat anchors!

Tackleberry41
05-12-2015, 05:46 PM
Might have been misunderstood, the mosin wasn't missing a bolt, it was an SKS in the stack missing that.

The stock on the mosin was pretty ugly, a big chunk spliced in where the receiver is. The slider missing off the rear sight. It did have a pretty nice trigger in it. I didn't get a chance to look over the markings to much at the time, just enough to know it was a Tikka made. Didn't look in the bore at the time. My friend did, who knows how long it was in evidence, or what somebody did to it, but it was pretty bad, hard to even push a patch thru that first 6 in after the chamber, tore up the patches.

Yes it could be rebarreled, but his boss is not going to sell it to me for $50-$100 as a parts gun, when he can pawn it off on somebody for $250. Im not paying $250. I have an extra mosin here that shoots screwy, I can get a Green mountain fast twist 308 barrel for less than $100 and a timney trigger, be money ahead. Might be able to talok my friend into letting me swap out the trigger parts tho.

Adam Helmer
05-12-2015, 06:01 PM
Ken in Iowa,

For 26 years I was a federal agent and also Division Firearms Coordinator. We had vaults full of guns and every few years we took a pickup truck load out into the Atlantic Ocean on a Coast Guard vessel and tossed them into the briny deep. Some were nice and some were "boat anchors."

Adam

Ken in Iowa
05-12-2015, 06:56 PM
Adam

That is unfortunate. In Iowa, many confiscated long guns are offered to the state crime lab first, then sold at auction. This M27 would sell at auction for a reasonable price.

Tack

If you swap out the trigger, you will probably find that it is quite different from the standard Russian.

Tackleberry41
05-13-2015, 09:26 AM
So a fin trigger wouldn't drop into a russian rifle?

LAGS
05-13-2015, 09:38 PM
I have taken the trigger off my Finn when I installed a Timney on it.
And the trigger fit on my 91/30 just fine.
But it wasnt as crisp as it was in the Finn that it was originally FIT for.
So drop in and work ,it will.
Drop in and be a Total upgrade , it will not
Too bad I cant get that rifle.
I have spare parts for a M27 from the one I sporterized, like the rear sight, front sight, and a stock somewhere.
I kept the second M27 original.

Ken in Iowa
05-14-2015, 10:16 AM
I have taken the trigger off my Finn when I installed a Timney on it.
And the trigger fit on my 91/30 just fine.
But it wasnt as crisp as it was in the Finn that it was originally FIT for.
So drop in and work ,it will.
Drop in and be a Total upgrade , it will not
Too bad I cant get that rifle.
I have spare parts for a M27 from the one I sporterized, like the rear sight, front sight, and a stock somewhere.
I kept the second M27 original.

There you go. A great home for that rifle. Perhaps you can help get them together Tack. Great post LAGS.

As built, the M27 had a radically advanced trigger, bolt connector and cocking piece. It worked fine when clean, but would easily fail in the dirt and mud. Most bolt connectors were changed to the standard type which alleviated the problem. (I have corrected my earlier post on several points. It's tough to get old. :) )

For or more info on the M27, see these links;

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM27.htm

http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/The-Finnish-M27.asp

Tackleberry41
05-19-2015, 08:03 AM
Been out of town, talked to my friend last night, guess I can get a really good deal on that rifle if I want it. A casual mosin buyer isn't going to pay that kind of money, one who would know its a fin rifle will look it over and see the barrel is trashed. So guess be a tough sale.

Mosins are slowly creeping up, with the supply dried up. Stopped at Adel outfitters on the way home from Fla, they had straight bolt mosin in the rack. Sure Ill look. Round receiver rifle in ok condition was $219.

dogrunner
05-26-2015, 02:58 PM
My 27............a 1932 Tikka has a hex receiver/Imperial eagle stamp, and NO serial # other than that on the bbl. Gun is a CAI import.