PDA

View Full Version : Rotometals?

will52100
05-03-2015, 07:57 PM
I've only ever bought tin from Rotometals, but see there listing a special on pallets of lead. I'm thinking of getting a 1000 pound pallet of pure lead. I've got plenty of tin, a few hundred pounds of lead from wheel weights and from the scrap yards, but it's getting hard to find, especially pure lead down here. Or even soft enough to be used as pure lead.

Anybody ever bought a lot of lead from them? I'm thinking the 1754$ price tag isn't that bad for known lead that I don't have to smelt and sort and test. And it'd last me a long, long time. Or is lead prices falling even more and it'll get cheaper in the future?

Thanks

dragon813gt
05-03-2015, 09:15 PM
I'd call other foundries and see what price they will give you. I was able to get 96/2/2 for $1.36 a pound shipped. Not to my house but to our warehouse where we have a loading dock. I'd imagine pure lead would be even cheaper. I know Rotometals is a sponsor but their prices are to high for me. Now the Linotype is a pretty good bargain and I thought about buying it a few times.

Mitch
05-03-2015, 09:20 PM
I thought the pure lead price was hi and the same linotype pallet of 1000lbs was a fair deal.but like said above I have a loading dock at work to.with what they want around here for lead at the scrap yards plus melting and cleaning the **** you get the roto price is lookin better all the time.zit surer sounds line to just drop in some clean known alloy in the pot and have it over with in one melting.

ejcrist
05-04-2015, 12:08 PM
Mitch - I wouldn't hesitate to buy a pallet of lead from Rotometals, and I'm thinking that's what I'll ask my wife for as a birthday present - forget a night at the opera. I think it's a fair price considering the quality of lead you're getting and the fact that it's delivered to your door. I think it's an excellent deal.

Gene

JSnover
05-04-2015, 05:16 PM
The price may not be exactly what you want to pay but that's life, more often than not.
You know exactly what it is, you have it all right now instead of scrounging for a few years and they deliver it to you. That's gotta count for something.

will52100
05-04-2015, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger. I don't mind scrapping, but it eats into my time too much these days and I'm tired of playing guessing games with scrap.

will52100
05-10-2015, 11:17 AM
Got the pallet in 3 days after ordering. Very fast shipping. Now just to figure out how to cut the bars so I can melt them. Being soft lead I may just use an axe. Or chainsaw. Should be done buying lead for now anyway!

ejcrist
05-10-2015, 03:29 PM
Did you get the 5 lb bars? If so they should fit in the pot standing on edge. If you have a smaller pot I'd just melt them into 1 lb ingots rather than cutting. I think it'd be easier anyway.

dragon813gt
05-10-2015, 03:36 PM
Sounds like he got a pallet of pigs. Good luck trying to fit them in the pot ;)

jmort
05-10-2015, 03:49 PM
"I was able to get 96/2/2 for $1.36 a pound shipped"

​Which foundry? That is a great price.

will52100
05-11-2015, 09:02 AM
No kidding that's a great price!

I got the 100 pound pigs, kinda hard to stuff them into a 20lbs. pot. They are light enough however for me to lift and put on the bandsaw and use it to cut into sections. And the bandsaw takes a very small kerf out, unlike other methods I thought about like the chainsaw.

kweidner
05-11-2015, 09:31 AM
"I was able to get 96/2/2 for $1.36 a pound shipped"

​Which foundry? That is a great price.

I can't get that price buying by the ton. No joke let me know, I will change vendors.