PDA

View Full Version : Match champion

Thumbcocker
05-03-2015, 07:49 AM
Anyone running boolits in one of these? I have fondled a couple and they seem very nice. Was wondering about the usual Ruger quirks tight throats and thread choke.

dek16001
05-03-2015, 08:07 AM
I have one and have been shooting wadcutters (358495) I front of 3.3 gr. Of bullseye. It's very accurate at 25yards. The pistol was fine out of the box. I do have one chamber that seems smaller than the rest though. Trigger ,fit,and finish was all good. The strange thing I did notice is if you have acquired any bad habits in terms of grip,or trigger control the pistol will amplify the bad habit and won't be accurate. Overall I'm very happy with the pistol .

Kirk Miller
05-03-2015, 04:18 PM
I just picked one up about a month ago. All throats slug at .358 and there seems to be no thread choke. As dek16002 stated any bad grip habits are amplified. I've only tested a few loads, but so far six gr. unique with the brp 150 rnfp is the king. The 358477 boolit also shoots well but the brp boolit is still the most accurate .358 I have ever shot in any of my four other 357's.

Probably 90% of my hand gunning is done with an older GP100 6 in. barrel half lug. Now, those throats I did have reamed and it is the most accurate revolver I have ever shot. The only fly in the ointment, is that it requires 358.5 boolits, while the match champion Absolutely needs boolits sized at .358 thus keeping the two sizes separate necessary.

It's probably my old eyes, but I for one hate the fiber optic front sight. In the LGS the sights were great but in the field the glare is too much. Just something for the OP to think about.
The front sight dove tail is a different size then the standard GP100 so finding a replacement may be a challenge. I know that I've been unable to find one.

All in all, If I were limited to only one 357. the match champion would be the one. It's accurate, rugged and nice looking, what's not to like?

Thanks for the opportunity to respond.
Kirk

FergusonTO35
05-03-2015, 10:06 PM
I would love to see the Match Champion with the same adjustable sights as the regular one.

Ickisrulz
05-03-2015, 10:16 PM
I would love to see the Match Champion with the same adjustable sights as the regular one.

An adjustable sight Match Champion is now available. I have the fixed sights and have ran a few thousand lead bullets through it. I size .357 or .358 and get the same result, as lead-free as anything else I shoot. At first, the cylinder would get tight after a couple hundred rounds. After taking the cylinder off the crane and cleaning it a few times, it is more resistant to cast bullet shooting funk and spins freely after hundreds of rounds now.

http://ruger.com/products/gp100MatchChampion/models.html

warboar_21
05-04-2015, 11:38 AM
So far I have shot a few hundred of my Lee full wadcutter and 158gr SWC loads in both 38 special and 357. It has shot both extremely well. I haven't noticed any leading at all with those two loads. I size them to .358 and they are extremely accurate. It has taken over as my favorite carry gun when out out and about.

As far as the sights are concerned. I emailed Novak when I bought the gun and asked them if they had an adjustable rear sight that would work on the match champion. They responded back with not at this time but the were working on one. Also in my box was a small brass pin. It is an insert for the front sight so if you don't like the fiber optic you can remove it and replace it with the brass pin. Or you could simply use a marker and darken the top of the fiber optic rod a little to prevent it from being so bright.

My buddy who is a big time S&W lover and who has the 686 SSR said he was really impressed with the Match Champion. It was hard for him to say since he has never been a fan of Ruger double action revolvers.