PDA

View Full Version : Any 17 Hornet shooters out there?

JDHasty
05-03-2015, 01:33 AM
I am Jonesing for a CZ Varmint in 17 Hornet and have been for two years now. I spent my 17 Hornet cash on a Ruger Single Seven last fall... and I am not really a pistol guy at heart. The Single Seven was a "limited production" run though and I said: I can get a CZ anytime. Well now it is chuck season once again and I am second guessing that decision.

Right now I am shooting a 527 American in 22 Hornet at the close to mid-range rockchucks and LOVE it. BUT, I have a 4-20 mounted on it and unless I turn my scope down to ~12 power I cannot see my bullet hit - and even then it is a 50/50 proposition.

What I would really like is a 527 Varmint in 22 Hornet, but am not willing to speculate on for taking a shot on having a Lilja fitted to a 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet. Hornets shoot... sometimes, but CZ 22 Hornets always shoot. C'mon, CZ make the 527 Varmint with your hammer forged barrel in 22 Hornet!

By the way, I am getting 3,250 w/a 40 gr vmax and we have a couple oehlers that say so. That is why I would prefer to buy a 22 over a 17 Hornet - IF I can see my bullets hit. And with another half-pound of barrel weight I think that would happen.

Hey, no one can say with a straight face that trajectory is a factor for chuck shooting and prairie dog shooting any longer since laser range finders have become a consumer item. Can they? Give me the bullet splash from a 22 cal 40 gr Vmax any day over a 20 gr 17 cal bullet splash to call my own shots with and I will take it. For God's sake, even when I am "going light," going w/out my range finder is not a consideration.

Not that I would ever surplus my H&R Sako action Ultra Varmint. It is just too easy on cats. Entrance hole and a cat skin full of pulp with no exit hole w/the Hornady 25 gr HP.

I have four Eagle View contender barrel stubs ordered and am sitting on a 22 Hornet and a 17 Hornet new take off CZ barrel in American and Varmint weight respectively to make up barrels for my six-year old to shoot chucks with using one of my Contender frames and a kids carbine stock I have been saving up. I guess I could wait it out and see how the17 Hornet recoils before ordering a 527 Varmint in 17 HH for myself.... but patience has never been my long suit.

I shoot the Ultra Varmint in 17 Rem and like the 17 just fine, but that rifle is in a an MPI stock and weighs less than a Ruger Redhawk and there is no way it will allow me to see hits with any scope set above three power. It has a "pencil barrel" and shoots sub half-minute groups and is a cat and coyote rifle, although I do shoot chucks with it. I laid in five of the Douglas premium Ultra-Rifled factory barrels when H&R liquidated them in the early 1990's and am still sitting on three fresh ones ~25 years later. I fell hard for the short barrel life nonsense and acted proactively.

What I want to hear is: Can you see the 17 Hornet bullets impact through a 20 power scope? Or, does recoil make this "iffy." If the consensus answer is yes you can bet I am going to order one tomorrow. The older I get the more antisocial I get in my chuck shooting and my only frustration has been not having any idea whether I made a "confirmed kill" and if I missed where did my bullet hit.

tdoyka
05-03-2015, 01:51 AM
check out http://www.saubier.com/forum.html