PDA

View Full Version : Graphite Seed Lube

richhodg66
05-02-2015, 10:31 PM
While driving home, saw a five gallon bucket on the side of the road and figured I could use one so I stopped and it was a bucket from this grapite and talc lube they use to make planting seeds work through the machinery. Turns out there was about three or four cups of the stuff left in it.

Is this stuff good for anything else? I have used powdered graphite for inside case necks when resizing them, will this work as well? Could it be used on tumbled lubed bullets perhaps?

runfiverun
05-03-2015, 06:49 PM
I would think so.
you could tumble lube then shake a smidge of the mix over the lot and work the graphite in amongst them.

when I make buck-shot I put a shot of graphite in with a handful of the balls and let them run around the tumbler for about 1/2 hour, this helps peen the balls rounder and puts a coating of the graphite on them.

Tenbender
05-03-2015, 07:20 PM
While driving home, saw a five gallon bucket on the side of the road and figured I could use one so I stopped and it was a bucket from this grapite and talc lube they use to make planting seeds work through the machinery. Turns out there was about three or four cups of the stuff left in it.

Is this stuff good for anything else? I have used powdered graphite for inside case necks when resizing them, will this work as well? Could it be used on tumbled lubed bullets perhaps?

I have a couple thousand Remington 454 boolits that have been tumbled in some kind of graphite lube. I would like to get my hands on some for my 40 S&W.

richhodg66
05-03-2015, 11:28 PM
I know they sell this stuff in farm stores and I always wondered. Was too busy to do it today, but I'll read the container and see just what it is. Kind of a dark gray, very, very fine powder. Not as dark as the graphite powder I use to lube inside case necks. I'm sure I'll find some use for it.

GabbyM
05-04-2015, 12:09 AM
Not all the seed lube is the same stuff. Talc mix and straight Graphite. John Deere seed lube is fairly straight graphite and does not clump up. I've only purchased the straight graphite. Use about a pint per year in the planter. Pinch or two neck sizing rifle cases. That talc stuff should work on case necks also. It's main purpose is to lube the moving parts in seed meters.

Good Cheer
05-05-2015, 05:57 PM
Yep, me too on case necks. Also tried it out in some boolit applications. Haven't used it in quite a while due to not having enough time to do fun stuff.

Farmall
05-15-2015, 08:08 PM
Hi Rich! Don't I know you from somewhere? Lol!

Can't say I have ever used as straight lube, but I have dusted tumble lubed bullets with it. Works great, and makes a coating similar to Hornady swaged lead bullets.

richhodg66
05-15-2015, 10:55 PM
I may try that, Andy. Sounds like a good idea on pistol bullets anyway. I always thought the stuff the coat commercial swaged wadcutters looked like graphite powder.

GabbyM
05-16-2015, 09:22 PM
Not all the seed lube is the same stuff. Talc mix and straight Graphite. John Deere seed lube is fairly straight graphite and does not clump up. I've only purchased the straight graphite. Use about a pint per year in the planter. Pinch or two neck sizing rifle cases. That talc stuff should work on case necks also. It's main purpose is to lube the moving parts in seed meters.

Quoting myself for an update:

Was In Rural King a while back and read the label on the talc seed lube. Scary read! Mention of cancer risk! It only contained a small percentage of graphite. Price was about one forth that of John Deere graphite lube. I'll be staying with graphite lube for my planter and my case resizing. For case size work. I dip then push the case neck over a brush held in a Forester plastic base. Some goes aerosol the rest turns your fingers black. That's to much contact for a talc that is labeled as a carcinogen. Our seed in the planter boxes is already so toxic a respirator and rubber gloves are recommended. Insecticides, mouse poisons and all sorts of delectable chemicals. I don't wish to wear a respirator and gloves to reload.

rollmyown
05-16-2015, 09:43 PM
Carbon plus heat plus pressure is used to make synthetic diamonds. Graphite, in doing some reading, is a form of carbon that can be used. I dont know if its possible for the short time between detonation and the bullet exiting the barrel, but not knowing enough about it I wouldn't use it. Who knows, it might turn from lubricant to abrasive?

GabbyM
05-16-2015, 10:02 PM
Carbon plus heat plus pressure is used to make synthetic diamonds. Graphite, in doing some reading, is a form of carbon that can be used. I dont know if its possible for the short time between detonation and the bullet exiting the barrel, but not knowing enough about it I wouldn't use it. Who knows, it might turn from lubricant to abrasive?

Graphite is what's sold in the neck lube kits and has been used since metal cases have been around. Graphite is also used in most powders as a flow lubricant. Pressures seen in a firearm are no where near what it takes to change molecular structure. Our common graphite is made from coal and most often seen in the form of pencil "lead". Lead has never been used in pencils BTW.

Cowboy_Dan
05-17-2015, 02:08 PM
Quoting myself for an update:

Was In Rural King a while back and read the label on the talc seed lube. Scary read! Mention of cancer risk! It only contained a small percentage of graphite. Price was about one forth that of John Deere graphite lube. I'll be staying with graphite lube for my planter and my case resizing. For case size work. I dip then push the case neck over a brush held in a Forester plastic base. Some goes aerosol the rest turns your fingers black. That's to much contact for a talc that is labeled as a carcinogen. Our seed in the planter boxes is already so toxic a respirator and rubber gloves are recommended. Insecticides, mouse poisons and all sorts of delectable chemicals. I don't wish to wear a respirator and gloves to reload.

I don't know all of the types of cancer talc can give you, but the warnings are in connection to, at least, talc's propensity to cause cervical cancer when included in feminine "freshness" products. That said, talc may well cause other cancers.

Super Sneaky Steve
05-25-2015, 10:53 PM
I hatched an idea the other day as I was using powdered graphite on some buckshot.

What would happen if we reduced a load by a grain then added a grain of powdered graphite to the powder?

The idea would be the barrel would then be seasoned with the graphite when it's fired.

Dumb idea? Anyone try it?

GabbyM
05-26-2015, 12:06 AM
I hatched an idea the other day as I was using powdered graphite on some buckshot.

What would happen if we reduced a load by a grain then added a grain of powdered graphite to the powder?

The idea would be the barrel would then be seasoned with the graphite when it's fired.

Dumb idea? Anyone try it?

Most ball powder and maybe stick? , has graphite in it to help with flow.

As for Talc. That's a classification. Talc seed lube is probably not the same thing as baby powder. Graphite is mostly coal dust aka pencil "lead".