PDA

View Full Version : the proper way--the safe way of the cat sneeze

49FMarlin
05-02-2015, 07:41 PM
What is the proper/Safe way of reducing unique or Bulleye
in a round for finding the cat sneeze load

1-ive read you take your min load, and keep reducing little by little until you get a boolit stuck--then go up from there
until you find a charge that gives you the accurate distance/noise you want,

IS THIS TRUE?

2-what signs do you look for as your reducing the charge ?

(other than looking each time for a stuck boolit)

Ive read/heard reducing charges can blow up your barrel---will unique or bull eye do this?

thank you

62chevy
05-02-2015, 08:31 PM
I'm working on cat sneeze loads for my Savage Axis in .308 Win. With Unique the universal 10 grains worked a charm with 168 grain lead boolit. But don't have much of that so switched to TiteGroupe as I have plenty. Asked on a thread and and was told 3.4 to 5 grains work with the TL314-90-SWC.

Tell us what gun or rifle you want reduced loads in and help will be on the way. Many good thread on the subject too, do a search for cat sneeze, mouse pharts or farts and you will have reading for a year.

P.S. I ain't doing that reduce until stuck thing if I can help it but should work. And Bullseye is great for cat sneeze loads.

Artful
05-02-2015, 10:03 PM
http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/DevelopSubsonic.html

Rules for the safe operation of subsonic loads:

1. Drill Flashole to 3.5mm (9/64") to allow all the primer flash to enter the case and ignite the powder completely.
2. Use Magnum Primers for maximum primer flash and better powder ignition.
3. Lube all bullets. Moly is good, animal fat is better.
4. Lubricate the bore regularily while shooting.
5. Never crimp bullets into cases. Never seat bullets "into the lands."
6. Try not to use powder charges of less than 40% load density.
7. If load density is less than 40%, use tamping or fillers to keep the powder at the bottom of the case.
8. Make sure the bullet exits the bore after each shot.
9. Use only the fastest burning pistol powders - N310, N312, Bullseye, Clays, Titewad, HP38, Red Dot.
10. Any sort of slow ignition or hangfire is a warning of iminent Secondary Explosive Effect (SEE).

http://guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane1.html

http://guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane2.html

http://guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane3.html

https://www.google.com/#q=subsonic+cat+sneeze+reloading+site:castboolits. gunloads.com

scottfire1957
05-02-2015, 11:23 PM
OP, you have started a few threads requesting information about mousefart and catsneeze loads.

Have you done any kind of search on this site at all? Your questions HAVE been asked before, and answered.

wmitty
05-03-2015, 12:08 AM
The reduction of powder charge should not cause a problem with boolits but I sure wouldn't reduce it to the point of sticking a boolit in the bore. I have not found it necessary to drill out the flashhole on brass used for cat sneeze loads. The boolit 62chevy mentioned works great; I've used it in .30-30; .308 and .30-06 cases with 2.5 grains on up to 7 grains of 700 X with fine results. I dropped to 2 grains in the .30-30 to check noise level; it still sounded louder that the report of a .22 LR when fired in a rifle.

PULSARNC
05-03-2015, 08:34 PM
having had one rifle to come to pieces in a most spectacular fashion due to what several gunsmiths diagnosed as a S.E.E. I for one have ceased pursuit of said loads .

Maximumbob54
05-03-2015, 08:56 PM
You could just use published Trail Boss loads.

Eddie2002
05-03-2015, 09:24 PM
I worked on a mouse fart load using the Lee100.311 bullet mould made for the .32 calibr pistol. I was shooting them out of a 7.7 Jap as dropped using a mix of resized 30-06 brass and home made beeswax bullet lube. I used Green Dot and Bullseye as powders and found that Bullseye worked the best. The lightest load I was able to get to work at 15yds was 1.8 grains of Bullseye with a very small amount of cotton pressed down in the bottom of the case to hold the powder charge in posistion. I do not recommend using cotton for loads over 7-8 grains, just for really light loads. I never stuck a boolit in the barrel but could see the flight path of the slug when fired. The neck tension of the case is extreamly important, one shot keyholed because of a loose neck. The report was about as loud as a .22 rimfire even with the 1.8 grains of BE and a .22 is way more accurate. It was fun developing the load but 5-6 grains of BE works so much better at 25-50yds I stopped using the extra light charges.
Since you haven't told us what caliber or boolit you are planning to shoot take my post as guide lines which worked in my Arisaka, you are on your own with your firearm.

Artful
05-03-2015, 11:46 PM
having had one rifle to come to pieces in a most spectacular fashion due to what several gunsmiths diagnosed as a S.E.E. I for one have ceased pursuit of said loads .

Have you posted your particulars on the board - I seem to have missed it if so and would appreciate a link to your report.

rsrocket1
05-04-2015, 07:11 PM
My best subsonic load has been working down with a Lee C309-200-R from 10g Red Dot down to 6.5g which clocked at 1005 fps. When you drop the pressure very much below 9,000 psi, the powders tend to burn dirty, inconsistently and incomplete. That leads to inconsistent/innacurate shots. At 50 feet, who cares? At 50 yards, it makes a difference.

I've run as much as 15 grains Unique under a 100g bullet, but they were totally inaccurate. I even got the bullets up to 3000 fps using RL-7, but again very inaccurate, but they did punch the cleanest holes I've ever seen in a paper target. :)

49FMarlin
05-05-2015, 04:39 PM
I did not post my size boolits, as i wanted the right way to do it, not others loads they already found worked for them,

ARTFUL gave me the info i was searching for, THANK YOU

I am loading for the 1949F-30-30 marlin lever action ballard grooves
and
44magnum CVA-CV-Scout-Pistol 1/20 twist break action 14inch barrel

Eddie2002
05-05-2015, 08:33 PM
Here's the information I used to work up my plinker load.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/small_charges.htm

It's a good read