PDA

View Full Version : Boolit pushed into case

Gisli
05-02-2015, 04:19 PM
Hi everyone.

Today I was using my son´s K98 Mauser and I tried to chamber a round, not realizing that there already was one in the chamber. The boolit was not crimped and so was pushed into the case and sat on top of the powder charge, below the rim. Is it OK to fire
such a round ? The boolit is a 220 grs and the charge is 26 grs of Rel 7. We decided not to do it and my son extracted the boolit, later, at home. So what do you think of it, would pressure be excessive, if fired ?

CPL Lou
05-02-2015, 04:27 PM
I wouldn't fire it.
Pressures would greatly increased and may take the rifle apart.

CPL Lou

P.S. I used to live in Reykyavik back in the '70's, on the NATO base.
Loved it there !

Gisli
05-02-2015, 04:41 PM
Hi Lou, well we decided not to do it. I honestly cannot imagine that anyone could have enjoyed living at the NATO base in Keflavik. Reykjavik (30 miles to base ) is different. We have mountains and all that, but in Keflavik nothing but flat lava fields. But in the 70´s we were able to receive the AFRTS television from the base. Bonanza 12 o´clock high, Have gun will travel and all that. In 1970 I started shooting skeet with base personnel, that was fun.

Le Loup Solitaire
05-02-2015, 07:51 PM
Better that you did not fire the cartridge. Pull the head and/or toss the cartridge. The pressure would/could have caused an accident and/or wrecked the rifle. As for the NATO base in Reykjavik, living on it in the sixties or seventies would have been a luxury as compared to living off base/on the economy. The local government then would not allow the transmission of AFRTS to off base. There was also the "customs gate" to get back on base where all NATO personnel living on the economy that bought things at the commissary or BX had to declare/register them and a meticulous record of all purchases was kept on everyone. What fun!!!! LLS

pworley1
05-02-2015, 08:51 PM
If you have an inertial puller it will come out easily.

smokeywolf
05-02-2015, 09:07 PM
I'm pretty sure "bullet set-back" has blown apart (KABOOM) more than one firearm.