PDA

View Full Version : Playing with shot

aarolar
05-02-2015, 03:16 PM
Im itching to get in the creek and do some fishing but its staying out of the banks due to the rains we have been having. In my wait I decided today to play with some shot loads for chance encounters with rattlemoccasions. Im not in the habit of shooting every snake I cross but if I come upon one too closely or a particularly aggressive one I want something quick at hand to turn his attention.

I noted today that the powder load makes a remarkable difference in the pattern. I started today with around 4.2 grains or a .5cc scoop of tight group and had erratic patterns. I reduced to around half that and had a marked improvement.

One thing I can attest to not working is a primer only load. I was only using painters paper for testing and I could hear the 8s hit and roll off without even the slightest mark. [emoji1]

Anyway I ended up using a 22lr as a powder measure and fill the rest with shot. I was also using a .357 case in my airweight just crimping enough it would chamber. I really want to get my hands on some 9s and I think it would be even more effective.

Mk42gunner
05-02-2015, 11:28 PM
Pattern density is what does it for Mr. No-Shoulders. #12 shot from a .22 works better than #7½ from a CCI .38 Special factory load, at least for me.

I bought a ten pound bag of #12 from Ballistic Products for my home grown loads and haven't seen a snake since. By the way, I am not complaining about that.

I need to get busy on my .32 S&W shot loads.

Robert

Larry in MT
05-08-2015, 10:07 AM
You didn't say how many grains of shot you are getting in the 357 case. I reload using the CCI shot capsules --- 109 grains in .38 and 140 grains in .44. Works pretty well. Killed my first 2015 snake last week with a .38 shot shell.

I'd like to try some #12 --- All I've ever used is #8, taken from cheap shotgun shells. I've never seen loaded shotgun shells with #12 in them.

I've killed lots of snakes with a 22 mag shot shell using #11 shot (about 50 grains) and that worked fine. Now CCI uses #12 in them but I still have a bunch of old ones.

FergusonTO35
05-10-2015, 05:43 PM
It still amazes me that a big rattler or moccasin can be killed with a rimfire shot round. My grandfather used to shoot stray dogs in the rear end with those to discourage them from coming around. They would let out a yelp and take off like lightning. Not something I woild do, but it certainly didnt kill them.

Nicholas
05-11-2015, 06:42 PM
In an incident in my impetuous youth, I rapidly fired a cylinder full of 357 loaded with (then) Speer shot capsules into a copperhead as it crawled across a concrete floor toward me; sort of a slow charge so to speak. As I recall, I had loaded the capsules with #10 shot in front of BE. What with direct hits and ricochets, the snake was peppered with pellets but continued lively till the 6th load stopped it dead. On inspection I found that the base wad of the last shot capsule had struck just behind the head for the sudden kill. The myriad other perforations were not lethal. A garden hoe or a stout stick would have been far more effective. On reflection, I also decided that it was not a good idea to shoot shot loads inside a stone out building.

Tenbender
05-11-2015, 08:15 PM
That is what I have noticed. You might as well shoot slugs. The wad shoots through the shot charge and you wind up with a hole in your patters. Fun to play with though ! lol

DLCTEX
05-12-2015, 12:40 AM
I have found that heavy powder charges tend to blow holes in the shot pattern. Three grains of either 231, Bullseye, or Red Dot works for me in 38, 357, 44 mag., or 45 acp under #9 shot. I test patterns by shooting into still water, it quickly goes away but beats messing with paper.