PDA

View Full Version : rings and bases

pearson1662
03-15-2008, 08:41 AM
I have owned a Savage 110FP (without accutrigger) for a few years that has served it's intended purpose well enough but the Simmons scope that came with it is in need of replacement. I have a Bushnell Trophy 3x9x40 that I'm intending to put on it and I'm thinking of replacing the rings and bases that came with the gun when new. They are the vertical split type. I will also be putting a scope light on the scope if that matters at all.

I would like to eliminate (as much as possible and within my budget) the possiblilty that my scope mounting may contribute to poor accuracy. My shooting skills are poor enough as it is.

Cabelas recommends a one piece base but I have read:roll: some things that make me wonder if that is necessarily the best or not.

Midsouth sells some two piece Millet bases and rings that intrigue me. I have read some good reviews of Millet products and they wouldn't break my bank.

I have the ring lapping kit from Wheeler Engineering if that makes any difference. I also have ordered Cabelas boresighter reticle leveler combo. (I only buy from Cabelas when using Cabelas Visa Club points because I can usually find stuff cheaper elsewhere but no one else has a credit card that accumulates credit toward reloading stuff:(.)

I have been so impressed with the quality of the information that I have read on this site that I would like to know what the opinions are here.

TIA,

Jay

Wicky
03-16-2008, 06:47 PM
I think one or two peice bases are a personal choice. You will read pros and cons for each where ever you go. I have both types on my firearms and they all work well. I have a set of Millet bases and rings and have installed them on other firearms and they seem to be satisfactory. If you are on a budget and these are cheap enough get a set I am sure you will find them OK.:mrgreen:
I have used a lapping tool and if nothing else they are extremely handy for aligning your scope rings and that will stop any misalignment damaging your scope tube.
The best advice to mounting the scope is to make sure all your screws are snugged down tight and put a bit of loctite on each after degreasing the screw and the hole. I use loctite 222 which is the lower end of the locking scale but even with harder recoiling rifles I have not had mounts come loose.
When you bore sight make sure the firearm is held firmly so it can't move and is level. I use an MTM cleaning station with a couple of pound of lead in the bottom - works for me!
Hope this helps. I am sure there are much smarter people than me on this forum that can also give you advice.:-D

Frank46
03-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Jay, you might want to look at Burris z-rings with the synthetic inserts and weaver steel grand slam bases. I mention the z-rings as they don't mark the scope body and these are the same rings and bases I have on my savage 110fp in 308 win. I became a believer after taking a buddy's scope of his ruger/with ruger rings. Seems the rings had ledges at the outside of each ring he had. When tightened down it left deep score marks on the scope. Had to lap the rings for him and that did take some time.
But really became a believer when I bought my sako 75 in 30-06. When you bought the rifle sako had a promotional thing where you got the rings for free. Got medium rings with synthetic inserts from sako. Best shooting factory 30-06 I ever have. The ring and base combination on the savage will cost a few extra bucks as the grand slam bases cost more than standard aluminum weaver bases, but for me they are worth the money. Frank

pearson1662
03-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Thank you for your for your help. I appreciate it.

Jay

ForneyRider
05-06-2008, 03:40 PM
I went with the Burris quick release Z ring (Weaver style) and Burris Fulfield II 4.5-14x42. Very happy and no slippage. I put it on myself, but no lapping of the rings. I had a Tasco 3x9 before with Tasco rings.

My gunsmith didn't recommend the Burris inserts, just some tape. I used the stickers that came with the Burris pieces.