PDA

View Full Version : Used or New Opinions

bouncer50
05-02-2015, 11:40 AM
I would say 90 percent of the guns i have bought have been used. I like older made ones from the 1900 to the 1970s. Nothing in my opinion beat a older Colt or S&W and Rugers. Most people do not reload so many of the used guns are in great shape. I like a great deal on a used one instead of new one. I found a few people who sold me there gun what they paid for it 20-30 years ago great deals in today money. In some gun shop i found a few old S&W and Colt wheel guns with only between 50 to 75 percent bluing left for a 100 bucks each. I don"t care really about what finish left. as long it has Good lock-up good barrel i want just a good shooter some thing i can leave in my car. Used but not abused.:wink:

Garyshome
05-02-2015, 11:41 AM
Old stuff is better then New stuff!

Zim
05-02-2015, 11:46 AM
Yes, a lot of non shooters dump Dad's or Grampa's treasures for a little bit of money. I've found some gems in shops especially if the "gun expert" wasn't. I love ugly guns. Especially if they are mechanically new.

the older stuff is easy to work on. The new stuff is engineered to prevent tinkering. What a shame. Like the cars that could be worked on without $10,000 of specialty tools and schooling. C'est la vie.

rintinglen
05-02-2015, 03:35 PM
Used Rules! Unlike the car "that was only driven on Sundays to church by a little old lady," many used gun really are barely used. I have two 44 Magnums that were purchased used. Neither had been shot much. It is not to uncommon for some wanabe mighty hunter type to purchase "the most powerful gun in the world" only to find that with great power comes great recoil. Deer rifles abound that have seen less than a dozen boxes of cartridges go down the tube. About the only guns that may have been extensively shot are shotguns. Those bucko's do tend run a fair few rounds down the bore. The guns still look nice, though, often as not.

Some of the best deals out there have been police guns that were traded in. I have seen guns with pristine bores and chambers that were tight as drums go for a pittance due to holster wear or beat up stocks. I have probably owned a dozen police trade in's over the years, maybe a couple more that I've forgotten, and currently have at least 4. Quality guns and low prices--what's not to like. True, there are some dogs out there, but a little care in inspection and some familiarity with the gun being checked, those can usually be avoided. I would never pass on a used gun simply because it was used. That's where the values lie.

JSnover
05-02-2015, 03:56 PM
Used is fine by me. I'm only gonna use it some more and won't have to worry about putting the first shiny spots on it.

Outpost75
05-02-2015, 04:32 PM
An old gun that works beats a new gun that doesn't.

pworley1
05-02-2015, 08:23 PM
The majority of my rifles are over 100 years old. A well cared for rifle is like the land, you don't really own it you only have the privilege of caring for it for a while.

Artful
05-02-2015, 10:20 PM
I can count on my fnigers the NEW rifles I have purchased, More apt to get a new handgun but love the used ones there as well.

scaevola
05-03-2015, 12:18 AM
I, too, prefer used over new. I occasionally buy a new one but prefer to find an interesting deal on an older one.

leftiye
05-03-2015, 06:21 AM
New opinions aren't to be trusted:kidding: I don't even pay attention to what is new anymore.

Cmm_3940
05-03-2015, 07:13 AM
Not counting the ones I built, I own one rifle, and one shotgun that were purchased new, and even those two aren't still factory original. (I'm a compulsive upgrader). I do have several pistols I bought new, though.

-Chris

bcp477
05-03-2015, 07:37 AM
Another vote for used. I always prefer a good older gun over a new one. Happens that all of the guns I really like are older designs, anyway, so that works out nicely.

Fishman
05-03-2015, 07:59 AM
It takes some time for a gun to develop a personality. Used guns already come with one, for better or for worse. I like to buy used guns.

Nicholas
05-03-2015, 10:07 AM
Hey, I bought some guns new when I started pursuing that interest and had some money I should have used for other needs. Now those guns are old and used and still some of my favorites. How about buying a brand new Marlin 336T at a hardware store for $75? Or a low number TC contender for a similar amount. Certainly some of the new guns marketed today will be desirable 40 years from now.

Petrol & Powder
05-03-2015, 10:21 AM
The vast majority of my guns were used before I acquired them. As a prior poster said "Used Rules!".
On the rare occasions that I've purchased a new gun it was to acquire something unique I couldn't find on the used market.
Firearms are tools and some of those tools were used but well cared for and some were just used. Part of the fun of buying used guns is the search or that well cared for model.

375supermag
05-03-2015, 10:55 AM
Hi...

I buy both new and used...depends on the deal.

Careful inspection is the rule when buying used firearms. I carry a bore light with me anytime there is a chance that I might buy a firearm.
The last few years it seems there are fewer and fewer used revolvers for sale at gunshops that aren't priced as if they were brand new regardless of condition.

Speaking of which, I haven't bought a revolver for about a year(Dan Wesson .22LR revolver)...the last couple handguns were autoloaders (a new Beretta M9 for my son and a new S&W MP40 for me) and the last couple of long guns were both shotguns ( a new Mossberg 12ga autoloader for my son and a used Ithaca M37 12Ga for myself). I feel the need for a new to me revolver...a Uberti Cattleman in .45Colt would go a long way toward scratching that itch, brass grip and case-colored frame sounds about right.

Silver Jack Hammer
05-03-2015, 10:59 AM
New whenever possible, but some guns I want aren't available new so you have to buy used.

Here's a story, I've got many Colt's SAA's. My all time favorite one (right now) I bought used only because the price was so good I couldn't pass it up. There is some minor pitting on the side of the frame which doesn't affect anything but looks. The sights are 2 1/2" off to the left at 25 yards but filed to elevation perfectly. The deposit is down at the 'smith to zero the sights, just waiting for a call to bring it in.

The thing that makes this Colt's my favorite is the trigger. When dry firing I can't tell the difference between my Colt's but when shooting this one is by far my favorite because the trigger is so nice. And I only bought it because I couldn't pass up the price.

Mauser48
05-06-2015, 09:33 PM
I dont mind used guns especially stuff that isn't made anymore or military rifles. Some stuff I like to buy new though. For instance I just bought a new gp100 for 650. If I bought a used one between ffl transfer and everything I wouldn't have saved any ore than 100 max.

garym1a2
05-07-2015, 03:32 PM
Don't buy a used gun from a competition shooter or an advid reloader. These tend to be shot too much.

rking22
05-07-2015, 05:16 PM
I haven't bought a new handgun since getting my GP100. It's a 170 series within the first 25,000 made, been a while! There are very few new guns that interest me. I am watching for a used SW M69, not worth 800$ to me but 500$ works(I missed one for that ammount!). I don't do plastic (don't care what they call it) and if it doesn't have a wood handle of some sort, I'll most likely pass. They were made better back when, and I am comfortable evaluating a used gun. I like the "well loved" too, most of my recent purchases are older than me :)

Art in Colorado
05-07-2015, 08:51 PM
Almost all of my guns are used. Have a very good gun store that consigns a bunch. Just picked up a 44 Special Ruger Bisley Flat Top for $450.00. I am not too sure if it was ever shot. Front of cylinder had no carbon rings and the inside of the frame still had that brownish grease that Ruger ships them with. I was very happy with this one.

tryNto
05-08-2015, 01:08 AM
Have purchased both options and not ever been disapointed with either.

Geraldo
05-08-2015, 07:52 AM
Until recently I didn't know there were people who have issues with used guns. A friend revealed his reluctance to buy used last week. I thought he was joking, but he was serious. The good news is that I know he won't be trying to horn in on all the cool used stuff I find in gun shops. :D

kungfustyle
05-08-2015, 08:42 AM
I do like used, especially military stuff that still shoots well. It's going to outlast me. But as far as the used rifles and pistols, its hard to find a deal. Most want what it costs to buy new. Now I'm not talking about a JM Marlin, worth the price over what is produced today. Gun shows are a joke and local dealers are about as bad as a used Yugo(the car not the rifles) dealer. I love the quote "I don't mind you making money, I'm just not paying for your Hawaiian vacation."
I was looking for a 223 bolt for target shooting and couldn't find one for $400 or less used. I ordered a TC Venture. Had 1" groups with base line hand loads and found a keeper. Do your homework, some of the new stuff is fantastic. Unless you want to sit and wait for the Deal of the Century that may or may not happen. Things might be different in your state. But down in Florida, buy shop around and order new.