PDA

View Full Version : Weaver has discontinued the Super Slam line

JDHasty
05-02-2015, 01:54 AM
I own four of them and if they show up DEEPLY discounted, like the TR 2 line from Weaver did, BUY THEM. My favorite varmint scope used to be the 6.5-20 Leupold. Not any more. The 4-20 Super Slam has it all over them if you don't take weight into consideration.

I bought a few TR-2 Nitrex scopes by Weaver when Natches had them on closeout and that is what turned me on to the Super Slam line. Today, I would trade a Leupold 6.5 - 20 straight up for a 4-20 Nitrex or a Super Slam. They are that good.

Absolutely spectacular optics and tracking that is second to none. What I am saying is pay attention to Natches flyer and buy Super Slams if they show up deeply discounted.

What you give up is the ability to have the reticle changed out though. What you buy is what you will die with. There is NO retrofitting, so make certain what you order is what is going to suit you.

Just a heads up.

Artful
05-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up - I'll keep an eye out

Huffmanite
05-05-2015, 08:07 AM
Received the monthly Natchez catalog yesterday and noticed they had the Weaver Super Slams on closeout at reduced prices. Like JDHasty, first bought a couple of Nitrex TR2 and because of their quality, would later buy the same scope under the Weaver Super Slam brand. Two are the 4-20x50. By far, they are my best scopes and agree with Hasty about their optics and tracking. Shoot with another retired gent at range we are members and he owns quite a variety of pricey brand scopes. He too, bought a Nitrex TR2 4-20x50 when Natchez had them. He considers it one of his better scopes. A couple of times, he's tried to buy my Nitrex and my answer has been NO. As mentioned, Nitrex TR2 and Weaver Super Slams are the same scope......made by Light Optics Works (AKA LOW) in Japan. LOW also makes the higher end scopes for Bushnell, Sightron and a couple of others that I can't remember just now.

About the only complaint I can think of reading and experiencing with the larger Super Slams is about their weight. Lets describe the internals of a Super Slam as being built like a tank. Its not a scope you'd want to put on a light weight carry rifle. Oh yea, nearly forgot, its not a long body scope. First one I bought, intended on putting it on a Savage long action rifle. Would have needed extension rings and etc. to have intstalled it.

LIMPINGJ
05-11-2015, 11:28 AM
Looking at the specs the 30mm and the 1" tubes look the same. Does the 30mm have any advantage over the 1" that you can speak to?

Huffmanite
05-11-2015, 02:43 PM
Basically, with the 30mm tube you should have more elevation adjustment than with a 1" tube, therefore a 30mm tube scope should be better for longer distance shooting. Also, a larger tube should provide more light and etc. Have a Ruger tang safety rifle in 7x57 with a 4-20x50 super slam on it. I have enough elevation adjustment to shoot 600 yd targets with it. Never tried to adjust elevation for any further distances.

LIMPINGJ
05-14-2015, 12:26 PM
I am thinking on the 4-20 to mount for load development then move to something smaller for hunting. I just hope Weaver's plex reticle is going to be fine enough for this.

Huffmanite
05-16-2015, 09:33 PM
By plex, you mean the dual-X reticle? If so, I consider it on the fine side.....have no problems with it and my paper shooting.