PDA

View Full Version : Pretty decent year for rockchucks in central Washington

JDHasty
05-02-2015, 01:27 AM
I have made a couple trips to central WA and the cucks are going pretty strong. My first trip was three weeks ago and there had already been people shooting for three weeks in one area that I have shot off and on for forty years.

That ain't cool. That ain't one bit cool. These knotheads were shooting pregnant and nursing chucks.... which the alfalfa farmers like, but it makes for some lean times to come in the coming season and actually for years to follow. I like to shoot chucks as well as anybody, but these "sooners" are a menace.

They are a menace to themselves more than anybody and until I helped them out this wasn't really a problem because they couldn't hit anything more than 200 yards out. Today they are getting good enough that what they have accomplished is to shoot themselves out of any sport for a few years or more. Sucks to be them, I have other places I shoot but they don't. In five years when the chuck population recovers I will be back and they will probably have sold their kit.

This has happened in this coulee before and I explained sportsmanship and the value of waiting until at least mid to late April AND then only shoot the smaller chucks until late April in order not to do what they have accomplished.

Have some patience and then share the bounty. But... some people's kids! That's the thanks I get for trying to help out newbys. And these "kids" were in their forties. Oh well. I shot that coulee for two days and got a half dozen with the 243 and another three or four with the hornet that weekend. Not bad for a guy who just likes to get out in the field and I had an elderly friend along to do the spotting who is about half blind. It was just good to get out!

Here is a hint for you guys who are new to the sport: I have been actively evaluating who I could trust to go on shoots with me. I have lots of areas to shoot and what you did didn't hurt me one bit. What it did was make it a certainty that you will not be given the opportunity to wipe out another colony.

This last weekend we went east again and tried a couple other coulees (that are much less likely to be found by Johnny come lately shooters) and Saturday it was cold and drizzling a bit.

Saturdays shoot was at a location I had not shot in twenty years, but last August I was out tooling around with my five year-old daughter in my Polaris Ranger and we spotted a guy towing a flatbed loaded with Heston one-ton bales of what looked like damn nice alfalfa. Export grade alfalfa, which sells for $600-$800/ton. It really helps when your cousins are ranchers and you can honestly complement a man on the quality of his alfalfa.

These central Washington farms produce the best alfalfa in the entire world and much of it is pelleted in Ellensburg, loaded on a train and shipped to Japan for Kobe beef production. Steaks sell for north of a buck a pound so if anybody doubts the $600-$800 number on their feed, do the math on that! Did I say central Washington produces the best alfalfa in the world? "Only the best" for market steers that are worth well over five grand each in the Japanese butchers showcases.

But I diverge. I turned around and ran this gent down and he said: funny you should ask.... Long story short, it was August and he said they have gone down for the summer. I said they will be up for a couple weeks again next month, actually they feed at night through the dog days of summer and then are out again for a few weeks in late September - but I have too many other things going on in September to shoot chucks then. Give me your phone number and I will see you in late April.

OK, here is why I haven't shot in that coulee in a couple decades: Mom now owns the ranch I used to shoot on and controls who shoots the hay meadows. The son works a "regular job" Monday through Friday and his kids like to shoot the chucks on that property. Mom likes me and would show me the green flag, but it is not right to shoot chucks that his kids like to shoot. Unless and until the kids are not keeping the population to what HE sees as an acceptable level, I am not going to take candy from babies. I still stop in for visits with mom, but unless the man who is working the ranch says he needs my intervention... I have NO business shooting chucks there. And that has not happened in the last two decades.

Jump ahead to two weeks ago. I called a week ahead and my new contact said: they are out in force and nobody is shooting our hay meadows anymore.

We met again Saturday morning and he told me where to find them and then turned the keys to his Polaris Ranger over to me to use to transport my kit into the hay meadows in. My Polaris was stolen last fall.

We set up two shooting tables about a buck fifty from one end of a three hundred-fifty yard long line of rocks with one table set up so that I could shoot my 243 at the far end of the line of rocks and the other two set up so my buddy could shoot his AR at anything closer than two bucks. This was the same elderly gent and if he was able to land a shot within 18 inches of a chuck it was just luck. He has diabetes and can't see well enough to hit the ground between his feet, but he still likes to get out of the house and make the trip.

OK, OK. Cut to the chase! I turn my emptys up when I have a confirmed kill because those chucks went up to the big hay meadow in the sky and when I opened my Case Guards and counted the ones pointing skyward tonight there were 17 confirmed kills made with the 243. Not bad for three hours shooting before it started to rain and the pivot had moved in front of the most populated section of the rock wall.

However I had a Harris S bipod on my CZ 527 American 22 Hornet and when I did the math tonight I confirmed killed another 20 with my Hornet shooting at close ones (less than two hundred). 37 chucks in three hours is pretty decent chuck shooting, I don't care where you are. Again, I had an eighty-year old diabetic along and we called it a day when it started to drizzle. He was "played out."

So that was Saturday, and I will visit that ranch again in two weeks if Mrs JDHasty drops the green flag. But since Mrs JDHasty is due to deliver another little bambino on the 21st... that is a 50/50 proposition. If I go, I am going alone and that, my friends, is why JDHasty is wrecklessly eyeballing a 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet. I want to be able to see bullet hits and call my own shots. I have had it with trying to locate a reliable shooting partner who pays his fair share of EVERYTHING. The 527 American in 22 Hornet jumps off target unless I turn my 4-20 Super Slam scope down to ~ 12 power before tickling the set trigger on the CZ I cannot see where my bullet hits and confirm my own kills reliably.

OK Sunday. We went to another coulee two hundred miles south. Did I mention I take my chuck hunting seriously? FYI, I don't always shoot in coulees but this weekend I wanted to check out one of my favorite talus slopes to shoot with my Hornet.

Last year this slope was a great big goose egg and when I hiked up to the base of the slope I saw why. Bobcat tracks were everywhere. That cat had moved in and ambushed chucks as they returned home from feeding.

Since I was not able to kill the responsible party during the legal cat season, for various reasons, I turned a bobcat hunting fool I know onto this opportunity. If I did not trust him to consider this as "my hunting spot" and act accordingly in future years that would not have happened. This gent understands "the rules." No poaching my rockchucks and no hunting my predator hunting area unless you get a personal invite from me. And absolutely NO sharing of information regarding the upland hunting, chuck shooting or predator calling to be had on that ranch. Period. End of story.

He stretched the hides of three bobcats and seven dogs he took there this January. AND... well and I pulled up and spotted three chucks in the field of view of my 8X42 binocular Sunday morning. "Game on." So I set up the tables and shot the hornet at ranges of 150 to 265 yards and shot for four hours and bagged two dozen chucks.

Not bad. A shot every ten minutes. This time I had to get home to Tacoma or I could have kept shooting at that rate all day.

This weekend I am busy with my six year-old's garden. Next Saturday a buddy and are going to wake up right next to a marijuana farm (Washington State) that used to be a hay meadow. According to the owner that chucks are eating them out of half of the profit they still make from growing alfalfa. The property is so tightly controlled now that he doesn't trust anybody and when we called a couple days ago to get the low down he was so thrilled we are coming that words cannot describe.

This is a "rimfire" area due to neighbors being so close (stupid wineries owned by doctors, lawyers and indian chiefs from Seattle) and any noise will kick them into action. It has been that way for a long time and we have respected that and shoot an Anshutz 22 mag and a 10/22 on that property. Shots are about a buck to two hundred yards and the chucks den on a ridge across a gully from the fields they feed in. They come out on the ridge and sun themselves before they head across and when we are there very few of them get to enjoy a last meal.

Last year we bagged a hundred in two days and a peacock. From what we are hearing last year was nothing compared to what we will see this year.

Lead Fred
05-02-2015, 02:30 AM
We kept them at bay in the 60s and 70s, its now someone else's battle now

pworley1
05-02-2015, 09:12 PM
We don't have rockchucks here, but we have hogs that multiply about as fast.

runfiverun
05-03-2015, 12:02 AM
we have rock chucks here but not even close to those numbers.
I got 6 in one day last week off two different spots I have been watching for a few years now.
that is by far the best day I have ever had.
I generally pull off @2 a day on a good day and I'm happy with that amount.

I have a couple of spots that the ground squirrels are starting to get good numbers built up again so i'll have to make a day or two out of them.
one of the places means using a pellet rifle [and i'll use open sights] but that just makes it more fun.

JDHasty
05-03-2015, 03:19 PM
Head west my friend. Twenty-five years ago I used to shoot a lot in the SW corner of Idaho and east of Boise and shot them by the dozens/day. I hear they are still going strong around Bliss. Some year I want to try my luck in the Bliss Rock Chuck Derby.

runfiverun
05-03-2015, 06:58 PM
I might just have to head over that way.
we have a couple of real good spots here but they are right between the freeway and the frontage roads.
it's easier to run them over than try to shoot them :lol:

JDHasty
05-10-2015, 01:47 AM
Just back in from a power run to central WA. Probably my last hurrah for this year. Left Renton at 2:00 yesterday and was home in Tacoma by six today.

The next little Hasty bambino is due in about two weeks and I had better stick close to home or my reputation will be even worse than it is today. Actually Mrs JDH is fine with me doing my thing, it is the peanut gallery that make all the snide comments.

I did all my shooting w/my old faithful Savage Anshutz 164M sporter in 22 Magnum (actually I only took the one rifle) that is starting to lose it's gilt edge accuracy... or maybe I should try cleaning it a bit more often (I think I cleaned it a few years ago).

I am willing to give up a little accuracy, but I am not willing to give up any trigger and it has an Anschutz trigger in it. Enough said. About a third of my shooting was offhand this weekend. When shooting offhand the trigger is what the final score is all about!

My buddy was shooting a 10/22.

I am going to make a confession. My Anshutz has a 2-7 Compact Leupold on it that had a single elevation target knob fitted to it twenty-five years ago. It has had that scope on it for twenty-five years and it is a "sexy" little unit. I have a half-dozen 3-9 Nitrex scopes w/hash marks for elevation and MUCH wider field of view - and they would be a better scope for my purpose. But that rifle and scope complement each other so well that I just cannot get over how well they go together every time I take it out of the safe. And it works "well enough."

We rolled in ~6:00 PM last night and got ~ 2 hours of shooting. Got well north of 50 chucks including a monster that I hiked into a ravine this morning to fetch up for a photo. I am still kicking myself, I have wanted to get a monster chuck taxidermied and should have iced this one down for the trip home. He is well above twenty pounds and had only minor damage to his beautiful hide. A beauty in anyone's book.

But I have a really nice blacktail at the taxidermist right now and I don't work for peanuts - good taxidermists don't work cheap either. Nor should they. If I wasn't already paying down the bill for the buck, it would have been an easy call to add this chuck to his todo list.

Yep, still kicking myself, I ate a seven pound Snake River smallmouth years ago because I said: I will catch another one tomorrow, and that was thirty-five years ago... And I still don't have a really nice smallmouth mount!!!

Twenty plus pound rock chuck??? OK, pictures or I am just jerking your chain. OK, tell me how to post them and they will be forthcoming.

Absolutely beautiful scenery too, and I did take some photos, but ya' all ain't getting anything to narrow down where I was shooting by - except I will tell you we were west of the Cascades, north of Umatilla, East of Lewiston and south of Oroville.

Best of luck getting any thing more outa me suckas!

We went into, oops I almost gave it away, for a great Mexican dinner Friday night and then slept in the back of the truck under the canopy. I have a Truck Bedz Expedition Series and they get mixed reviews, not from me. Mine stays inflated all night and we slept like a baby from 10:00 until 07:00 next to where we were shooting. http://www.truck-bedz.com/

This morning I shot into the ravine I got the big one in, and my buddy set up in the alfalfa and shot a bank about a quarter mile away (he was shooting a long rifle at about 65-85 yards).

Normally I won't shoot with a guy who wants to shoot LR at rockchucks, but this guy is deadly as long as shots are <100 yards). We shot until about noon today and racked up another 65 or so between us with him getting 75% of them.

Now here is what is wild: I saw another chuck that was 25% bigger than the one in the photos I will post! No flippin' kidding, he was with more large bucks and as soon as I peaked over this morning he was gone.... That fast. Easily 25% bigger!

The chucks were wild as March hares and definitely had been being shot at (a lot) this spring. So how do I know he was 25% bigger than the one in the photo? I shot eleven rounds there and killed seven more big bucks that were just a tad smaller than the one on the photos I will post. This one that took off as soon as I peaked over was EASILY 25% longer than the rest and much wider as well.

Now I am guessing that the one in the photo goes close to 25 lbs (I'm going to get a Zebco fish scale and carry it with), you take a look after I post the photos and I am telling you it weighed more than a decent coyote and I have packed a lot of coyotes.

I hauled him out by his tail via the scenic route, there is no way I could climb back out with him. I had to go the long way around. He weighed north of 20 lbs if he weighed a pound and that was the impression I got as soon as I picked him up, not after packing him a mile.

As an aside: My shots were from ~85 yards to just south of two bucks. I shot the Anschutz at ~85 yards at an old appliance this morning and put three into ~3/4 inch. Winchester Super-X 40 gr JHP is all I shoot.

The chuck in the photo was shot off hand. Did I say I will give up some accuracy, but I will not give up any trigger? No way, no how. A rifle is only as good as it's trigger. The seven other big males were shot off my Harris S bipod or my knee @~ 85 yards, from behind a dead tree with lots of branches that I was using to break up my silhouette. I had to shoot between the branches or under them.

These big male chucks were really really wild? If they saw so much as the top of my hat they were gone - not to come back up. The four extra shots were a result of wounding one by hitting him too far back and then taking running shots as he climbed up the far wall. That one climbed 45 yards in about three seconds and I hit him pretty hard with every shot until he was really sick and then gave the coup de' gras instead of letting him expire in his own time. I hate it when that happens! I don't like wasting ammo, but anyone who will let game suffer is not a friend of mine.

JDHasty
05-10-2015, 01:49 AM

JDHasty
05-10-2015, 09:22 AM

Photo of the tree I was using as a screen w/rocks behind ~ 85 yards out. I wanted a photo of where I was shooting to, but the chucks were coming up right behind the trunk of the tree. The sun was at my back when I took the photo and I could not see the screen on the camera.

I was shooting through the gaps in the branches and under the left side of the trunk.

JDHasty
05-10-2015, 09:26 AM

This is a monster chuck on the right beside a normal size young chuck ~2-1/2 to 3 lbs on the left.

MT Gianni
05-15-2015, 09:54 PM
we have rock chucks here but not even close to those numbers.
I got 6 in one day last week off two different spots I have been watching for a few years now.
that is by far the best day I have ever had.
I generally pull off @2 a day on a good day and I'm happy with that amount.

I have a couple of spots that the ground squirrels are starting to get good numbers built up again so i'll have to make a day or two out of them.
one of the places means using a pellet rifle [and i'll use open sights] but that just makes it more fun.
When I lived in Grace I saw pictures of when the Indians would come off the res and camp south of Niter. They would set up tepees in the late 1940's and early 50's and shoot them with bows, 22 or what have you. Snares were also used and they ate them as the first fat meat of the year.

JKH
05-18-2015, 11:04 PM
we dont have as many here in Western NY but I can tell ya, I have shot some that easily tipped the scale at 30+ pounds. We dont have as many people hunting them anymore and the coyote population is living off our abundant whitetail deer population, we do get some big coyotes here, they breed with wild dogs and have been caught /shot that weigh upwards of 85 pounds. We do have a lot of red fox going after chucks but their population goes on a cycle much like rabbits so some years you see very few. Most of our chucks are in hay fields and cow pastures with lots of activity, they are very wiley and will stay holed for a long time after a shot, takes a lot of patience and time to hunt them.

CHeatermk3
05-26-2015, 11:55 PM
"... except I will tell you we were west of the Cascades, north of Umatilla, East of Lewiston and south of Oroville."

Really? I think I know the place you're talkin' about...The river behind you in the photo you posted gave it away!!!

runfiverun
05-29-2015, 11:22 AM
some of the old-timers will still tell story's of the Indians coming through each year on their chuck-harvest.
they say they would cook them whole with the fur on and they taste something like roast beef.

I have been chasing a big orange male for the last 2 years, when I first seen him I thought he was a fox out on the edge of a wheat field, then he jiggled into the rocks like a shot of flowing carpet.

I think he knows my truck by sight and sound and waiting him out at 300 yds is almost futile, I think he has a periscope.

and I know what you mean on the small-mouths I caught a couple of large females two weeks back and thought about getting one mounted then threw them both back figuring that at the pace they grow [where I caught them] they were probably the biggest ones in the whole lake.