PDA

View Full Version : Ideas requested: What case prep or other tool can i make with this?

michiganmike
05-01-2015, 08:37 PM
First, this may not be the right forum. But I could not find one that fits. So, here we go!

Earlier this year a little Ryobi band saw I received for Christmas stopped working. A part broke and they no longer carry parts for the thing.

I salvaged the motor, 120 V. It is 7" long, 4 3/8" in diameter and has a sturdy mounting plate with the two holes being 7" apart, center to center. It has a switch. There is no label on the motor, but it is fairly slow rpm. The shaft is 1/2"

There must be something I can make with this motor that would make my reloading easier, quicker, etc. I was thinking maybe of some sort of case prep station. But that is as far as my creative juices have taken me.

Since I have seen some very nice tools of various sorts made by other forum members, I am hoping you may have some good ideas. I found a picture of the same motor on EBay. I am not a mechanic, but grew up on a farm and worked on farm machinery as a boy, and did minor work on my cars when I was younger. Nor am I a machinist. I have a lot of hand tools, as well as a good drill press. That is the extent of my tools.

What do you think?:Bright idea:

gpidaho
05-01-2015, 08:55 PM
Case tumbler comes to mind, Might require a reduction gear to reduce shaft speed. GP

Wayne Smith
05-01-2015, 09:22 PM
Humm, I'm waiting for ideas too. I have the motor off an old Chicago Electric jig saw and a 1/4hp motor attached to nothing at the moment.

Yodogsandman
05-01-2015, 09:41 PM
How about an automated gas check maker?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?271096-Automated-my-Freechex-III

mongoose33
05-01-2015, 10:12 PM
Case tumbler comes to mind, Might require a reduction gear to reduce shaft speed. GP

That was my first thought. Might also use a large o-ring as a belt, and connect it to a spinning case prep tool like a deburring tool or chamfering tool.

runfiverun
05-01-2015, 10:20 PM
the belt is how the others work.
4" O-ring works just fine.
you need the grooved wheel for your end and a bigger grooved wheel for the other end.
attach the big wheel to a shaft and set another shaft about 7" away [depending on the size of your drum] put them both on bearings.
give the shaft a rubber cover to grip and spin your tank.