PDA

View Full Version : 32-40 shows some leg at the range (actually, a Lūb Star)

ohland
05-01-2015, 03:07 PM
Old retrobate staggered back on Thursday from pursuing the e-vile Tur-Kay (one less running about). Today, he gleefully grabbed the ice cream bucket with the rejects and ran downstairs to size, Lūb, and load his 32-40. I told him I culled them because of wrinkles and drive band imperfections, but since he doesn't see -OR- hear too good, he took off.

Anyways, I went down to the range to observe.

50 yards, 321297 GC, sized to .323, 14.4 grains of 4227. Old retrobate used 14 grains last time, and he went the wrong way on the charge. Bullet on lower right is a puzzle. Old timer said the case was tight on the bullet outside of black at 3 o'clock.

This is the hot, steamy picture you want to see...
This is the Lūb Star AFTER the old retrobate recut the crown with the PTG muzzle crown tool, zee-ro degrees, 1" diameter. You can see the faint line of the liner and look at that Lūb Star! Not as distinct as the 7-30, BUT this is a 30" barrel.

OR will probably load up some more 32-40s, and this time he will (better!) use the ones I selected. Some challenge with the Low-Wall rolling in the front rest. I did not see the half-moon near the case mouth, nor markings from the start of the bore. OR said these cases were shorter.

:popcorn:

pworley1
05-01-2015, 10:24 PM
Very nice.