PDA

View Full Version : Back to the roots of reloading

rmatchell
05-01-2015, 02:50 PM
Thought I would start this thread just for fun. Stories about the vintage equipment you might have started out with or even still use. I keep finding myself looking for information on the roots of reloading back before it was really a hobby but needed to supply what was either not available of couldn't afford.

I have a handful of Ideal molds that I wouldnt trade for anything. My favorite is 323470 and 323471 combo mold. Drops a perfect boolit on the second casting even when im impatient to wait to warm it up.

As for presses, my wife and a member on here got together and gifted me a tru line jr and 310 handles with a few dies that I could use. Yes they are slower that using the progressive but I always enjoy my time using them.

376Steyr
05-01-2015, 03:18 PM
Get a copy of "Complete Guide to Handloading" by Philip B. Sharpe. It was first published in 1937, and is a fascinating look back at the days when handloading was an exotic art, practiced only by a few.

texassako
05-01-2015, 03:25 PM
I have 310 dies and their caliber marked handles for my old Remington Model 8 autoloaders. It is fun to break them out on occasion and load some up.

lobogunleather
05-01-2015, 03:44 PM
My first experience with reloading came with an uncle patiently working his Lyman 310 tong tool while watching TV, putting together a box of .30-06 for the coming hunting season.

I started out with the Lee Loader and owned several. Caught a great deal on a RCBS Rock Chucker press, used, and never looked back. Now I have 3 presses, 2 powder measures, powder scale, lubricator-sizer machine, dozens of die sets and at least 20 bullet molds. Nearly everything is 30 years old or more, so well experienced.

Any time I acquire a firearm in a new caliber I immediately order dies and a bullet mold. Can't imagine not having the ability to reload ammo for anything I shoot other than .22 rimfire.

tazman
05-01-2015, 04:39 PM
I started reloading with a Lee whack a mole for a 222 rifle I had just purchased. That thing produced ammo that shot really well.
I later picked up a couple of presses and other accessories some of which I still have. Most of the equipment I have now is recently purchased.
At one point, I needed money more than I needed a bunch of guns. Life happens, and wives can be expensive. I prefer not to be without either of them.

MT Chambers
05-01-2015, 06:00 PM
I never liked the idea of hammering on my reloads but the 310 tool is never far away, even in these days of progressives, Co-axs, etc.

blikseme300
05-01-2015, 07:59 PM
Being born too late for the golden era of hand loading I was sucked into the mass production of reloaded ammo. Rounds per hour was the holy grail but as I have (maybe) mellowed I came to discover the joy of slowly getting things done. Now that the rush is no longer the goal I have found that the satisfaction of a small number of rounds well done while accurate/consistent ammo trumps volume. The progressive presses are dusty while the single stage presses are shiny.

country gent
05-01-2015, 08:10 PM
I started with the lee loader mallet tool using an old bottle capper instead of a hammer ( Dad got tired of hearing the banging of the hammer ) I made alot of .222 remington ammo with it. I also have had some homemade set ups and I still use 2 old belding and mull powder measures. My rock chucker was probably new in the early 70s or so and still going strong, Its now mounted hrizontal for sizing bullets. I made a small ahrbor press at work to replace the bottle capper. I still have alot of the old handtools and occasionally use them.

pworley1
05-01-2015, 08:30 PM
I started about 1970 casting round balls for a 36 navy revolver. I soon moved on to a lyman press and 38/357 dies with a 358311 mold. I still have and use those even though several more presses and molds and dies sets have been added.

rbt50
05-01-2015, 08:47 PM
I started reloading back in the early 60;s . some one have me 2 lee reloading kits. they were the one's you use a hammer to load one at a time. one for 30-30 and one for 16 ga shotgun. at that time I had three gun's a 22 rifle a 30-30 and 16 g shot gun. after spilling shot all over the floor in my bed room my mother made me reload in the old chicken house in the back yard. I guess those were the good old days.

salpal48
05-01-2015, 08:49 PM
It was a warm day In 1963, my self and my father went shooting . living In new York above NYC . , the only pace my father new was Blue Trail, The Lyman Range. 2 hr's fron the house. went to the shop. . and there all the new Lyman equipment was There . all American. I asked the Guy behind The counter what they Were. . My father never Loaded but new. . . i asked my father That i would like to try that. . the Gentleman behind the counter spent about an hour or so giving me the basics . .. My father said he would by it. but would have to call the Factory and deliver it.. I spent most of the day playing with that AA . . finally it cam . . The man behind The counter was Walter Lyman. Been a Kyman man eversince. Still have that machine

LUBEDUDE
05-01-2015, 08:57 PM
Now THAT is one cool story Sal!

brstevns
05-01-2015, 10:06 PM
Started with the old lee loader in 7mm mauser for a model 93 mauser. Sorry to say don't have either anymore.

cajun shooter
05-07-2015, 09:50 AM
Gentleman, I hate to tell some of the newer members that posted about the early days being the 60's and 70's for reloading, that is very far from actual fact.
Most all rifles and pistols sold in the 18th and 19th centuries had ways to reload them at home or on the camp site. Most every gun owner had no where to purchase the needed powder, round balls or flints to keep his flintlock shooting. They made the powder, casted the balls from recovered lead from game killed and hunted for the flints in the woods. The later cartridge shooters were sold a loading tool along with that new Winchester, Sharps, Marlin and other brands of firearms. The tools had a single cavity mold and were able to use the fired brass to make a reloaded cartridge, just as we do today. They had many more reloaders then as far as gun ownership goes. This was in the 1860's- 1870's forward so the art of reloading goes back a little further than we have been on this piece of terra firma. What we do today is a hobby more or less. When a farmer was reloading a few 44wcf cartridges with his Ideal tool, he was providing nutrition, and safety for himself and his family.
When I first used my plastic headed hammer to hit the Lee Loader in 38 spl. on my living room floor in 1968, I was starting my present day hobby. Take care David

M-Tecs
05-07-2015, 10:09 AM
My dad's buddy had one of the original Frankford Arsenal Reloading Kits in 45/70. I got to load with it onces

http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/reloadingkits.html

.45-70 Reloading Set

This is the later .45-70 set, introduced in 1882/1883. The earlier .45-70 set was similar to the .50-70 one above. Unlike the earlier field reloading sets this one could reload all the .45 caliber rounds in use by the military at that time. This included the .45-55, .45-70, .45-80, and the .45 revolver. Some of the tools are marked as such, e.g. "C" for carbine, "REV" for revolver. The wood pine box is 15 1/4" long, 7 1/2" wide, and 5" tall. Total weight is a little over 10 pounds. The exact number made of this model is unknown (an estimate would be a few hundred) but it is the most often one encountered on the collectors market, though by no means can it be considered easy to find. As with the .50-70 set most all pieces are marked in some way.
The tools included in this set are; combination anvil, brush, adjustable powder measure, reloading and crimpimg die for rifle and carbine, reloading and crimping die for revolver, resizing die for rifle and carbine, resizing die for revolver, drift, powder funnel, oiler, priming tool with spindle and six pins, reloading punch for rifle, carbine, and revolver, resizing punch, shell scraper, wiping rod, and mallet. Photograph from John Gross.

1bluehorse
05-07-2015, 12:01 PM
Being born too late for the golden era of hand loading I was sucked into the mass production of reloaded ammo. Rounds per hour was the holy grail but as I have (maybe) mellowed I came to discover the joy of slowly getting things done. Now that the rush is no longer the goal I have found that the satisfaction of a small number of rounds well done while accurate/consistent ammo trumps volume. The progressive presses are dusty while the single stage presses are shiny.

Things sometimes APPEAR to look better when looking back...LOL.......NOW is the Golden era of handloading....better everything....guns, equipment, components....with maybe a very few exceptions....

W.R.Buchanan
05-07-2015, 05:18 PM
I started in 1971 when I bought my first centerfire gun, a Sako Forrester in .243. I was deftly afraid of Recoil and the Sako was the answer. This rifle was deadly accurate and would shoot anything I loaded in it thru the same holes in the target.

I still have the Lee Loader for that gun as well as all the cases I had and a bunch of 100 and 60gr bullets that were left over. That is one gun I really wish I had never sold. I paid $170 for the gun in 1971 and sold it in 1985 for $485. Now that guns sells at shows for $1500+.

Bought a S&W M29 in 1978 and immediately bought a Lee Loader for that and then I got a Lee Boolit mould small RCBS 5lb melting pot and ladle, and cast my first boolits over my gas stove in my apartment. Still have all that stuff too except for the gun. but I have other 44's to take it's place.

Later that year I decided to go into production as I was shooting the .243 and the 44 about 100 rounds each a week. I bought a Rock Chucker and dies and I was hooked.

Now I have so much equipment it is ridiculous, none of it does anything better than my Original Lee Loaders.

Faster maybe,,, but not better.

Randy

Markbo
05-07-2015, 05:36 PM
Faster is better. The older I get the less spare time I seem to have. Every extra moment seems precious and if I can knock out 400 i stead of 100, whether it be casting or loading, that IS better.