PDA

View Full Version : Spring loaded FL die?

texassako
05-01-2015, 12:02 PM
I have this odd 38 Special FL sizing die with no maker on it, just the stamp 38 SPL. SIZER. The body is a typical steel die sizer, but could someone explain why it has a spring loaded rod in it that slides up and down? Only thing I could think of is the rod is some kind of case guide or something for a progressive. It is not an expander, slip fit in a sized case, and no provision for a decapping pin.

Pressman
05-01-2015, 08:14 PM
Tex, you have a rare item there. Those were made by Herter's for a year or so in the late 60's. They were only in pistol calibers. Their short run would indicate they never sold well.

The purpose is to guide the case into the die body for faster sizing and more uniform cases.

Ken

texassako
05-01-2015, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the info Pressman. It had me stumped, but it was weird enough I had to buy it since it was only $8. I tested it on a few cases that were a bit mangled trying to figure out how it functioned, and that insert really helps iron them out straight.

pworley1
05-01-2015, 10:13 PM
Looks like mostly a solution without a problem.

texassako
05-01-2015, 10:48 PM
Looks like mostly a solution without a problem.

Yep, but I bet Herters had a great sales pitch for it. It will be added to my "What were they thinking?" tool shelf to be used if I come across anymore dented .38 Special cases.

EDG
05-05-2015, 01:03 AM
I can see where it would help a lot with a wobbly goblin on a single stage tilted back like the Bair, Pacific and Lymans.