PDA

View Full Version : first ever induction of NCO at Stuttgart backbone of armed forces

doc1876
05-01-2015, 11:13 AM
just a little notation in the world history toady for your information

http://www.stuttgartcitizen.com/news/stuttgart-ncos-inducted-into-backbone-of-military/

Bad Water Bill
05-01-2015, 03:06 PM
What was this induction thing?

A list of promotions was posted when I made E4 and a few told me congratulations and this was on the beach.

Made E5 on board the Independence in Gitmo Bay and the only thing that happened that day was I had to remind personnel that I was due for discharge in 5 days.

Flew out of there on a DC3 that night and stood line watches with E3s and less till I was discharged,*** on that base did not stand line watches on that base and there I was with the bird and 2 stripes walking my post in a military manner.

How things have changed.

For the record I was in a hand picked (BU/PERS) squadron of 99 men and officers taking the first squadron of A4s to the Med.

Ickisrulz
05-01-2015, 03:17 PM
During my time in the USAF I saw many efforts to try and make it a little nicer for the people. This included promotion and NCO induction ceremonies, award banquets and nice retirement ceremonies. This was much better than throwing someone's stripes on their desk when they got promoted or next to nothing when they retired. These things are not everyone's cup or tea or essential, but some people appreciated them.

Omega
05-01-2015, 03:57 PM
I got inducted when I was pinned SGT/E5 which was sort of cool, it was at the NCO club and all new SGTs were inducted by having their respective 1SGs introduce them to the rest of the NCOs. But a couple years later most clubs went all ranks so lost a bit of their appeal.

That was pretty much my only memorable ceremony as even when I retired I did not get a retirement ceremony. Even most of my medals did not get a formal presentation, and one of them was sort of a big deal. But I wanted it that way as I didn't like all the hoopla so I would pickup my awards from our S1 (Personnel Office) before they could be added to the awards ceremony list.

Love Life
05-01-2015, 04:20 PM
Mosquito wings and landing gears got tacked on. Blood stripes were installed by the rest of the NCO's when we ran the gauntlet...twice. SNCO was easy cheese pin on followed by a wet down.

LynC2
05-01-2015, 05:12 PM
Bad Water Bill;3236163]What was this induction thing?[/U]

A list of promotions was posted when I made E4 and a few told me congratulations and this was on the beach.

Made E5 on board the Independence in Gitmo Bay and the only thing that happened that day was I had to remind personnel that I was due for discharge in 5 days.

Flew out of there on a DC3 that night and stood line watches with E3s and less till I was discharged,*** on that base did not stand line watches on that base and there I was with the bird and 2 stripes walking my post in a military manner.

How things have changed.

For the record I was in a hand picked (BU/PERS) squadron of 99 men and officers taking the first squadron of A4s to the Med.

No lie! I passed the 2nd class test in under 2 years (wavers for time in grade) and sewed it on shortly thereafter. When I was discharged at Pier 91 I had the honor (:x) of standing night fire watches for 2 weeks before being discharged. Yup, it sure makes one want to re-enlist.
Then there was that wonderful thing about personnel getting field promotions in Viet Nam. Everyone got an extra stripe in my outfit, but I didn't get one since I was planning on being discharged. Never mind I was doing a E-7's job and doing a much better job (which was acknowledged by my CO) than all the previous ones that held that position. What is this ceremony thing of which they speak? Well, actually I glad they give the petty officers their due as it is way overdue.

Bad Water Bill
05-01-2015, 05:56 PM
Not sure how it is today BUT back then the Navy did not have many bennies for E4-6.

Chiefs had their own club and separate bunk area.

One night in Malta we visited a military drinking pub

2 Of Her Majesties Royal Marines invited us to a party where the drinks were free.

We walked in and the place was loaded with gold braid everywhere.

No way are we going in there with all of them as we are only enlisted men we said.

Yes you are going in because you are NON COMMISSIONED OFFICERS.

PS

When we left that evening looking for a cab a gentleman stopped and opened his door saying "would you GENTLEMEN like a ride back to the ship".

The occupant just happened to be the American Ambassador to Malta.

But that is another good old tale for another time.

leadman
05-02-2015, 02:42 AM
I turned down E-5 a couple of times in Korea. Pay difference was only about $13 a month and almost twice the after hours duties. Ending up getting most of the duty anyway as an E-4.

ohland
05-02-2015, 11:33 PM
I turned down E-5 a couple of times in Korea. Pay difference was only about $13 a month and almost twice the after hours duties. Ending up getting most of the duty anyway as an E-4.

Ah, the "E-4 Mafia". Also known as the "sham shield".

ohland
05-02-2015, 11:47 PM
retirement ceremonies... next to nothing when they retired

Having survived a few of them, my strongly held belief is the person knows the value of what they are doing while in the service. Having a ceremony on the last day is cheesy, like having a funeral where the preacher acts like he knew the decedent. The bi and tri- annual change of command ceremonies were good too (Group, Brigade, HHD, Branch). Al Queda doesn't have to do anything, just let the services get back to normal operations... USARC reserve centers, AQs biggest internment camps :veryconfu

If folks valued someone's contributions, they will usually have a get-together where folks don't have to be formal.

My last unit was such a waste of potential, with some folks being put in positions they were clearly incapable of, it was a never ending grind. I turned in my TA-50 during the week (they had to get the HHC Supply SGT, our AGR Supply SGT was broke) and I never went back.

ohland
05-02-2015, 11:51 PM
because you are NON COMMISSIONED OFFICERS

My copy of "Guardians of the Republic" was grabbed by my last Branch SGM. Good book, shows the beginnings of the NCO back in the 1400s? and how there wasn't too much of a difference between the Non Coms and commissioned officers.

Lloyd Smale
05-03-2015, 07:35 AM
when I was in the chiefs taught us real leadership not some yuppie instructor teaching us how to be politically correct. **** like this is why I got out.