PDA

View Full Version : buy a british sten gun/9mm

gunoil
05-01-2015, 12:11 AM
If ya had a auto permit for 500$ tax, could you find a British sten gun 9mm?

If wwll vet brought one home in 1950, did he have to register it in 1986?

SOFMatchstaff
05-01-2015, 12:53 AM
#1, transfer tax is $200 after you qualify for one with you local sheriff or chief LEO.
#2 yes you could get a Sten, they are available.
#3 If a WWII vet brought it home, it should have capture papers or military documentation, most likely a DEWAT. If it was a dufflebag toy, then it "could" have been amnesty registered in 1968, as the 1986 date you refer to was the banning of further manufacturing of machine guns for civilian sales. the basterds!

All this pertains to full auto weapons, semi auto stens are the same calss as a standard rifle .. Hope this helps some.

lefty o
05-01-2015, 01:41 AM
if it hasnt been registered, its illegal.

gunoil
05-01-2015, 10:11 AM
Well how would old guy register it nowdays @ 88 years old?

NoAngel
05-01-2015, 10:28 AM
#1, transfer tax is $200 after you qualify for one with you local sheriff or chief LEO.
#2 yes you could get a Sten, they are available.
#3 If a WWII vet brought it home, it should have capture papers or military documentation, most likely a DEWAT. If it was a dufflebag toy, then it "could" have been amnesty registered in 1968, as the 1986 date you refer to was the banning of further manufacturing of machine guns for civilian sales. the basterds!

All this pertains to full auto weapons, semi auto stens are the same calss as a standard rifle .. Hope this helps some.

step one is only necessary if you're buying straight up and only a dummy would do it that way. An NFA trust is the ONLY way to go. You can add members at any time and upon your death, there no BS to deal with. It also lets you bypass finger prints and getting a CLEO sign off.

You DON'T. About the only LEGAL thing one could do is contact the ATF and file an abandonment. They will seize it and since you've come forward with it, they'll make a judgement on the matter. If they determine theres no real criminal activity they'll destroy it and that will be the end of it.

Hypothetically speaking of course, one could just keep their mouth shut, disassemble it, chop he receiver into two or three pieces making sure NOT to damage the magazine well, then build a perfectly legal semi auto version on the remaining pieces.

rondog
05-01-2015, 10:29 AM
You can't. If it wasn't registered by the deadline in 1968, then it's illegal. Subject to confiscation and prosecution of the possessor. A hot potato.

gunoil
05-01-2015, 10:32 AM
There should be a way for wwll vet to re-instate it, sick country.

Gunslingerdoc
05-01-2015, 10:39 AM
There have been cases where war trophy's were considered "registered" if the returning serviceman had capture papers when they brought it back...this requires that the vet actually have the capture papers signed by their CO when from when they returned for WW2, some luck, political pull, a decent lawyer and atf not having a bad day. Next it could have been a registered DEWAT or amnesty registered in 1968. if None of the above is present/happened, it can be donated to a museum (and not destroyed) or destroyed - pick your flavor...by him, the local LEO (who could actually register it, I think under a form 10 - been awhile since Ive been involved and then they keep it), or BATF.

PS I shoot my sten with PC coated cast Boolits all the time.

rondog
05-01-2015, 11:14 AM
There should be a way for wwll vet to re-instate it, sick country.
I think you'll find most folks agree with you! If Grandpa dies and leaves a cherry old Thompson in a trunk up in the attic, there should be a way for the family to keep it. Period.

gunoil
05-01-2015, 02:41 PM
Dang right, i grew up here in ft bragg & have upmost respect for vets. There should be a provision for form & interview with spouse and vet. Heck, he may have forgot about it at age and after war he may not have been fond of any weapon. Maybe just golf or something.

gew98
05-01-2015, 10:19 PM
talk all the **** we want about these awesome emmagees..... uncle scumbag has it in for us and no political or common sense remedy is there or ever will be. They - the political scum simply will not trust anyone to have such arms. Any chance they get to "Infringe" ... the 2nd amendment just gets smaller and weaker in their legal BS speak . We suffer for such treachary...and it's coming to a home near you soon enough !.

MtGun44
05-02-2015, 01:52 AM
Anybody associated in any way with this sort of thing should be smart enough to continue
to keep their silly mouth shut, especially on a public web site., but literally anywhere. No
way to ever be legal, so either cut it up or just shut up.

gunoil
05-02-2015, 11:00 AM
the thread is about veterans rights, iam not a vet. They fought for our freedom and need rights from their goverment. This is ft bragg, there are plenty of vets here and always will be. l would like to have auto some day too. They have a huge meet in arkansas and other states many times a year. Look on google.

Iam born in this country, l would like to join these clubs & shoot one day:

arkansas machine gun shoot or oklahoma:
http://www.oklahomafullauto.com
----------------------------------------

Artful
05-02-2015, 11:35 AM
Anybody associated in any way with this sort of thing should be smart enough to continue to keep their silly mouth shut, especially on a public web site., but literally anywhere. No way to ever be legal, so either cut it up or just shut up.

What a great attitude towards education

- I'm so proud to be a member here.

http://fingolfen.blogspot.com/2007/04/atf-wants-to-scrap-sgt-yorks-captured.html

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2193660/posts

Posted on 2/25/2009, 8:05:32 AM
NAHANT - An old World War I artifact that was locked away in the attic of the library for decades and had most recently been stored in a police evidence locker has found a new home.

A Maxim machine gun originally captured and retrieved by the 17 survivors of Sergeant Alvin York's platoon is about to embark on what may be its final journey to the Museum of Appalachia in Norris, Tenn.

The gun was surrendered among other weapons in 1918 when 132 Germans were taken prisoner. The gun was sent to Nahant by Mayland Lewis, an Army clerk serving in France who took the first shorthand report of the battle from York.

The gun was exhibited as a trophy of war in the town's 1919 welcome home parade. It was placed in a red wagon that was pulled by Boy Scouts and, following the parade, Lewis presented the weapon to the Nahant Public Library. The gun was relinquished to the attic of the public library and it was rediscovered in 2003 when Library Director Daniel deStefano literally tripped over it.

The Board of Library Trustees looked into selling the weapon at auction but found itself in a Catch 22. The gun had never been registered so it is classified as an unregistered automatic weapon, which means the library could not sell it or keep it. After the gun was rediscovered, it was transferred to an evidence locker at the Nahant Police station where it has remained.

Compared to modern machine guns, the Maxim was heavy, bulky and awkward. Even though one person could fire the gun, it was usually operated by a team of men. The cooling mechanism of the weapon needed a constant supply of water in order to produce a continuous stream of fire and several men were needed to move or shift its position.

Library Trustee John Welch said the library and Nahant Historical Society tried to find a way to keep the historic gun, which is fully functional, in town but that proved impossible. The only option open to the library was to destroy the gun or to transfer it to a museum that receives federal funding so the Board of Library Trustees entered into an agreement with the Museum of Appalachia, which is building an exhibit around the weapon.

"We can't give it to Nahant Historical Society," he said. "It has to be donated to a museum that gets federal funding. So we're donating it to the Museum of Appalachia and the museum is making a $10,000 donation to our building fund. We'd much rather see the gun at the Nahant Historical Society but the government won't let us do that."

Welch said the Maxim is believed to be the last surviving weapon captured by York so it is historically very significant.

"York was from Tennessee so he's a local hero down there," he said. "The museum has a whole exhibit dedicated to York."

But before the weapon is shipped off to Appalachia, area residents will have an opportunity to see the historic Maxim. On Sunday, March 22 from 2:30 p.m. until 4:30 p.m., the weapon will be on display in the library. Welch said police officers would transport the gun to the library and for a $5 donation to the Friends of the Nahant Public Library, area residents can have their picture taken with the World War I artifact.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/local-news/yorks-legacy-comes-to-east-tennessee

York's legacy comes to East Tennessee
German machine gun captured by state's WWI hero now at Museum of Appalachia
http://mediaassets.knoxnews.com/photo/2014/05/28/york_atb_02_5350505_ver1.0_640_480.jpg
Fred Brown
12:00 AM, Jan 17, 2010

The Sergeant York Project

The York Story

Of the 2 million American soldiers who served in France during World War I, one name became synonymous with the doughboy war, an authentic all-American, sea-to-shining-sea hero: Alvin Cullum York.

York is easily the most famous soldier of World War I and perhaps the greatest American combat hero of all time.

Now, a part of the battlefield action that made York an international legend has come to the land of his beginning.

A renowned German machine gun that York captured in the closing days of the war in France is on permanent loan to the Museum of Appalachia in Norris. It will be on display for the first time Jan. 24 at the Tennessee Theatre downtown in a special exhibition.

It took nearly two years of working through federal red tape to get the German Maxim M1908/15 light machine gun to Norris from the Nahant, Mass., Public Library, which has possessed the weapon for the past 92 years.

Norris police took possession of the famous weapon, and Tim Hester, Norris city manager, signed it over to the museum in a simple agreement between the museum and the town of Norris.

An undisclosed amount of money was donated by the Museum of Appalachia to the Nahant Public Library for the gun. Museum authorities don't want to speculate about its worth.

From Tennessee farm boy to war hero

York was born at Pall Mall, Tenn., deep in the "Valley of the Three Forks of the Wolf River" on Dec. 13, 1887. The third of 11 children, he grew up a poor farm boy in a rural region.

Despite his religious beliefs and his desire to be a conscientious objector, York was drafted and sent to the 82nd Division. Later he was assigned to the division's Company G, 328th Infantry Regiment.

The 328th was part of the American Expeditionary Force's I Corps during the Meuse- Argonne Offensive, one of five major battles that the Allies called the "Grand Offensive," fought from about Sept. 26 through Nov. 11, 1918.

It was during the offensive that York pulled off one of the great feats of any combat soldier of any time. He single-handedly annihilated a German machine gun battalion on Oct. 8, 1918, killing 25 German soldiers and capturing 132 enemy soldiers. He seized more than 30 machine guns, which had been killing Americans with extreme accuracy and ferocity.

The M1908/15 Maxim light machine gun was one of the German weapons York confiscated in the Argonne Forest battle, making it a highly significant artifact and a priceless war piece.

After he marched his prisoners back to American lines, York ordered the Germans to toss the gun into a pile along with other arms.

Mayland Lewis of Nahant, Mass., a small island north of Boston and south of Salem, was an Army lieutenant assigned to the adjutant's staff. He took notes for the Army on York's bravery and the German surrender.

After noting York's exploits, Lewis plucked the machine gun from the pile and sent it to his folks in Nahant as a war memento of York's actions. In World War I, there were no restrictions against that sort of thing.

On Armistice Day in 1919, which celebrated the end of World War I, the Nahant Boy Scouts paraded the machine gun along the streets of the peninsula in a small red wagon, according to the Lewis family.

The only other time the machine gun made a parade performance was this past Veterans Day Parade in Nahant.

Up in the attic

Lewis gave the gun to the Nahant Public Library, which promptly retired it to the attic. There it remained until 2003, when Dan deStefano, library director, stumbled over it. He pulled it from the debris, believing the gun barrel to be some sort of pipe.

Library officials thought at first they might sell the machine gun. Then they discovered it was an unregistered automatic weapon. Federal law prevented the library from either owning or selling the machine gun legally.

The Nahant Police Department "arrested" the machine gun and locked it away. Nahant Library Trustee John Welsh tried to find a way to keep the one-of-a-kind weapon but discovered that he could only give it to a historic museum that receives federal funding, such as the Museum of Appalachia.

"It is the last surviving weapon captured by York," Welsh said. "So it is historically significant. And if we can't have it, then I think it is where it belongs."

John Rice Irwin, Museum of Appalachia founder, learned of the machine gun through a friend who had read about it. He enlisted museum board of trustees member Mike Evans, founding partner of The Evans Group, a national sales company representing leading manufacturers in the shooting, hunting, outdoor and law enforcement markets. Evans in turn enlisted the help of a friend, retired Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agent Bob Bilbo.

Bilbo worked through almost 30 hours of federal weapons paperwork so that the museum could legally acquire it, a process that took the museum about two years to complete.

"This thing was like a secret weapon. We didn't have anything like it," said Evans, who worked with Welsh in Nahant to make it possible for the museum to receive the weapon. In the end, the machine gun was simply mailed through the United States Postal Service to the Norris Public Safety Department from the Nahant Police Department.

The water-cooled Maxim, or Maschinengewehr 08 (the year it was adopted by Germany), could spit out 400 7.9 mm rounds per minute and was accurate to a range of almost 4,000 yards.

-- What: Museum of Appalachia presents "Sergeant York, An American Hero"

-- When: Sunday, Jan. 24

-- Where: Historic Tennessee Theatre, 604 S. Gay St.

-- Tickets: $100 per person (Ticket also good for grand re-opening of Sgt. York Family exhibit at MOA 2 p.m. Feb. 7.) Any unused or extra VIP tickets can be donated to veterans in Ben Atchley State Veterans Home, 9910 Coward Mill Road, Knoxville.

-- What's included: VIP ticket includes reception, music by Dixie Gray at 2 p.m., followed by 2:30 p.m. program and 3:30 p.m. screening of the 1941 classic film "Sergeant York" starring Gary Cooper.

Knoxville showing

The gun will be displayed 2 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 24, at the Tennessee Theatre during a special VIP reception.

Former U.S. Sen. Howard H. Baker Jr. will welcome special guests, and WBIR, Channel 10's John Becker will serve as master of ceremonies. For ticket information, call the museum at 865-494-7680 or visit www.museumofappalachia.org.

Ticket proceeds will go toward safely securing the weapon. Later it will become the centerpiece in an extensive York exhibit.

For his actions in the Argonne Forest, York received the Distinguished Service Cross from the U.S., France's Croix de Guerre and Legion of Honor, Italy's Croce di Guerra and the War Medal from Monte*****.

Then, after an Army investigation of the events on Oct. 8, 1918, Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, American Expedition Forces commander, upgraded the Distinguished Service Cross to the Medal of Honor.

On the day York received the Medal of Honor, Pershing called him the "greatest civilian soldier of the war."

Garyshome
05-02-2015, 11:39 AM
"the political scum simply will not trust anyone" But Themselves to have such arms.
Needed a little correction there.

gunoil
05-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Here is the place to be: l get se check in august, that will help buy stuff.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/C2A7CF32-D8A6-4C7E-B740-6B1E350CA3EE_zpspyctptft.png (http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/putt2012/media/C2A7CF32-D8A6-4C7E-B740-6B1E350CA3EE_zpspyctptft.png.html)

I would drive out to hang out with these guys & my other friends in oklahoma.
I just was in Oklahoma, dang gun shop was so big it had a restaurant in it. H&H.
----------------------
brevity&misspelling rampant

Garyshome
05-02-2015, 11:48 AM
Buy it from the guy and bury it till O'dufus declares martial law then who cares what you have!

gunoil
05-02-2015, 11:51 AM
Heres another:

http://www.midwestgunandrange.com/machine-gun-rentals.cfm

Northern rockies machgun shoot out 2015:

http://www.wyomingnfa.com

Here in fayetteville/ft bragg nc,, they now have autos at jims pawn to rent. And they'll sell ya one with permit and money.

Jim has some guns worth 130 grand.

Artful
05-02-2015, 12:10 PM
Jim has some guns worth 130 grand.

Correction: Jim has some guns selling for $130,000 - without Federal interference of your second amendment rights you could make/buy for under $5,000.

gunoil
05-02-2015, 04:16 PM
This one was a elephant gun he bought @ vegas show. I forget the name of that show.

Artful, l lived in Phoenix in 71'&72'. The beef brisket was good and the playboy club had just been closed, l got lucky. She picked me up. Dang place is ruined now.

Multigunner
05-02-2015, 04:47 PM
In the 50's and 60's a company (possibly Sterling) sold a civilian semi auto version of the STEN to planters and other British residents of African countries, to ward off the Mau Mau I suppose.
The description I read of these mentioned a solid plastic or bakelite butt stock rather than the tube or wire stock of the military model.
I suspect these were easily restored to full auto operation.
I've seen what was probably one of these civilian STENs in an old British sci fi film, carried by a factory security guard. The butt stock was black and resembled an M1 carbine butt stock.

Several non british Sten users also manufactured the basic sten with a wooden butt stock, I've seen photos of one in a museum display with extra long, possibly suppressed barrel, and butt stock that appeared to be a modified SMLE butt.

gunoil
05-02-2015, 04:57 PM
Wow, l bet that sten semi would be hard to find too. Neat history, thanks. l guess in wwll the british civilians army or what ever ya call them, got em for free l guess. hitler never invaded.

Why all these gun shop's now offer pistol caliber lil' auto rifles to rent and shoot, they didnt have em last year?

they all have to be pistol caliber.

Artful
05-02-2015, 08:33 PM
Sterling Shrouded carbine and Pistol
http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/albums/1911/sterlingx2.jpg
UnShrouded
http://www.impactguns.com/Data/Default/Images/uploads/century/century_ri1582x_b.jpg

D-Max
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd102/Thed762/dmax.jpg (http://s227.photobucket.com/user/Thed762/media/dmax.jpg.html)

Century Arms introduced their Sterling Sporter 9mm carbine
http://i.imgur.com/9fgluXj.jpg

gew98
05-03-2015, 12:49 AM
Here is the place to be: l get se check in august, that will help buy stuff.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/C2A7CF32-D8A6-4C7E-B740-6B1E350CA3EE_zpspyctptft.png (http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/putt2012/media/C2A7CF32-D8A6-4C7E-B740-6B1E350CA3EE_zpspyctptft.png.html)

I would drive out to hang out with these guys & my other friends in oklahoma.
I just was in Oklahoma, dang gun shop was so big it had a restaurant in it. H&H.
----------------------
brevity&misspelling rampant
Cheaper than knobber crooks..... wish it was closer to me !.