PDA

View Full Version : hornady case lube

too many things
04-30-2015, 09:17 PM
is the hornady unique the same as imperial ? it is a lot cheaper.

300winmag
04-30-2015, 10:35 PM
I have never had a problem with unique, I use both and no problems. I don't think they are the same. The Hornady one shot spray I do not like.

jmort
04-30-2015, 10:38 PM
They are not the same. I like and use Unique lube.

dromia
05-01-2015, 01:45 AM
Different lubes, however Hornady Unique is at least as good as Imperial at a fraction of the cost.

It is my "go to" case lube.

trapper9260
05-01-2015, 04:15 AM
I use hornady unique ,I try usen other kind of lubes and found it works the best and also it was a gunsmith that got me on it also after I got a case stuck in my sizen die and deprimer. It smell like mink oil also and I look at what it is use for and compare it to mink oil and have all the same use also for how it looks.i wonder if it is about the same thing at times.I ask the gunsmith about if it is mink oil he thinks they add some thing to unique.

DR Owl Creek
05-01-2015, 01:40 PM
I have never had a problem with unique, I use both and no problems. I don't think they are the same. The Hornady one shot spray I do not like.

Same here. I really like the Hornady Unique case lube. I also really like the Imperial Sizing Wax. One may work better on one type of case, and the other might work best on another. You just have to try them both to see which one works the best for you.

I've never found the Hornady One Shot case lube to work very well on anything I've tried.

Dave

Maximumbob54
05-01-2015, 01:56 PM
How much ammo do you have to reload to use up a can of Imperial sizing wax? I've reloaded buckets of .223, .30-30, and more and while I've made a deep dent in it, it's far from done.

Hardcast416taylor
05-01-2015, 03:57 PM
Imperial sizing lube for case forming, Dillion pump spray lube for all other case lubing - never did like Hornady spray lubes.Robert

too many things
05-01-2015, 04:26 PM
thanks
I still have over 1/2 of the imperil but saw the hornady stuff. I like most of their products.
saw amazon has the tub for $3.59 so was asking.

Maximumbob54
05-02-2015, 09:12 AM
For cases that don't really need it but it makes it that much more pleasant, mix some water based lube like RCBS case lube and some isopropyl alcohol in a small spray bottle. Dump brass in a box, spritz once or twice, shakey -shakey, and load as normal. Straight wall stuff like .45 and .38 goes from being easy enough to near effortless. If you are running a progressive it can help ease up the operation. Understand that a little goes a long way. You are just trying to leave a thin film. I has harassed I would contaminate the powder. Hasn't happened yet and the key is the thin film and not running goop.

cajun shooter
05-04-2015, 11:56 AM
I like the Hornaday One Shot after I finally learned how to use it properly. My problem and many others I suspect that have had problems is that the way it's applied. I started off giving my brass a quick once over and had trouble all the time with stuck cases. I then decided to use a large plastic serving tray purchased from the dollar store and coated the cases more evenly with more spray. The cases were allowed to dry before sizing and it was a new experience, all the cases were very easy to size. Take care David

williamwaco
05-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Different lubes, however Hornady Unique is at least as good as Imperial at a fraction of the cost.

It is my "go to" case lube.

Ditto.

MarkP
05-04-2015, 01:04 PM
Unique case lube is mink oil, the oil for the Hornady / Pacific lube felt pads was caster oil.

kfarm
05-04-2015, 02:26 PM
I think it's impossible to use up a tin of imperial.

EddieNFL
05-05-2015, 08:33 PM
I think it's impossible to use up a tin of imperial.

No, it's not. I'm on my second, but I expect it to outlast me.

soldierbilly1
05-06-2015, 10:21 AM
When I used to shoot 223, I used a great deal of Imperial for sizing.
Off topic, but I now use the Lee, white creamy stuff. Works well
and is water soluble, i. e, easy to wipe off.
I don't need more work.
bill boy

kryogen
05-07-2015, 09:12 PM
I like the Hornaday One Shot after I finally learned how to use it properly. My problem and many others I suspect that have had problems is that the way it's applied. I started off giving my brass a quick once over and had trouble all the time with stuck cases. I then decided to use a large plastic serving tray purchased from the dollar store and coated the cases more evenly with more spray. The cases were allowed to dry before sizing and it was a new experience, all the cases were very easy to size. Take care David

This. I had a lot of trouble also, i used too little and didnt dry.

now i apply enough to completely coat the cases, and dry with a heat gun. Now they glide soooooo well its day and night.

kryogen
05-08-2015, 10:01 PM
tried to size some today, they were really sticky and sized bad.
So you have to coat, dry, and size right away. The next day they are all sticky.

I don't know why.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
05-08-2015, 10:14 PM
Yep, Unique is good stuff and works well on my leather boots too. The One Shot spray is good stuff too. I prefer that for pistol cases being used on progressive machines. Just makes the sizing operation so much easier, even if using carbide dies.