PDA

View Full Version : Bulet Lube and Temperature Changes ???

JohnH
10-03-2005, 07:34 PM
OK, both my rifles are shooting great, median temperature is probably low 80's currently. That'll change before firearms deer season opens at Thanksgiving. By then the median should be around 50 or so, by end of the season at end of January, median will be 30. What's going to happen to my loads? Do I need to begin experimenting with a different lube now? Currently I am using FWFL with a bit of parafin added to stiffen it some. Need I be concerned at all?

felix
10-03-2005, 08:34 PM
Probably not, John. But, to make yourself more confident, go ahead and wait for a 30 degree night, leaving the gun and some ammo outside in the shed, or in a plastic baggie that can breath. Have some ammo with really soft lube, and some with medium lube, and some just like you have. Shoot one round per hour, starting with the hardest. ... felix

Maven
10-04-2005, 08:32 PM
John, I've been using Felix Lube almost exclusively for the last several years and haven't noticed any loss of accuracy or performance that I can attribute to change in temperature. We shoot in the winter, but usually not when the temp. falls below 30 (We're wimps!) and in the heat of summer (and this past one was hot!), but find the lube performs well under both conditions. I'd be more concerned about close to max. charges of the "exotic" IMR 7383 in the heat than my lube. Then too, you try what Felix suggested: Freeze the ammo, pack it in an insulated bag and head for the range.

Wayne Smith
10-05-2005, 07:38 AM
Yeah, experimenting is a good idea, but you have to control all variables. You still haven't controlled variance due to temperature effects on the powder. John, make sure you are using a powder that is temp. insensitive if you do this.