PDA

View Full Version : silver braze/solider for antimony?

Onlymenotu
03-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Ok I was off at work today doing my own thing when a coworker came up to me and ask me to remove a copper coil she was silver brazing in and burn a hole in the copper coil...... as I was heating the coil up to remove it from the cap... the little bb's were dripping on the table.... *idea popped on to my head*...... boolit casting....possable antimony?...... I know it would be price if I had to buy it... but I could get all the drip's and bb's,,,, and smelt them back down in to useable form ...... it's mostly silver and copper( maybe a slight trace of zink) as i would have no contoal of witch silver braze/solider the bb's- drips came from ,,,,, but I think the stuff melts about 1200 deg's :roll: once it was alloyed in would the pot have to run that hot? to keep it melted or would it be less,,,because it was broke down by volume? am I wasting my time on this?..... I'll have to do some more reasearch on the specific's of the silverbraze-solider

& if this would work. what would the ratio be say oz to lb('s) for small batchs to play with...... I know I don't want all my boolits this hard,,,,,, but it maybe fun to tinker/ play with,,,,

Lee W
03-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Look up the specs. The stuff I use is 45% zinc.
Silver does help make a pretty boolit though. [smilie=1:

trooperdan
03-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Onlymenotu, less than .1 % zinc in your melt will make your life miserable if you try to make boolits with it.. want to take the chance?

Onlymenotu
03-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Look up the specs. The stuff I use is 45% zinc.
Silver does help make a pretty boolit though. [smilie=1:

I'll look up the spec's monday if i think/remember too..... but I think this is what we use the most

Filler Metal name: Braze 450
Typical Applications: For ships' piping, band instruments, aircraft engine oil coolers, brass lamps.
Solidus: 1225'F/665'C
Liquidus: 1370'F/745'C
Max. Recom. Brazing Temp. 'F: 1550
Nominal Composition,%: 45Ag 30Cu 25Zn
Joint Color as Brazed: Yellow White
Density Troy oz/cu in: 4.80
Electrical Characteristics

* Conduct. % IACS: 19
* Resistivity microhm-cm: 9.08

like I said I'll have to check in to it more.......

garandsrus
03-14-2008, 10:57 PM
Onlymenotu,

If the alloy is 45% silver, 30%copper and 25% zinc, I don't think it would be of any use at all for casting... I wonder if there is an easy/economical way to reclaim just the silver.

Copper is supposed to contaminate the mix in relatively high doses (probably still under 1%) and zinc definitely will.

John

Onlymenotu
03-14-2008, 11:06 PM
Onlymenotu,

If the alloy is 45% silver, 30%copper and 25% zinc, I don't think it would be of any use at all for casting... I wonder if there is an easy/economical way to reclaim just the silver.

Copper is supposed to contaminate the mix in relatively high doses (probably still under 1%) and zinc definitely will.

John

John , I have know idea if there is a eazy way to recover the silver,,,,,,,, i know the stuff is pricey,,,, IF I remember right they pay close to 300 bucks for a 50 troy oz roll..... I was just looking at the bb's and drippings,,,,,, as free antimony...... if i could get it to work

runfiverun
03-15-2008, 12:54 AM
a bit of silver=good
a little copper=good
a very smalllittle bit of zink=BAD

preparehandbook
11-02-2010, 12:19 AM
I was melting some lead shot and scrap the other day when I spied a fat coil of my wife's solder. I sneakily snipped off as much as I thought she wouldn't notice and fed it into my melt pot. It looked great! I scraped off the dross and cast a slug.

When I went to demold the slug some minutes later it came out of the mold fine but landed like a lump of cottage cheese, all crumbly and loose. When I worked it casually into conversation a couple of days later she pointed out that it was lead-free solder.

lwknight
11-02-2010, 01:02 AM
Lead free solder is usually 95% tin and a balance of antimony and /or silver/copper

preparehandbook
11-02-2010, 02:24 AM
She laughed long and hard at my mistake, this solder was some nasty stuff that would melt one, then if heat was reapplied got grainy, turns out she stopped using it because she couldn't do any reworking. She mentioned what it was made of, but I've forgotten, zinc and?