PDA

View Full Version : Take me to school today---SHOW N TELL--me please

49FMarlin
04-29-2015, 11:17 AM
44Mag 200GN RNFP HSM Cowboy Action Lead/factory ammo
(getting mixed findings on google as to FPS, 800 rifle 350 pistol, and 975)
retrieving one of the boolits there are NO GC's on them

14inch Barrel CV2 Scout Pistol brand new in box until yesterday, (traded antique stove and lantern for it)
put my Bi-pod off my 22 on it,
Rifle scope

heres some pictures, fired in the back yard, sounds like a 410 gauge kicks like it also,
DAM FUN

OK, 8 rounds, noticed the bottom of cases have torch/burn marks ? showing blue
1- is this because of the low powdered rounds?
2- is this a factory defect ? in the pistol
3 or is it normal with a single shot break action pistol? with a bullet extractor
4- at 14 inches of barrel, is it a rifle FPS to a pistol FPS or half way between ?

picture of inside barrel
What does leading look like ?
what do you see--Normal?

retrieved boolit
shot 30yrds through 10 pieces of spaced particle board in front of trippel-stack of concrete blocks
what do you see that i can learn from

thank you
for teaching me anything

I want to cast for this pistol with the goal to load mouse-farts, AKA squirrel hangovers
hoping to get the 410 sound down to 22 levels,
I have read someone here has done it with a 44Mag rifle

texassako
04-29-2015, 11:26 AM
The marks on the cases are from gas blowing back. You need more pressure to get the case to expand and seal at the mouth. What is your powder and charge? This is where Trailboss shines. It will slow it down for you but keep the pressures up.

49FMarlin
04-29-2015, 11:37 AM
The marks on the cases are from gas blowing back. You need more pressure to get the case to expand and seal at the mouth. What is your powder and charge? This is where Trailboss shines. It will slow it down for you but keep the pressures up.

store bought boolits googling gives me very little info on them

texassako
04-29-2015, 11:38 AM
store bought boolits googling gives me very little info on them

Ah, I did not realize it was factory ammo. Thought it was a commercial cast bullet in your loads.

49FMarlin
04-29-2015, 11:38 AM

if i continue to shoot these will it harm it from the brass burn/track ? will it burn a trench?
ill change it in my post, to factory,,learning how to speak-the language too,,lol

John Boy
04-29-2015, 11:53 AM
You have some severe issues and they start with the ammunition ... send an email to the vendor with the pictures, they have some explaining to do. Who is the vendor?

Outpost75
04-29-2015, 11:54 AM
Most commercially cast bullets loaded in factory cowboy loads are too hard to upset and fill the bore, and this causes leadng because usually the bullets are undersized as well, and the hard lube used on commercial bullets does not flow to coat the bore and is ineffective in providing any boundary layer protection. The fact that you recover bullets with the lube still in the grooves and with a leaded bore shows the lube is not doing the job.

You would be much better off casting your own bullets for the .44 Magnum. Straight wheelweights are hard enough up to about 1300 fps which is a practical limit with plain-based bullets. Your Contender barrel probably has a rifle-style throat and will probably shoot best with the largest bullet diameter which chambers easily. If your mold drops bullets at .431-.432" just tumble lube them in LSStuff 45-45-10 or Lee Liquid Alox and try some as cast without sizing. A charge of 7 grains of Bullseye, 8 grains of 231, 9 grains of Unique or 10 grains of Herco are good places to start. These are not full charges but will be about 1050-1080 fps in a 10 inch Contender and will be both pleasant and accurate.

In my .44 Mags I shoot 7-8 grains of Bullseye most of the time and my cases come out clean and not smoky.

Sweetpea
04-29-2015, 11:58 AM
It will not harm the gun, just a pita to clean.

A bit more pressure will cure it.

Trail boss will help with that, and keep the noise and velocity down.

runfiverun
04-29-2015, 12:18 PM
okay you have set your parameters.
you want something quiet, which means slow. [velocity]
I would look at using clays powder.
5 grains [max] under the 200 or similar will clean up your cases, it will also burn efficiently in your barrel length.

titegroup will also work.
I have used as low as 4 grains in my 41 mag with a 210 swc and have gone up to 6 grs in a 45 colt with 200-250gr boolits.
this is also a clean shooting load, with minimal recoil.

there are other powders which will perform similarly like win-231 and imr-700x in that same range of powder weight and velocity potential.

mdi
04-29-2015, 12:21 PM
Today's "Cowboy" loads are usually pretty light. Yep, the soot is from burning powder that the case hasn't sealed off from the chamber. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not that familiar with factory .44 magnum loads, 'cause I haven't purchased any in prolly 22 years, but do some research for some "light" loads, but not "Cowboy light", if you want little recoil. But after all it is a .44 Magnum, even in a 14" barrel yer gonna get Magnum muzzle blast and recoil. That's the nature of the beast. When you start reloading you will be able to tailor a load with the effects on the target and the effects on you within your needs. I've been reloading the .44 Magnum for my 5 .44s for 25 years and loaded everything from 123 gr. balls over Bullseye, to 265 gr. T-Rex killers over heavy WC820 charges (if I need a heavier bullet I'll go to a 454 Casull)...8-)

49FMarlin
04-29-2015, 12:26 PM
THANK YOU ALL

I bought these so id be able to shoot and have some brass, until i get a mold, dies, and I've got cousins looking into there powder lockers for me,
as pistol powder is a rarity,
but I'm excited about this pistol, its a lot of fun and relaxing,

ill take em back and show them the case, and find some winchester or Remington Jrounds to fire for the cases
im bettin those will wake the neighbors,

runfiverun
04-29-2015, 12:32 PM
nothing wrong with them.
the soot will tumble right off.
you get that exact same thing from using unique in the low end loads [like 7.5 grs]
the soot doesn't hurt any thing and neither does the minimal amount of gas there.
I'd just go ahead and shoot them, and recycle the brass.

Redd508
04-29-2015, 10:07 PM
My 700x loads leave the brass a mess also but doesnt affect accuracy. Its easy enough to clean the brass for loading. You may consider a lighter boolit if you start casting. Lee makes a good 200 gr mold that will get you started without breaking the bank.