PDA

View Full Version : lead free solder as an additive for casting

marshhawk
04-29-2015, 11:04 AM
Hi All, I am new to this site and to casting bullets, I have come across 1lb. of lead free solder, it is marked 97% tin 3% copper, can this be used to harden my lead, I am limited at this time to a small supply of misc. lead shot for casting material, I am casting .358 SWC bullets, I will load them to about 850 / 900 FPS

Thanks, Marshhawk

sqlbullet
04-29-2015, 11:29 AM
yes. 1lb of that in 50 lbs of lead would give you about 2% tin content. Miscellaneous lead shot probably contains some magnum shot which will have antimony. 1-2% tin will sweeten that nicely for a good alloy for your purpose.

bangerjim
04-29-2015, 03:28 PM
You can use big box bought lead-free solder.........but that is a very expensive way to get a little Sn!

And Sb adds hardness lead, not Sn. Sn lowers the surface tension and allows for much better cavity fills.

Cu adds "toughness" which is different than hardness.

I cast all my subsonic loads at 9-12 hardness and then powder coat. PCing lets you shoot softer lead and save your alloys. And you do not have to mess with "which lube do I use" grease concoctions anymore. PC eliminates the need for grease lube (you do know you have to lube these things, right?), leaves NO leading, no smoke, and no sticky boolits in the summer. read all about it in the stickys.

Welcome to the madness

bangerjim

banger

marshhawk
04-29-2015, 03:48 PM
Thank You for your input, Yes I do know I have to lube the bullets, I use to cast bullets many years ago, when WW was easy to obtain, I have decided to start casting again as I am having trouble finding what I want at LGS or online, I am scrounging for lead and alloying materials and looking forward to getting my equipment going again

Marshhawk

RogerDat
05-01-2015, 07:29 AM
Sometimes when people are in a hurry to get some tin they purchase that same lead free solder from the big box store. Fastest way to go home with some good tin to help with bullet fill out & getting sharp lube grooves. Probably one of the most expensive options for putting a little tin in the melt but also the most obtainable.

Long term hit the swapping and selling forum here. Might have to check back through several pages but there are folks selling ingots of WW's, plain lead and pewter (which is 90% or more tin) at good prices. Or just post what you are looking for in Wanted to Buy sub forum.

That little bit of copper is a small bonus. Copper helps make the lead tougher, mostly applies to helping the projectile stay in one piece on impact. Think hollow point or hitting bone in larger game animals, keeping the bullet in one piece allows it to continue penetrating rather than shattering into a bunch of tiny projectiles and losing its momentum.

largom
05-01-2015, 07:40 AM
I look for lead free solder at yard sales. Seldom pay more than 50 cents for a roll.

Larry

Hardcast416taylor
05-01-2015, 04:11 PM
After I retired from plumbing for over 35 years I took stock of my tool boxes and stock shelves. I have found enough partial rolls of "lead free solder" to last me for quite a long time to come.Robert

bangerjim
05-01-2015, 07:16 PM
Now that the "laws" are in place for no lead in solder in plumbing, I am finding 25# rolls of NEW 50/50 at the scrap yards for a song.

Most of these environmental laws are pure carp...........but...........this one is in OUR favor!!!!!!! :drinks:

marshhawk
05-06-2015, 06:21 PM
Thank you all , I appreciate all your input!
Marshhawk

zuke
05-07-2015, 05:36 AM
Can't go wrong with it.It's a great source, especially at that price