PDA

View Full Version : Book recomandations?

Knarley
04-28-2015, 08:17 PM
I'm looking for a book that will give me the "skinny" on loading these beasties.

I have 3 books by Paul Matthews, "The Paper Jacket", "Loading the Black Powder Rifle"& one about so many years with the 45-70.
The Lyman "Cast bullet Handbook" & "Black Powder Handbook"
And Mike Venturino's "Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West"
I have numerous loading manuals (Books) from Hornady,Nosler,LEE, and a number of manuals from Ballistic Products for shotguns.

I'm looking for one that will explain weights & twist rates, neck tension,compression and why one bullet is called a "Postel" while one that looks very similar is a "Spitzer" or "Pointed Bullet".
One that can explain a "Long bore riding nosed bullet" from the rest, and weight vs length.
A BPCR cartridge 202 if you will. One that not only tells how, but why. A little more advanced so to say. No, I don't ask for much do I?:wink:

Thanks,
Knarley

Gunlaker
04-28-2015, 08:28 PM
Knarley, this one is pretty good. Most of what has been published is pretty old.

http://www.wahsatchdesperadoes.com/Intro_to_BPCR_Loading.pdf

Also, a few years ago Bob Glodt wrote a series of articles for the Black Powder Cartridge News on loading cartridges for BPCR. His articles were very well written and contain more information than some of the books out there. You might want to see if those back issues are still available.

It's a great magazine, although I like the older articles best. There is a lot of stuff in there these days about double guns and such that are outside of my areas of interest ( bpcr/bptr/schuetzen ). It is a good magazine though. The Single Shot Exchange has a number of interesting articles these days. I think that Lee Shaver writes some interesting stuff.

Chris.

rfd
04-29-2015, 09:03 AM
i haven't found a book, or any media for that matter, that truly simplifies and clearly explains all facets of bpcr loading. not that it's rocket science, but probably because it's just too unique and so many factors are invloved.

.22-10-45
04-29-2015, 07:06 PM
SPG Lubricant's Black Powder Cartridge Reloading Primer...full of valuable and reliable information: WWW.BLACKPOWDERSPG.COM (http://www.BLACKPOWDERSPG.COM)

M-Tecs
04-29-2015, 07:34 PM
I'm looking for a book that will give me the "skinny" on loading these beasties.

I have 3 books by Paul Matthews, "The Paper Jacket", "Loading the Black Powder Rifle"& one about so many years with the 45-70.
The Lyman "Cast bullet Handbook" & "Black Powder Handbook"
And Mike Venturino's "Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West"
I have numerous loading manuals (Books) from Hornady,Nosler,LEE, and a number of manuals from Ballistic Products for shotguns.

I'm looking for one that will explain weights & twist rates, neck tension,compression and why one bullet is called a "Postel" while one that looks very similar is a "Spitzer" or "Pointed Bullet".
One that can explain a "Long bore riding nosed bullet" from the rest, and weight vs length.
A BPCR cartridge 202 if you will. One that not only tells how, but why. A little more advanced so to say. No, I don't ask for much do I?:wink:

Thanks,
Knarley

Great questions but I haven't found a single source that answers them all.

John Boy
04-29-2015, 08:04 PM
Great questions but I haven't found a single source that answers them all.
The only source that over the years that has covered most of the Q's is Shiloh Rifle Forum. If your really serious for the answers - do a search of the Forum Archive
Also, buy a subscription to Black Powder Cartridge News and Single Shot Exchange. Example:

the Black Powder Cartridge News -2009 Fall - "Some Black Powder Compression Data" article by Bob Woodfill:
Caliber - 45-70
Lyman 457124
Constant volume of FFg powder used
Compression tested: 0" - 1/8" - 1/4" - 3/8" and 1/2"
Best 3 Shot Groups 100yds ... 5 shot groups were tested also, with the same compression values except for Goex (1/4") and Schuetzen (1/2")
Goex - 0.62" with 1/8" compression
Goex Express - 0.26" with 1/4" compression
Schuetzen - 0.61" with 1/4" compression
Swiss - 0.56" with 1/2" compression
KIK - 0.65" with 0" compression

And the one Paul Matthews book you missed with answers is More How-To's for the Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Shooter

country gent
04-29-2015, 08:36 PM
WHile more geared towards paper patched bullets I have LOADING and SHOOTING PAPER PATCHEDBULLETS A beginners Guide by Randolph S Wright. Alot of how tos whys and such in it also. Also alot of info on the web with the right searches its just sorting thru it and filtering the good from the bad.