PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have FTE issues with 45/45/10 tumble lubed boolits?

zanemoseley
04-28-2015, 08:19 AM
I've got nearly 2000 rounds of 200swc through my new Les Bear Concept III, nearly all have been my cast boolits, I've had many FTE issues. I've identified that my pistol much prefers 7 round magazines to the factory 8 rounders or even Wilson Combat 8 rounders. The last time I took it out I ran 200 rounds through it, the first 75 or so rounds had no failures but in the last 125 or so I had 3 FTE. When I strip down to clean there is always a pretty good buildup of wax/lube on the feed ramp. Is the tumble lube contributing to my FTE issues? I originally went with the tumble lube to avoid buying a lube sizer, I currently use the lee sizing dies which work great and are fast. If needed I can upgrade to a lube sizer but really aren't excited about the extra expense and time required.

Bigslug
04-28-2015, 09:04 AM
I've identified that my pistol much prefers 7 round magazines to the factory 8 rounders or even Wilson Combat 8 rounders.

Wow! John Browning knew what he was doing? Imagine that!:kidding:

Failures to eject are usually some manner of failures to properly extract. Pull your slide apart, clean out your extractor channel, reassemble the slide and slip a round under the extractor hook. You should be able to shake lightly and not have the round fall off (a little rattle is ok). If it falls out super easy, you're light on extractor tension. Not likely with a new Baer, but it's a place to start.

Edit: also check to make sure your CHAMBER is clean and shiny, not just the bore. If your brush isn't wide enough to get the crud out, you can use the mouth of a .30 carbine/.38 Special/.357 Mag case as a scraper.

runfiverun
04-28-2015, 10:03 AM
try not putting so much on the boolits.
I cut my 45/45/10 to more like 45/45/50, and apply it to hot to the touch boolits.
it dries a whole lot faster and I use a whole bunch less.
it still gets the job done.

zanemoseley
04-28-2015, 09:19 PM
We should patent the name 140% lube.

runfiverun
04-29-2015, 01:50 AM
I think I got about 140 lube recipes wrote down in a notebook and a bunch I ain't got to yet.
:lol:
I have modified the 45/45 lube with bees wax/lanolin/tre-wax, and a couple of other oils and solids.
the original attempt was with straight jpw and bees-wax in an attempt to duplicate 22 lr wax lube.
it actually worked out pretty well but was as hard as a rock when dry.

GoodOlBoy
04-29-2015, 03:33 AM
FTE can be a real bear to figure out, particularly if it's intermittent. And don't rule out a tired shooter with a soft wrist and a heavy recoil spring. Just saying. Most of my issues have come from fouling and lack of lubrication between my pakerized frame and slide over the years. May start out cooking with gas, and next thing ya know between a milspec recoil spring, and some dirty cheap loads I start getting stovepipes, etc. Doesn't help if I get wore out in the process. 99.9% of the time a quick blow out and squirt with rem oil, or 3-in-1 and poof back in the running.

GoodOlBoy