PDA

View Full Version : Is the "No USA Lead production thing true, or did I hear wrong?"

Smithy
04-28-2015, 01:35 AM
You all know how rumors are and how they can get spread so I wanted to through this out there to see if there is any validity to it. I've read/overheard that the only US Lead refinery got closed down by the Federal Government (read Obama) and will not longer to mine and process it's own lead. Now if that's the case the rumor goes, then we will be totally dependent upon foreign lead and the prices and tariffs that brings. Government wants to put the squeeze on ammunition and the for the folk that buy it (or components), will have to eat exorbitant prices to get any of the foreign stuff. Now I have a LOT of lead stocked up, but as with anything, it will some day run out.

So do I go on a concentrated lead acquisition phase or is this a bunch of hooey and should be ignored at all costs. I not only cast, but swage as well as all of my projectiles are made solely of lead, period. I just saw a "How Do They Do It" on batteries (car type) and that was full of the recycling of old to new lead, so at least the battery folk are still dealing with large quantities of lead and similar alloy's. Let me know as I'm very concerned about this one for sure. Smithy.

jmort
04-28-2015, 01:38 AM
Wait for it...............................D...........O.... ..........E....................................... .R............................U................... .....................N
As I/some predicted, the price of lead has actually declined since we ceased production of refined lead.

lightman
04-28-2015, 05:34 AM
This is kinda old news, but tis true. I'm taking it serious enough that I actively search for and buy lead even though I probably have a lifetime supply.

Sasquatch-1
04-28-2015, 05:49 AM
I did hear there is still an active lead refinery in Canada but that there are no more in the states.

We just need to be more ECO Friendly and recycle more.:grin:

GabbyM
04-28-2015, 07:32 AM
Some say the lead acid battery is on the way out of use. To be replaced by lighter new technology batteries. Wheel weights are either recycled lead or zinc. I don't know much about new battery technology. However if we do start using other materials in auto batteries. We'll have a huge glut of lead.

We're cutting a tree down this spring. Will be standing up sections of it's trunk to make a back stop for boolits. When it starts to get soft in several years. I'll burn the logs and recover my treasure of silver metal.

sqlbullet
04-28-2015, 09:31 AM
Keep in mind too that lead recycling rates are astronomically high, and that recycled lead does not differ in quality from virgin lead from ore. Combined with declining demand for lead due to regulation in other industries, this means we probably don't need to refine lead from ore. In fact, as the pricing indicates, there is a surplus and lead prices are falling.

Sasquatch-1
04-28-2015, 10:46 AM
My recycling comment was directed to those of use who recycle used bullets from the berm. Believe me the last thing I would want to be is an eco fanatic.

RogerDat
04-28-2015, 01:43 PM
The EPA or Obama make a convenient whipping boy but while cost of US environmental regulations is part of the picture I'm pretty sure the overall cost of production has a bigger influence. US lead mining output has dropped a small amount since 2010 but not much. China and Australia have increased mining output as well as finished lead output. A few other countries have increased their output also. However aside from Australia these other countries offer a much lower cost, and lead production is not especially high tech. The ancient romans were doing it so not much surprise when a developing country decides to smelt the ore locally. Aside from the higher return to their economy of shipping refined ore over raw materials there are several other minerals of value commonly found with lead ore that are extracted during smelting and refining. Silver for one.

So what you want battery companies to do buy US lead at a higher cost or cheaper lead on the global market which helps keep battery prices lower? Of course with a reduction in US labor force that the lead mining/smelting industry represented. Few workers in that field vs. lots of people buy a car battery. Hey I know a government regulation requiring US lead be used...... NOT. Or maybe the US worker should work for the wages that they do in China or Mexico so our lead smelting industry labor costs can be competitive with these developing countries. Why would the American worker need more than $5 a day?

Another way to look at it is we are not digging up our own stash of lead ore, we are buying it from others. Ours is not going anyplace and we are still #3 in overall lead production in the world.

MaryB
04-28-2015, 09:11 PM
Doe Run was the last PRIMARY lead smelter from ore in the USA. There are several smelters recovering and recycling all kinds of scrap lead.

GhostHawk
04-28-2015, 10:15 PM
I have bought range lead here twice in the last year. Probably still sitting on 100 lbs of that stock.

Father in law had 3 large 20+ pound blocks that I removed for him. Scratch's like pretty soft pure stuff.

So I'm sitting ok, but if in doubt, go round up some!

dtknowles
04-28-2015, 11:49 PM
I wonder if we import enough lead acid batteries to provide an ample U.S. Lead supply

Tim

Smithy
04-29-2015, 02:43 AM
Hey guys I knew that having lead was not going to be the problem (as mentioned above I also probably have a lifetime collection of the stuff now as well), I just wanted to hear directly if it was an issue or not. A lot of time you get these gloom and doom sellers of otherwise Prep or Die scenarios clogging up your email and I'd rather rely upon the truth rather than comments by gloom and doom experts. I use to work at a nuclear power plant and to hear the Mother's for Peace talk about it, I was coming home each day with gloop dropping off my jacket and landing all over the place especially the local school I drove by getting home. Of course that was not the case, but on stuff I don't know about, I want to know about it. That was the prompting for my post. Thanks to all that had an answer and to Dusty for the deluxe explanation and links. Smithy.

Hickory
04-29-2015, 03:14 AM
I have a little put away.

odinohi
04-30-2015, 08:48 PM
Nice lookin stash hickory!

jmort
04-30-2015, 08:50 PM
The Doe Run ingots are quite valuable, collectors items.

Sasquatch-1
05-01-2015, 07:35 AM
That has that pretty purple blue sheen to it. Is that pretty much dead soft?:mrgreen:

I have a little put away.

GhostHawk
05-01-2015, 08:25 AM
Sasquatch in my experience, yes. Only see those pretty purples when very close to pure soft lead.

Hickory
05-01-2015, 12:36 PM
That has that pretty purple blue sheen to it. Is that pretty much dead soft?:mrgreen:
It's dead soft lead.
I picked this up a few years ago. The guy said it was 2200 lb.
Paid a ridiculously low price for it. It's still got the bands on it just as it left Doe Run.

Shooter6br
05-01-2015, 02:20 PM
Have Hilary Clinton just say the lead was for Russia or Iran and she could send to us instead

dragon813gt
05-01-2015, 03:26 PM
It's dead soft lead.
I picked this up a few years ago. The guy said it was 2200 lb.
Paid a ridiculously low price for it. It's still got the bands on it just as it left Doe Run.

Each of the pigs should be in the range of 100-110#. That's a good bit of lead :)