PDA

View Full Version : Bullet weight and bearing surface length for a C. Sharps 40-65

polebilly
04-27-2015, 02:20 PM
Finally got up the nerve to order a C. Sharps high wall in 40-65. I'm needing advice from members who have a barrel chambered in 40-65 by C. Sharps on the topic of proper bullet fit for the reamer they use. I will probably have a mold made up by Accurate. This will be used for silhouette and would like advice on bullet weight and bearing surface length. Thanks.

Litl Red 3991
04-27-2015, 02:57 PM
Depending on what weight bullet you intend to shoot, my advice would be to choose whichever RCBS CSA mold is closest to that weight. I've been shooting all 3 weights since 1995 in my C.Sharps 40-65. I had molds made for other rifles and expected to have one or two made for the 40-65. The first CSA (stands for C.Sharps Arms) mold I got shot so good, I never bothered to dabble with custom designs and just ordered the other two weights.

The RCBS 40-300 SP CSA was the first. It's presently the bullet used for the local Buffalo Matches that are scheduled by 3 clubs around here. They're shot at 100 and 200yds around here as we don't have a lot of prairie in North Carolina, and few clubs with more than 200yd ranges. It's been loaded over black, subs, and smokeless and is good enough to shoot at clay pigeons at 200. Back when I was shooting NRA BP silhouette, I'd use the 40-400 SP CSA for all 4 animals until it dawned on me there was no rule you gotta use one weight. I really just used that as an excuse to buy the 40-350 SP CSA mold. It turns out that the 350s could do ok on the rams if need be. And the 300s did ok on the chickens, pigs, and turkeys.

Early on, seating them forward improved accuracy and allowed room for more BP, two good things to get for no real effort. Apparently, moving a bullet that was made for the chamber is one of the tricks that actually works.

You're going to love that rifle and that cartridge. I've enjoyed mine so much that I ordered a C.Sharps hiwall awhile back. Got a call from John yesterday asking for the ffl to ship that puppy. Mine has got a 40-70SS chamber in it. Already got the brass and sights waiting in the shop. Figure to run off some boolits this week. Got enough 300s for awhile, but figure 350s are going to suit the 70SS better. I believe the standard back in the day for those two cartridges were 333gr. And from pictures, the old slugs look pretty much like the RCBS my molds drop.

Do you plan to come down to Roanoke to shoot silhouette?

Litl Red 3991
04-27-2015, 03:14 PM
BTW, sorry for not being any help with what you wanted, but I wasn't simply looking to steal your thread. In fact, my advice would be to look seriously at the RCBS designs and by all means have a mold made. Then if you wouldn't mind lending me the mold....

Truth is, an awful lot of special bullet shapes look very much alike and the RCBS CSAs look about the same.

Oh yeah, just about every RCBS mold I've got has been good to excellent from the git-go. These for my 40s have been excellent.

My accuracy testing over the years has shown my 40-65 works the 300s best around 1400fps (obviously with smokeless (5744 to be exact)) and having a BHN around 8-11. Black seems to work best with 1:25 or 1:30 alloy. BP of course, gives whatever velocity it's going to give with a full case.

Let us know when your hiwall shows up. Hope you get some real advice on the bullet design.

country gent
04-27-2015, 03:25 PM
Talk to Bernie Roweles at Old West moulds ask him to send you pictures of his 40 cal 400 grn Nasa bullet desighn. I have been shooting it all last summer and fall with great results. Late last winter I ordered a 2 cavity version of it. Its a great desighn especially with black powder as it seats roughly .125 shallower into case leaving more room for powder. Its bore riding and only one big grease groove. On my 30" barrel I have a lube star forming in 4-5 rounds.

2Tite
04-27-2015, 03:44 PM
My C Sharps 40-65 hiwall has a fairly tight chamber. Fired brass takes a .408 diameter bullet to slip fit. A .409 won't go in. It has a short throat and an 18" twist. That being said, at the longer ranges (600) some of the bullets you find are too long for the twist and become unstable. I also have the RCBS series of molds and find they cast at around .412 and are .001 or so out of round. I have much preferred the molds offered by Buffalo Arms. I have another C Sharps in 40-70 BN and find the barrel dimensions and throat to be the same in both rifles. I hope this helps.................

Gunlaker
04-27-2015, 04:02 PM
I don't know what the chambers look like on the CSA .40-65's but if you have a 1:16 twist you will likely be happy with a 400gr bullet.

Many of us with Shilohs in that cartridge have excellent results with the Saeco #740 bullet and the 400gr BACO Money with three reduced driving bands.

Chris.

kokomokid
04-28-2015, 08:33 AM
My shooting partner shot a c-sharps 85 before getting his 74 and used a 40-420bpcs mould. It made a big ugly oversize and out of round bullet that he had to scrape the vent whisker off of. I am sure RCBS would have gladly given him a new mould but he was death on rams with it even in high winds. His grand daughter later shot it in competition with the same results. I gave him snover and money bullets to try but they never shot as well as the old RCBS.

Hiwall55
04-28-2015, 09:32 AM
I have a couple of RCBS moulds to sell. 1-40-BPS 400 casts .408+.400. 2- 40CS-400 casts .410+ .400. The C Sharps mould looks like a saeco 740, both shoot well in my 40/65s but I'm shooting a money bullet. Sell for 55.00 shipped each, buy both for$100 shipped

Litl Red 3991
04-28-2015, 02:28 PM
Was just looking through the Accurate catalogue (for maybe the 50th time) and spent some time comparing the 41-335B to some of my RCBS bullets. It appears to have been made to fit the 40 caliber Badger barrels C.Sharps has used for years. And from what I've heard about Shilo 40s, would fit them too.

Has anyone got any experience using that 41-335B Accurate mold/bullet?

How about anyone with Accurate mold experience?

Chill Wills
04-28-2015, 08:13 PM
In your opening post you mention the rifle will be used for Silhouette. If by that you intend black powder cartridge silhouette; the 500 meter game, I would look beyond the above mould. You will likely try a few moulds if you have more than just a passing interest in silhouette shooting, the above mould will be a waste of time and money. I did not say a bad mould, for you who might want to read other than what I meant but if your intentions are BPCR silhouette, that bullet is not worth the distraction.
Get a heaver bullet no longer then 1.375 - 1.4" and it never hurts to have a more efficient nose to buck the wind.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Cast_Bullet_Molds_it-160172.aspx?CAT=4156

This is just one example of many that could work well.

Gunlaker
04-28-2015, 08:44 PM
Michael that bullet seems quite good in my Shiloh .40-65 over 60.5 grains of OE 1.5. I've just started playing with the OE, but twice in two range sessions I've put 9 out of 10 into three inches of vertical at 300 yards so it's looking up. I need about 3 minutes less elevation at that range too over the Saeco #740 loaded with FFFg Express which might be a good thing. I haven't decided whether to switch yet this year as both bullets are about equally accurate, although I've shot the Saeco bullet a lot more.

Btw, Dan told me the BC for that Money bullet is 0.475, and the Saeco will be around .406 or so. It never hurts to have a more efficient bullet :-)

Chris.

country gent
04-28-2015, 09:10 PM
Another way to go is look at Buffalo arms and others for some pre cast bullets ( 20-1 lubed with spg if shooting real black) buy 40 or less and test to see what works and then look for that mould. Knowing ahead what you want need helps alot. And saves on moulds costs some. Also you can ask for test bullets in swapping and selling under boolit exchange. ( better still as the members can tell you the mould number with the bullets.) Look for something in 400 grn range

jlmurphy
05-01-2015, 06:37 PM
You would save time and money if you knew the bore and chamber dimensions before buying moulds. The bore on my rifle is too tight to fit the nose of the RCBS CSA bullets. Some .40 cal barrels are .401/.410 and some are .400/.408, too loose and you will be disappointed. Been there.....