PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Piggyback II VS LEE Load Master ?

JesterGrin_1
04-27-2015, 12:31 PM
RCBS Piggyback II VS LEE Load Master?

I thought I would ask before spending tight funds.

I have an RCBS Piggyback II currently but I will need a few parts for it to work mainly a loading press that is compatible for the RCBS Piggyback II or modify one to enable its use and since I have not found one used then I would have to purchase a new press expressly to use the RCBS Piggyback II.

Or for just a little more funds spent I can get the LEE Load Master.

At this time I only intend to load .38Sp/.357 Magnum on either of these two reloading systems.

Thank You.

troyboy
04-27-2015, 04:40 PM
I'd think if you are patient, a used press will come your way. This will be cheaper then buying a loadmaster. Any parts needed to make the press run RCBS will replace. The shellplate and press should be your only expense. The other option purchasing a loadmaster will have use beyond your current plans. If it were me, I'd try the piggy. If it did not meet expectations then it would be sold.

wcp4570
04-27-2015, 09:11 PM
If it were me, I would make a list of all parts needed to make your PB operational then call RCBS customer service. RCBS will make your press operate correctly free of charge. I have a PB original that works great. The only upgrade I would add is the Case Activated Powder die. I have one on mine and highly recommend it. The PB 1 and 2 had horrible powder stations. I load mostly 38/357 on mine.

Catshooter
04-28-2015, 02:21 AM
Jester,

RCBS will send you the parts you need to make the PB work for no charge. Except for the press to install it on! :)

Regarding the Lee Loadmaster, there is a whole forum dedicated to making that press work like you'd think it should.

Cat

JesterGrin_1
04-28-2015, 03:02 AM
Thanks again Gang.

I will probably keep looking for a bit for a dedicated press for the RCBS Piggyback or get a new Lee Classic Cast Single Stage press and simply drill the locating hole in the press for the Piggyback.

I have already purchased the needed shell plate. And I was going to purchase the Hornady case activated powder drop for use with my RCBS Uniflow. But I will still need to purchase the small drum assembly for it. The purchase of the Hornady Case Activated Powder Drop is moot as I was going to purchase the item for use on either press.

I will probably not mess with the primer function on either press as I would rather prepare my brass separately and prime before loading. As from what I have read that no matter what press one may use there always seems to be some kind of primer system problem.

Steve E
04-28-2015, 11:23 PM
I have been using my Piggy Back II on a Lee Classic Cast press for 14 years or so (I got it about a year after they came out, ever how long that was), I just adapted an RS 3 today to use my PB II on if the Lee is busy.

Steve........

garym1a2
04-29-2015, 08:12 AM
You need the whole forum on the loadmaster if you get one. Its the worst press I own. It's primer system never worked.

Jester,

RCBS will send you the parts you need to make the PB work for no charge. Except for the press to install it on! :)

Regarding the Lee Loadmaster, there is a whole forum dedicated to making that press work like you'd think it should.

Cat

TCFAN
04-29-2015, 09:01 AM
I have a piggyback II that I use for 38 special only. Works very well. The case activated powder drop is the way to go.I used the Hornady unit with a RCBS powder measure for several years.Some where along the line I tried a Lee Pro auto powder drop and found for my use that it works out better for me....Terry

mold maker
04-29-2015, 09:47 AM
I've successfully used a PB 2/RS for over 28 yr on 38/357. Just don't short stroke it.

kryogen
05-01-2015, 09:48 PM
The loadmaster priming system doesnt work reliably enough to consider it "working".
You get sideways primers, missing primers or upside down primers, and you cannot notice or feel it, because it primes on the downstroke.
So you get loaded rounds that you have to pull, or powder spillage everywhere and it jams the press, plus you have to pull those rounds.

The last times I have used the primer system, I would manually check every case after priming before powder, but I got pissed because I was scrapping too many primers.
I got 2 replacement arms + a spring and piston from lee, it still doesnt work. Read online a bit, it's quite obvious that their priming system is a fail.

The rest works but i consider it an economy option... There is slack, i dont like it. I have one but should just have spent the money on a better dillon press. Its not worth it buying junk.... Thats just my opinion.

I resize and prime on a single stage, and then feed primed and sized brass through the loadmaster. That works, but the toolhead bolt and shellplate bold always slack, so you have top tighten every 50 rounds or so. And also sometimes the indexing rod jams, if you were a bit too fast with the handle while it gets pushed out. Eventually it gets full of dents, because it's a soft metal, and then it jams even more....

Technically, you can get it to work, but the priming is fail and I wouldnt call the rest of the press reliable....
The case feeder "works" most of the time, but with 9mm you have to hand feed tubes one by one, so it's not really faster than just not bothering with that and just feeding brass one by one.

Then it's pretty much like a square deal B, except the square deal B actually primes....