PDA

View Full Version : chargemaster accidental dumps

AbitNutz
04-27-2015, 11:03 AM
After reading just about every review I decided to purchase an RCBS Chargemaster. I'm extremely happy with it. However, I did note one complaint that nearly everyone has is...accidentally leaving open the drain port and dumping powder.

Has anyone come up with a way to prevent this? Or at least minimize it? It hasn't happened to me....yet but I know it will.

Love Life
04-27-2015, 11:09 AM
Has anyone come up with a way to prevent this? Or at least minimize it? It hasn't happened to me....yet but I know it will.

Check it before you put powder in it.

osteodoc08
04-27-2015, 11:13 AM
It's not just the RCBS. I've forgotten once on my Hornady model. It's just one of those things you have to remember. I guess you could flag it or paint the dump a different color as a reminder.

gray wolf
04-27-2015, 12:15 PM
When your done for the day and the machine is cleaned out leave the port open,

Roll a piece of note paper into a small cylinder shape and put it in the port with a few inches sticking out.

It should be visible.

JesterGrin_1
04-27-2015, 12:22 PM
Check it before you put powder in it.

You never cease to kill me lol.

On a more serious note as mentioned in the previous post use anything that will catch your eye to note that the valve would be open. Or if the worry is that you may open it during operation by accident then simply make some kind of cover for the valve. One could even attach the cover to the side of the machine with stick on Velcro.

I also have the RCBS Charge Master and I have to say I have no idea other than cost why I waited so long to get one. Great Machine.

Love Life
04-27-2015, 12:30 PM
You never cease to kill me lol.

On a more serious note as mentioned in the previous post use anything that will catch your eye to note that the valve would be open. Or if the worry is that you may open it during operation by accident then simply make some kind of cover for the valve. One could even attach the cover to the side of the machine with stick on Velcro.

I also have the RCBS Charge Master and I have to say I have no idea other than cost why I waited so long to get one. Great Machine.

I speak from the experience of filling the hopper full of ramshot magnum while the valve was open. Only took one time and now I check that little valve religiously!!

dudel
04-27-2015, 12:41 PM
How about a "Close before Flight" streamer on the port? :D

Some tape over the port, or a small stopper so that it would be a two step process?

JesterGrin_1
04-27-2015, 12:43 PM
I speak from the experience of filling the hopper full of ramshot magnum while the valve was open. Only took one time and now I check that little valve religiously!!

Yep I cheated lol. As when I first purchased it and I read of many people doing the same thing I said to myself myself like many others well I will never do something silly like that but just in case lol. I set it on a small table and placed a funnel under the dump valve with a tube going down to a powder container. I am very glad that I did that since I was silly enough to do it once lol. But it sure is nice when I am done to just open the valve and let it run into the container. :)

osteodoc08
04-27-2015, 01:04 PM
Yeah, you've never seen powder stream so fast as when you see it pouring from the dang dump port. I did it once........hopefully the last time too!

Hardcast416taylor
04-27-2015, 01:09 PM
Kinda like the old saying about driving a vehicle. "Make sure brain is running before starting the vehicle"! My question is, "Why leave the drain open after emptying the hopper"?Robert

Love Life
04-27-2015, 01:20 PM
My question is, "Why leave the drain open after emptying the hopper"?Robert

A very good question. Before I put any powder in the chargemaster, I always blow it out with compressed air to ensure there is no powder from the last load session hanging out. I got in a hurry, and the result was very fine ball powder all over my bench. Even though I caught it fast, that is some fine stuff that got everywhere!

DR Owl Creek
04-27-2015, 02:31 PM
I did the same thing with my Lyman DPS 1200 and ball powder ONCE! That's the first thing I check now before I fill it.

Dave

Jim_P
04-27-2015, 04:10 PM
I glued a 4" stick that points up, to the valve edge. Kinda like a flag. I used Goop glue to do this (Hot Glue should work too). Don't point the stick straight up when the valve is closed when gluing. You'll understand why the first time you dump powder.

Since you take the ChargeMaster to the edge of the table to hold the bottle under it while dumping, you can only open the valve while it's at the edge of the table.

Simple.

When I get home tonight, I'll post a pic. But some can figure it out from the text.

You can see when Open, there's no way to have the Chargemaster sitting on the bench. It has to be at the edge. The stick off to the side like this, it doesn't get in the way of the container you're pouring into.

Closed the Chargemaster sits on the bench and the stick is visible at the keypad. Notice how the bottom of the stick in this position is touching the bench. This is so even a partial opening will cause the Chargemaster to be off kilter. If it were possible, an inverted 'Y' would be the best solution with the other short leg of the 'Y' touching the bench as well. No possible way to have the valve even partially open.

Oh, the stick is about 6", not 4". The stick was a Chopstick from the local Chinese Buffet. Total cost for this was - nothing!

Now, if someone wants to make something like this out of Aluminum and sell it, please let me buy the first one out the door. Some rod and a clamp for the OD of the dump knob (for lack of a better word) would be easy if I had the tools. I don't....

dragon813gt
04-27-2015, 05:22 PM
After cleaning it out after a session close it. It should only be open for the cleaning. Leaving it open anymore than this is tempting fate. I don't understand why so many have this issue.

Love Life
04-27-2015, 05:38 PM
I ate paint chips as a kid.

kfarm
04-27-2015, 06:03 PM
On my hornady I took a magic marker and painted the dump spout with the valve opening. So if I see black I know it's closed. That has kept me from pouring in powder while the valve is open. Also I use a foam ear plug in the powder spout to keep it from spilling when filling or not in use.

r1kk1
04-27-2015, 07:44 PM

Lol!

r1kk1

cheese1566
04-27-2015, 08:09 PM
After cleaning it out after a session close it. It should only be open for the cleaning. Leaving it open anymore than this is tempting fate. I don't understand why so many have this issue.

Me too!

Hardcast416taylor
04-27-2015, 08:20 PM
I was just sitting here thinking (a dangerous thing for me), did this problem occur as much back when gunpowder was "less" expensive?Robert

dragon813gt
04-27-2015, 08:45 PM
Yes, it's been occurring since people started using the Chargemaster. Now people just care a little more.

AbitNutz
04-28-2015, 06:16 AM

LOL! Thus your affinity for lead?

Geraldo
04-28-2015, 07:49 AM
I made a red reminder label that says CHECK POWDER DRAIN and taped it to the cover of the powder hopper.

Lars-K
04-28-2015, 11:17 AM
I took a plastic powder cam and cut the bottom off. Made a cut for the valve. Keep it on the side of my ChargeMaster all the time. So, when draining I dump the powder into the can. AND, always remember to put it back in place afterward...

Jim_P
04-28-2015, 10:36 PM
All you guys who remember to close the valve or check must be under 50! :kidding:

kRuger
05-16-2015, 02:26 AM
Just make it a habit to close the valve after cleaning out what ever powder was in it. Then of course check it again before you put anything back in.

MtGun44
05-16-2015, 03:45 PM
Pretty much like how to not back into a tree. Look carefully
before you back up, EVERY SINGLE TIME.

25ring
05-16-2015, 03:53 PM
I put one of those shallow 2.5 cup Ziplock containers under the valve,the edge of the valve hooks over the container edge.At least when I forget to close it,it just fills the container.FWIW--Mike