PDA

View Full Version : Two year wait rewarded with range membership. Penny and I are tickled.

Tallbald
04-27-2015, 01:50 AM
There's several nice ranges in my area of Kentucky, both indoor and outdoor. The Green River Gun Club outside Bowling Green is an outdoor club, with a nice Cowboy Action range, IDPA range, dedicated rim fire range and a general range up to about 385 yards. There's a limited number of memberships available though to prevent overcrowding, and Penny and I have been on the waiting list for an opening two years. Happily, waiting has paid off though and we were offered a slot this month which we quickly accepted. Everyone we've met there has been friendly, and several times I've been a guest and while there seen families enjoying range time together. Membership is very affordable too which is quite important to Miss Penny and me.
GRGC is far down in a beautiful hollow and there's lots of wildlife to enjoy. On occasion when I've been there as a guest, I've had to wait for deer, groundhogs or turkey to wander off the 100 yard line so I could continue shooting. Those big woodpeckers 15 inches tall abound, and the overall appearance of the range is just wonderful. Occasionally a class 3 firearm owning member will be there when I am, and I'll get invited to try out a subgun or suppressed weapon. Black powder weapons are more than welcome too, and there's always something interesting to look at. Conversations are frequent and lively amongst members.
Now Penny and I can enjoy shooting more often, and I can continue to enjoy range time with a good friend of mine who's taken me as a guest dozens of times without feeling that I'm shooting on his nickel.
I just wanted to share my wife's and my good news about membership and thank everyone here for all the help that's been offered over the last year to me, a new bullet caster. Below is a link to the club's website. Don.
http://www.bggrgc.com/

MrWolf
04-27-2015, 06:44 AM
Congrats! Looked at the pictures and the place looks great. Hope it is everything you waited for.

Ron

texassako
04-27-2015, 09:06 AM
Nice looking range. I know how hard the wait can be, 3 years and still waiting for a range near me.

pworley1
04-27-2015, 09:12 AM
Congratulations to both of you.

jcwit
04-27-2015, 09:21 AM
Happy for you and yours in finding a nd joining a range I'm sure you both will enjoy for years to come.

rockrat
04-27-2015, 12:46 PM
Congratulations on getting your membership.

Thats one thing, if I move to the Front Range of Colorado, from where I am now, is that I don't know of any decent ranges in the area. I am 11 miles from our range and we go to 565 yards, with hopes of expanding someday(I really hope--1mile:)). No waiting to join here, but we are getting closer to our limit we have set. If I move to Oklahoma, so the wife can be closer to her elderly parents, there is OKCGC and Red Castle, but thats all I know of and I am sure there is a long wait list for either.

mexicanjoe
04-27-2015, 06:43 PM
I guess I'm spoiled and don't know it. I have access to a free public range 52 miles away where the inlaws live. Range out to ??????? If you ever travel West Texas you'll know what I mean. My buddy has a caliche pit with target stands and various goodies available. He teaches CHL, and special operations training..... My only problem is getting time to reload and shoot!!!!!!

dragon813gt
04-27-2015, 06:49 PM
Congrats on becoming a member. I'm hoping the ranges I belong to begin to limit membership. There has been unprecedented growth since 2008. W/ membership creeping up on 1k the longtime members are starting to get tired of waiting to shoot and the problems the new members have caused. Went from knowing everyone's name to not knowing anyone :(

Finster101
04-27-2015, 06:51 PM
Very nice! My Dad is from Columbia and I still have family in Russell Springs. Really pretty country up there. Hope you enjoy it.

James

MaryB
04-27-2015, 11:04 PM
Never feel guilty about being a guest of a range member! My range tells members to bring as many guests as they like and often times they end up as members in a year.