PDA

View Full Version : Lyman and Saeco size dies.

looseprojectile
03-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Got a bunch.
What do you guys think about the idea of making a thin adapter to use these dies in a loading press just like the Lee push through dies?
I have been using the Lee sizing dies lately and like the simplicity of the operation and LLA is plenty good for my use for most boolits.
I think it would be a simple drilling, reaming, boring job on the lathe.
I have lots of old loading dies I could machine out. Would need two different diameters for Saeco and Lyman dies.
A simple shell holder could be turned to hold a top punch in the ram.
Anyone done this? Do any of the die makers sell these already?
Life is good

MT Gianni
03-14-2008, 11:04 AM
I would buy the lees if that is what you want. Sell the LY and Saeco and you would have enough cash to do so. They still have the holes in them and you are stuck with out their main purpose imo which is to lube with. Gianni

looseprojectile
03-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Montana;
Youre probably right, may be an instance of reinventing the wheel, LOL.
Sorry about the double post. My puter was telling me it couldn't find the server when I tried to post. Confusion!
Back to sizing. I think it may be easier and faster to use the push through dies and LLA . I have just recently been using the Lee sizer dies and have been getting good results with that method and it seems easier and faster.
With the tooling I propose I would have the choice to use the dies either way, gives me more versatility, maybe? I'll think more on it.
Life is good

floodgate
03-14-2008, 12:39 PM
looseprojectile:

A I recall, Buckshot and some others here made up some adapters such as you describe, two or three years back, to use Lyman/RCBS sizing dies in a Lee (or other) press as a "push-through" operation.

Can someone come up with the relevant post references?

floodgate