PDA

View Full Version : SKS Stripper Clips and Sight Adjusting Tool

Maven
04-26-2015, 12:03 PM
This is a heads up about Chinese arsenal made NIB stripper clips for my Type 56 SKS (Chinese, late production/spike bayonet) and a sight adjusting tool also for the SKS which I recently purchased on EBay. The caution isn't about the quality of the items, but about how poorly some of the stripper clips fit my new, i.e., unfired, SKS. The elevation adjustment on the sight adjusting tool wouldn't fit the front sight post either. A few minutes with cut-off disks in my Dremel (with a hand piece*) cured both problems. Thought you'd like to know.

*This is so much nicer and precise than using the cut-off wheel or other tools in the bulky Dremel.

Remiel
04-26-2015, 01:58 PM
got a pack of circle 31 strippers and have had to adjust a few with pliers, fork fine now and was still worth the 5 bucks

Maven
04-26-2015, 02:36 PM
Those are the ones, Remiel. Got a bunch more to do though.

Remiel
04-26-2015, 04:19 PM
even with the work they are worth the price, the sight tool however i just borrow my smiths tool to do it so no experience with it

Maven
04-26-2015, 06:31 PM
Remiel, This is what it looks like: http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-62x39-SKS-Front-Sight-Adjust-Windage-Elevation-Adjustment-Tool-/221441753995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338ef5038b After some gentle work with the Dremel/cut off wheel, it fits perfectly; i.e., the elevation adjuster fits perfectly. The windage adjuster was good from the get go.

Remiel
04-26-2015, 10:04 PM
looks like the one i have seen for the Mosin Nagant, still looks worth the price even if its modified a bit,

Frank46
04-26-2015, 11:48 PM
I have some chinese strippers that held the old copper washed steel cases and bullets. Problem I had was getting them to strip the cartridges into the mag on my sks. Little gun oil and some 400 wet or dry silicone carbide paper to polish off some of the parkerizing worked out great. Same thing with 303 strippers. Cases would get scratched up due to the rough park coating and burrs when the clips were stamped. Some silicon carbide paper backed with a flat file took out the burrs and feeding was way easier. Frank

Tackleberry41
04-27-2015, 12:12 PM
The old stripper clips we used to toss on the ground as all the ammo generally came on clips, are way different than the ones being sold now. One would think the Chinese could make a decent stripper clip, but its China.

Maven
04-27-2015, 01:10 PM
"One would think the Chinese could make a decent stripper clip, but its China." ...Tackleberry41

The used stripper clips for my 1st Type 56 worked without a hitch, but everything that's made in China isn't a ***. E.g., I've examined probably a dozen Type 56 SKS's and have been impressed by the workmanship, especially the bolt/bolt carrier. What's more, we used to operate a Chinese steam locomotive, SY Class 2-8-2 #142, which was extremely well made, so much so that you had to work at poorly firing it, i.e., shoveling coal into the firebox, to get it to smoke.

Yodogsandman
04-27-2015, 01:37 PM
I made a sight adjusting tool from a tire valve stem removing tool using a Dremel for mine. At the time, I didn't know you could just BUY them for $5!

Remiel
04-27-2015, 07:53 PM
the Chinese used Russian tooling on the sks then tried to improve it, personally im not a fan of the pined barrel on them but if it works I can work with it