PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Shooting Steel Challange with 9mm

Virginia John
04-25-2015, 08:49 PM
I am looking at shooting the Steel Challenge at one of the local ranges, they have it as a monthly event in the good weather. I am going to be using a Glock 9mm and I am wondering about what weight bullet and what powder charge to use. I would like to hear about experiences with a 9mm and shooting the Steel Challenge.

Thanks

Kraschenbirn
04-26-2015, 01:15 PM
I think the answer to your question might depend upon local match rules and which course(s) of fire they're shooting. The official Steel Challenge rules only specify minimum caliber (9x19 or .38 Spl)...no requirement to meet IPSC 'Major'...but, for safety reasons, some clubs don't allow 'magnum-level' loads. Other than a few less-than-formal club matches, I haven't shot 'steel' competition for several years but, when I did, I loaded to 'softball' levels for both my revolvers and autos. There's no 'knock-down' requirement for Steel Challege...'it's all hit or miss'...so, like conventional bullseye or PPC, all you need is an accurate load with sufficient velocity to get it to the target. Back in the day, I shot a .38 Super using lead 125 gr. RNs over 5 gr. of AA#5 for around 1000 fps. Same or similar should get the job done in a 9mm.

Bill

garym1a2
04-26-2015, 05:58 PM
When I don't have to worry about Power factor I use a Lee 120TC bullet with a little over 3.5 gr of bullseye. When I want a good power factor load I use WSF and work up a load well under book max. Being by 9mm Glocks are conversion barrels in G22 and G35 these still work well. Though my favorite load is the Lee 175gr Tc in 40s&W and a powder puff load of WST.