PDA

View Full Version : Fancy Twisty-Do Bullets! Can we cast them?

Super Sneaky Steve
04-25-2015, 08:09 PM
I like the idea of this stuff.
http://www.polycaseammo.com/products/inceptor-arx

It's a solid that is supposed to create a wound like a hollow point.

I see no reason why we couldn't cast something like this. Do you think mould makers will jump at the opportunity to offer us cutting edge bullet technology?

https://youtu.be/72NNefk6c1s

Video of the stuff in a gel block.

pworley1
04-25-2015, 08:13 PM
I think I will just shoot hollow points.

texassako
04-25-2015, 08:17 PM
It looks like you would need a 3 sided mold and I guess you would need to cast with zinc to get the weight down to 74 gr and up the speed. Another solution looking for a problem. I would rather get a proven NOE or Mihec hollow point mold.

country gent
04-25-2015, 08:24 PM
It could be done but how I could see some real issues with release of the cast bullet from the mould.

Super Sneaky Steve
04-25-2015, 08:26 PM
It looks like you would need a 3 sided mold and I guess you would need to cast with zinc to get the weight down to 74 gr and up the speed. Another solution looking for a problem. I would rather get a proven NOE or Mihec hollow point mold.

I was thinking of casting with lead. A 90gr lead bullet in 9mm is easy enough to do. I'm not sure how much speed is needed to get these things to work.

Super Sneaky Steve
04-25-2015, 08:29 PM
Technically these are cast. Injection moulded. You can see at the tip where the goo went into the mould. I'd be curious to see the mould, but I doubt they would tell me much about it if I asked.

Yodogsandman
04-25-2015, 09:07 PM
Buy the bullets and take some of them out to make your own casting mold from an epoxy silicone casting resin such a RTV630 ($300/QT). Much slower than injection molding though, but, you could make these for yourself! The bullet could be made from a pourable polymeric plastic mixed with ground copper added. Experimentation would be surely needed to get the right plastic/copper ratio and weight. Looks like a fun project!

I think I would just buy what you need or cast your own HP's and be done with it.

Blammer
04-25-2015, 10:01 PM
I didn't see a price per box anywhere. Anyone see or know? just curious.

mongoose33
04-25-2015, 10:14 PM
Take a look at this sticky just above:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?181398-phillips-head-anyone

rondog
04-25-2015, 10:55 PM
Pass.

C. Latch
04-25-2015, 11:01 PM
Tell me again what it does that I can't already do with what I have?

runfiverun
04-25-2015, 11:51 PM
you could even modify it, I would think that a 4 sided driver bit like that would be easier to make and get to feed well.
all you'd have to do is figure the draft angles.
I dunno how you'd cut a mold for cast though cause a CNC machine still cuts a mold in circles.

but where there is a will there is a way.
you could get a swage die set and have a custom top punch made in reverse then swage the boolits into that nose shape without too much drama.

TXGunNut
04-26-2015, 12:17 AM
Looks like a swaging proposition to me as well. Looks more like a drill bit than a boolit.

runfiverun
04-26-2015, 01:09 AM
if you look at the profile it's a ball ammo copy with some notches cut into it.

Slow Elk 45/70
04-26-2015, 02:02 AM
I can't see a need for boolit like this, what would or could it do that a HP can't... if it ain't broken , don't fix it....especially when it would involve all the B.S. that this would....IMHO , but have fun , so good luck.[smilie=1::confused:

Ballistics in Scotland
04-26-2015, 05:52 AM
Such are the benefits of powder coating that we can't really tell what metal they are made of, or whether they are without lube grooves, and therefore swageable. I would be skeptical of their doing (at least dependably) what other bullets weren't. Presumably whatever happens in a gun with right-hand rifling doesn't in a gun with left-hand.

Blackwater
04-26-2015, 08:17 AM
I also noticed that the bullet's path in the gel wasn't very straight at all. This could be a significant factor in the wounding ability too. If we aim for the heart, for instance, the errant path may make it miss our actual target within the chest cavity. I'm not sure I'd trust them .... just yet, anyway. Most bullets like this have a heyday up front, and then get tweaked, and finally dropped due to technical reasons like molds being very expensive to produce. We handloaders tend to be a rather thrifty lot. Still, though, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Stuff like this is always, at a minimum, interesting.

1Shirt
04-26-2015, 08:57 AM
Interesting, but I think I also will pass!
1Shirt!

mdi
04-26-2015, 11:52 AM
While I do little hunting and use large meplate solid bullets for SD, I wouldn't rely on hollow points to consistently expand at most handgun velocities. I have shot a few HP lead bullets and those that I recovered didn't expand in the "classic" manner, and lots of the HPs just clogged and acted like a sold. I guess the bullet pictured was supposed to act like a "saw" or "drill" from the rifling twist as it entered flesh. Or it just looks "dangerously cool" ie;, marketing hype...

Bigslug
04-26-2015, 01:02 PM
Ummmmm. . .don't you think the aerodynamics of that goofy nose and the spin from the rifling might work against each other?

Not seeing anything in the vid a flat nose isn't doing already.

BUT: If you can figure out how to cast non-round boolits in a multi-cavity mold, I'd love to start mass producing Civil War era hexagonal Whitworth slugs. . .

fatnhappy
04-26-2015, 02:41 PM
NJ legal

blikseme300
04-26-2015, 07:51 PM
A solution for a non-existent problem. A soft .45 boolit trumps any of these fancy projectiles.

LuckyDog
04-26-2015, 09:13 PM
I think it might be a solution for a 380 auto.

See Lehigh Extreme Penetrator video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LczfeWK9lHw) on AmmoQuest.

Lehigh pushes that it is CNC'd from lead free material. I wonder why it wouldn't work in a cast or hard cast. I would love to have a mould to cast something like the Lehigh XP.

MtGun44
04-27-2015, 12:15 AM
There is a screw driver that looks a LOT like that, triwing or something like that.

Ballistics in Scotland
04-27-2015, 06:59 AM
There was a bullet design of some years back, continental European I believe, which was advanced as a way to obtain stopping power with a full metal jacket. The nose had extremely concave sides, amounting to a sharp concave point, and the theory was that the pressure wave radiated to its sides would coalesce at the centre of that approximately circular curve, and act like a bullet of much greater diameter. Funny that bullets with radiating pressure waves punch untorn holes of their own diameter though paper, though. I would be very surprised if those didn't.

dudel
04-27-2015, 08:42 AM
I think it would be easier to cast round nose, then use a jig and mill to cut the flutes. Question is, is the extra work worth it? Easy enough to experiment with though.

That should really start a discussion about making your own SD ammo! [smilie=1:

MBTcustom
04-27-2015, 09:43 AM
There is a new bullet design that is guaranteed to trump all the others. It's made of a homogenous reactive material that has all the benefits of a pre-fragmented glazer slug, as well as the sudden shock and devistation of the best hollow point ammunition devised by man. It expands rapidly, but not too fast, it retains 90%+ of its weight after impact, and it has years of solid science and technology backing it up. The ultra dense technology used to create these projectiles, makes these bullets ideal for penetrating thick clothing, and the proprietary nose shape prevents clogging of the HP which is common with competitors offerings, but it's instant reactivity limits it's lethality to a single target (when used in common SD handgun cartridges).
To top it all off, it's fairly inexpensive when compared with other SD projectiles of similar weight.

This new projectile is guaranteed to be the absolute best option for the defense of life liberty and property, we proudly offer you the best bang for your buck in a bullet we call:
The LFN cast bullet.

gpidaho
04-27-2015, 10:00 AM
I agree^^^^^ Hard to improve on the sledge hammer effect of the wide meplat RNFP GP

captaint
04-27-2015, 11:24 AM
It's all about the sales folks. Gotta have SOMETHING to sell. A new gimmick. Like many have said, a solution looking for a problem. I think I'll stay with my NOE 135gr sweetheart !!!! Nice flat point.... Enough weight for penetration. I'm not standing in front of it..

LuckyDog
04-27-2015, 11:49 AM
NOOB here,

What is the L in LFN? (Large? Flat Nose)?

What is the GP in RNFP GP (Round Nose Flat Point G__ P__)?

I'm looking for 380 Auto SD rounds. The XTP or Lehigh EP show good performance out of a small (LCP or Taurus style) pocket pistol. I just am wondering what in cast would be like that out of such a small pistol.

dondiego
04-27-2015, 04:56 PM
Lead Flat Nose = LFN

dkf
04-27-2015, 08:21 PM
Getting the mold made is going to be cost prohibitive. It can probably be done with only two halves but you obviously cannot cut it with a cherry or bore it with a lathe. So yo are stuck with EDM or cutting the profile of each cavity on a cnc mill.(preferably 5 axis)