PDA

View Full Version : Henry Arms Co. 44-40 Replica Bullet n Load Recommendations

HighTwelve
04-25-2015, 05:59 PM
I finally won something in a Friends of the NRA raffle and it was a really cool thing to win. I just did the paperwork yesterday and took possession of a NIB brass frame Henry replica.

Dies and a shellholder have been ordered from Midway and I think that I can swap for some cases or just buy 100 or so. Midway is sold out forever (apparently) on the Rem and Win jacketed 200 gr flat noses and I wanted to cast anyway, so I am looking for mold and load recommendations.

I will admit that I have not fired up the pot in ten years or so because I have been busy coaching junior smallbore rifle team teams, but I probably have as much casting experience as the next guy as I have cast and fired a gazillion .38 and .45 WC's, not to mention shooting .45-70's (two trapdoors and a custom offhand Rolling Block) and even .50-70's (trapdoor and original Sharps). My problem is that my info is ten years out of date as I look at the powders now on the market and I don't recognize half of them. I still have enough 4759 to last me till I die but I cant find loading data for it except in dog eared manuals and then not for the .44-40.

Anybody else still have their last can of Hi-Vel #2 sitting on a shelf over their bench for old times sake?

I have retired from coaching (can't really keep up with the kids anymore) and I am looking forward to getting back into casting and shooting so I need all the help that I can get.

My sizer lubricator is a Star so that's going to need a die, too.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

According to Henry Arms (I called them), factory spec calls for .4225 land diam and .4285 groove diam.

bob208
04-25-2015, 06:19 PM
any of the loads listed in the manual. I like unique. I use the r.c.b.s 200 gr mold. one thing make shore you have the primers seated all the way. i have heard of guys dropping the rounds down the tube and having a problem. never seen it myself. in my uberti I size to .429. you can use .44 mag cases in a pinch.

courth
04-25-2015, 06:24 PM
My 44 WCF guns seem to like about 35 grns of
goex FF behind a 200 grn soft cast

dikman
04-25-2015, 06:38 PM
Can't help with the loads, but what a great raffle prize!:drinks:

Outpost75
04-25-2015, 07:21 PM
Best results will be to use soft alloy no harder than 10 BHN, and a bullet sized .429-.430", which should chamber fine in Starline brass. If you shoot smokeless powder you will need a bullet having a crimp groove. This isn't necessary with black powder because you will shoot a compressed caseful of powder, which will support the bullet base and prevent the bullet from being pushed deeper into the case under pressure of the magazine spring.

A charge of 6.5 grains of Bullseye, 7 grains of Red Dot, 8 grains of Unique or 9 grains of Herco all work and are safe in your Henry repro. Avoid the "Group 2" loads intended for Winchester 92s or 1894 Marlins, for even though your new Henry is of modern materials, you still are limited by the weaker mechanics of the link-locked action.

The best bullet for the .44-40 is the Accurate 43-215C, which is very well proven and was designed by forum member 44WCF.

If you will buy bullets, rather than cast them, find a supplier which can give you bullets in .429-.430 diameter and no harder than 12 BHN. Softer is better.

gpidaho
04-25-2015, 08:46 PM
For light loads in the 44-40 I use 5.5gr. Trail Boss for heavier 8 to 10gr, Unique This is with the Saeco 205gr RNFP. That Henry is a great score, happy for you. GP

gpidaho
04-25-2015, 08:51 PM
As stated above, be careful working up with the Unique. My loads are fired in a Ruger Revolver. GP

pworley1
04-25-2015, 09:24 PM
I have one of the Uberti copies and it likes the Lyman 42798 over 9g of unique.

doc1876
04-26-2015, 02:47 PM
just rememBer you are working with a toggle link in a brass frame. Start light.

Le Loup Solitaire
04-26-2015, 09:37 PM
The original bullet claimed by Lyman is their #42798 which IIRC is around 205-215 grains and probably ought to be loaded to around 1200-1300 fps which was what the going speed for loads with black back in the day. The toggle link actions were never considered to be strong in the 73's. LLS

doc1876
05-01-2015, 06:52 PM
here are three of my loads for the Henry. I usually shoot another load in the revolvers.

200JHP Trail Boss 5.5g 700fps

200gJHP IMR 4227 13g 850fps

200g FN W231 5.6g

John in PA
05-03-2015, 08:54 PM
The other thing to remember when loading for the Henry repro is that it is extremely sensitive to cartridge over all length to function with the cartridge lifter. Also nose shape must be close to the original bullet shape to feed well. Any extra weight of a bullet design has to be inside the case. Nose length and shape outside the case have to conform to standard if you're not planning to single load.

If you ARE going to single load for accuracy, the standard 245 gr Keith-type semi-wadcutter shoots quite accurately in the Uberti Henrys, but it will not feed, even if the C.O.A.L. is correct due to the sharp shoulder on the bullet nose.

pietro
05-03-2015, 10:42 PM

Just a caveat, not about loads, but about loading the rifle.

Henry 1860 (design) rifles from any modern maker are prone to have an unintended discharge IN THE MAGAZINE TUBE if the rifle is held vertically and the live cartridges just dropped down the magazine tube, then the compressed magazine spring suddenly released.

The best practice, when loading a CF Henry Model 1860 design is to hold the rifle with the muzzle end raised only slightly, then just push the cartridges down the magazine tube, then hold the follower ear while the front of the magazine is twisted back in alignment with the magazine tube - then lower the follower manually (as opposed to simply releasing it).

doc1876
05-05-2015, 05:04 PM
Very good advice

cajun shooter
05-08-2015, 11:00 AM
If you have a problem finding any cases, contact me and I will help you with enough cases to shoot your new rifle.
Take time to shoot some original BP loads through the rifle so that you may understand what the men who first used it went through. If it's fired more than a few rounds with BP, you will have to use a piece of leather to grip the barrel in a forward position.

PS A good all around smokeless load is 8 grains of Unique with the 200 grain bullets. Take Care David