PDA

View Full Version : Need a Primer on Gas Checks

miestro_jerry
03-13-2008, 10:24 PM
I have several varieties gas checks, Hornady, Lyman and ones from the bulk buys.

Is there a primer on gas checks, sizes, dimension, speed limitations and what other information out?

Thanks,

Jerry

Bret4207
03-15-2008, 07:38 AM
Jerry, I've watched your post for a couple days now wondering if anyone would answer. I don't really know what it is you're asking. Could you expand on it a bit?

square butte
03-15-2008, 08:22 AM
I think Jerry is asking for a tutorial on how to use gas checks. What problems might he encounter using checks from the various makers and in using differnt styles of sizersto check with? Also info regarding choosing the proper check for different molds. Is there a go to source for this kind of info on gas checking. I've been waiting to see what people might have to input here too because I'm new to gas checking and need some of the same info.. For instance. I have a Star sizer, But have a local Cast Bullet business owner, who also sells quite a bit of used reloading equipment, telling me that you can't really gas check with a star sizer. It appears, from the posts I've read here, that many of you do check with a star sizer. Since I haven't tried it yet, I don't know what kinds of problems he has with the Star. But he uses a Lyman 4500 in his shop to check with. I was about to order a .310 and .311 die from Magma untill I talked with him last week. Now I'm in a bit of a quandry about it. I have checks on order from the recent group buy for .30 and .35. Also some older Lyman in .35. How important is the size of the push through rod? I size my plain base bullets nose first. Same with gas checks, or base first? Is there some reading I might be able to get my hands on? I think you guys are going to be Jerry and my best source of truely good and practical info..

Bret4207
03-15-2008, 01:37 PM
I can't answer for a Star as I've only even seen 1 that I recall and I'm not sure if I used it. But if it works like a Lee or a push through Lyman/RCBS then I don't know why it wouldn't seat your checks. Star guys? Wanna chime in here?

As for the rest- the nominal GC size goes with the nominal boolit size, ie- 30GC= 30 cal boolits, 35GC= 35cal boolits. There are some overlap areas- 30 cal GC is used on boolits from .30-.312 cal, the 30 calibers, .303 calibers, 7.62, 7.65. The 32 cal checks cover 8mm and .318-.324 or so with the weird .329 thrown in depending on mould maker. .338 checks cover .338 and some odd metrics, again depending on maker. 35 covers 9mm, all the 38's and 357s and 35/9mm rifles. 40 cal GC covers 40 and 41 cals. 44 and 45 follow suit. The samller cals work the same way.

There is no velocity limit due to a GC. The velocity limit is due to the zillion and 1 other factors involved. The particular GC brand has never altered anyones velocity limit one way ot the other as far as I know.

What did I miss?

Newtire
03-15-2008, 01:39 PM
I hope this addresses at least some of your concerns. I don't have a Star so can't help you on that one. One of our members-"Springfield"-has a few of them hooked up & he knows the ins & outs of those things I'll bet.

I use both a lyman 450 and a Lee push thru die. I would just have gone with the Lee's except for wanting to lube with something else aside from Lee Liquid Alox. The Lee is a nose first sizer and works well and would work with any pan lubed boolit I suppose if I were to take the time to do that. The Lyman works for me and puts the lube on too.

454PB
03-15-2008, 02:39 PM
I have a Star and two Lyman 450's. The Star seats gas checks just fine, and works pretty much like the Lee push through in that regard. As we all know, adding a gas check slows down the sizing process, and commercial casters would be affected the most. Not only do they add 3 cents or so to the cost of the finished boolit, but they increase the amount of time it takes for sizing by at least 5.

My method for both the Star and the Lee sizers is to place the check on the boolit base, place the boolit nose first in the die mouth, then gently "tap" the gas check with the punch. This does the same thing as using your fingers, bench top, or the nose punch of a 450 sizer to seat and align the check before it is pushed through and crimped in place. I find it's actually faster than the methods previously described to apply gas checks using a Lyman or RCBS lubrisizer.

square butte
03-15-2008, 03:49 PM
With the Star, is the size of the top punch critical to the size of the bullet and gas check? For instance, if i'm checking a .44 or .45 cal bullet and using a .30 or .35 cal top punch, will it distort the gas check? In other words, does the top punch used when checking with the Star need to be as close to bullet diameter as possible? With a Lyman sizer, do you have any of he same issues ( as seen in the Star ) with hole spacing and adjustment in the dies for proper placement of lube, or is that somehow sorted out for you with the Lyman dies? Regarding differnt brand gas checks, Have always heard theat the lymans were a press on fit and the hornadys were a crimp fit. Are both methods accomplished by Lee, Lyman and Star sizers? Lyman Sizers are suposed to include a gas check crimper, but I see no such reference to a crimper with Star and Lyman? Are Lyman sizers capable of either nose or base first sizing like the Star? That's alot of questions. Probably a few left but not sure what they are just yet. Thank you guys so much for you responses. Not sure what i'd do without you.

bobthenailer
03-15-2008, 06:10 PM
ive gas checked around 30,000 bullets with the star, i size nose first and on most bullets when putting the bullet into the sizer die lead the base is just about flush then i install the gas gk and push it home, this depends on the bullets gas ck shank and the size of the gas ck, some times i do have to put on the g c on the bullet first but most go on as stated . i have only used hornday gc and would use a 357 or larger top punch as far as accuracy goes you couldent ask for any better

Bret4207
03-16-2008, 08:38 AM
With the Star, is the size of the top punch critical to the size of the bullet and gas check? For instance, if i'm checking a .44 or .45 cal bullet and using a .30 or .35 cal top punch, will it distort the gas check? In other words, does the top punch used when checking with the Star need to be as close to bullet diameter as possible? With a Lyman sizer, do you have any of he same issues ( as seen in the Star ) with hole spacing and adjustment in the dies for proper placement of lube, or is that somehow sorted out for you with the Lyman dies? The Lyman/RCBS system uses an adjustable stop rod at the bottom of the sizer to set depth.Regarding differnt brand gas checks, Have always heard theat the lymans were a press on fit and the hornadys were a crimp fit. Are both methods accomplished by Lee, Lyman and Star sizers?Lyman and Hornady checks are both made by Hornady these days, they do crimp on. Lyman Sizers are suposed to include a gas check crimper, but I see no such reference to a crimper with Star and Lyman? [B]Available as an accessory Are Lyman sizers capable of either nose or base first sizing like the Star? Yes, but it's a different way of doing it.That's alot of questions. Probably a few left but not sure what they are just yet. Thank you guys so much for you responses. Not sure what i'd do without you. Tom

Hope that helps!

miestro_jerry
03-16-2008, 11:33 AM
I would like to know the dimesions as well as other characteristics, I did get some information from the LA Silhouete Club's website.

I have some other motives for asking this information, plus hase any one used a taller gas check than the common ones?

Jerry

joeb33050
03-17-2008, 07:01 AM
See The Second Edition of the book "CAST BULLETS FOR BEGINNER AND EXPERT" at

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/CB-BOOK/, in FILES.

4.2 GAS CHECKS has a lot of info, including the Hornady GC drawing.

I find that to get gas checks reliably square on bullet bases that I must seat thew in the 450 with the depth screw almost all the way up. This is the first step, for me.
joe b.